patriot/compass problems? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > patriot/compass problems?

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 11-22-2011, 06:32 PM   #1
vtjeepguy

patriot/compass problems?

So im looking into buying a new patriot or compass and was wondering if there is any common issues to be worried about? I just read about the tie rod issues but didnt find anybody with 09 or newer models saying that they had this issue? Is it not a problem on the newer models? Also has anyone had any issues with the CVT tranny? I want a trail rated model but they only come in CVT and im not sure if im a fan of that. Any input would be great!

vtjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2011, 06:40 PM   #2
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

do you actually plan on taking your jeep off-road? the CVT2 with the offroad package only gives you a 4WD low range, and it hurts your fuel economy. if you don't think you need 4 low, you might want to get a 5 speed (as it sounds like you really want in the first place)
IRSmart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2011, 07:56 AM   #3
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The CVT is an acquired taste for many. Very reliable and also disposable, don't rebuild- replace. I have 72K on mine with zero problems and others have reported well over 100K. Some had warranty replacements and a very few had to pay for it themselves.

The '07/'08 5 Speeds had had syncro delamination problems that has been fixed under warranty. The only real thing that I don't care for on the manual is the internal slave cylinder but all new stuff is going that way and only a few developed leaks/problems. Probably a non-issue. It does get you the best mpg and a little bit lower 1st gear than the CVT non-trail rated version.

If you do a lot of daily city/highway driving and won't be able to 'go play' very often then the Trail rated version may use a bit too much gas for you. If your not going to use the feature, don't pay for it every day.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2011, 03:48 PM   #4
vtjeepguy

ok, thanks a lot for the info! Im still not sure what im leaning towards. I just realized that jeep is offering $3000 cash allowance on Liberty's so i could have a liberty for around the same price as the patriot. Im going to the dealer friday to drive a few different model and see what we can work out for a trade.
vtjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2011, 06:14 PM   #5
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

I never got used to the CVT on the Off Road Latitude. That could all change with this alleged Computer/Transmission Software update I keep hearing about. Maybe my opinion will change with that.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2011, 08:03 PM   #6
WingedScapula
2009 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FujativeOCR View Post
I never got used to the CVT on the Off Road Latitude. That could all change with this alleged Computer/Transmission Software update I keep hearing about. Maybe my opinion will change with that.
I still think there's something weird with your CVT. The engine's RPMs seem unusually high.
WingedScapula is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2011, 10:47 PM   #7
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

I agree. But the natural response from a mechanic on a ride along is.."thats normal, just got to get used to it". Its been 10 months and Im not used to it.
Unread 12-26-2011, 12:05 PM   #8
MeganHewitt
2012 MK Compass 

Compass Problem

I bought my 2012 Compass on Christmas Eve with 8 miles on it. At the 23 mile mark I had to have it towed back to the dealership. They told me today it was an internal problem with the Power Control Module and I have to have a new one ordered and installed. This should come with the upgrades I'm assuming?
MeganHewitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2011, 11:41 PM   #9
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

My ex-gfs parents had tgat happen 3 times on a brand new GMC Jimmy. Took 3 computers fried before they figured out there was a bad or loose ground wire shorting out some place.
Unread 12-27-2011, 09:17 AM   #10
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganHewitt View Post
I bought my 2012 Compass on Christmas Eve with 8 miles on it. At the 23 mile mark I had to have it towed back to the dealership. They told me today it was an internal problem with the Power Control Module and I have to have a new one ordered and installed. This should come with the upgrades I'm assuming?
Yes it will have to be programmed on installation so it would be the current upgrade.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2011, 12:40 PM   #11
MeganHewitt
2012 MK Compass 

I just got it back, and so far it seems to be working okay. We'll see if I get stranded on my big drive I've got coming up.
MeganHewitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2011, 08:06 PM   #12
cdnroadwarrior
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganHewitt View Post
I just got it back, and so far it seems to be working okay. We'll see if I get stranded on my big drive I've got coming up.
Hope you made it!
cdnroadwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2012, 10:11 AM   #13
papasiggy
2011 MK Compass 

2011 compass

Only problem I've seen so far. I have a new 2011 compass with around 4000 miles on it. Last week the entire radio / clock display went black and no matter what I do there are no lights or display. I checked the fuses everything is looks good, I took it in and they have to order a brand new display unit. They said they've seen a lot of these come back. Maybe this is something others have had issues with and maybe something Jeep needs to look into. Been two weeks and part still hasn't arrived.
papasiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2012, 10:24 AM   #14
Ebunny07
2011 MK Patriot 

almost 10k on my '11 patriot. averaging almost 22 mpg (FDII) and has seen the dealer one time for a sunroof leak that was fixed and no issues since. The CVT does take some getting used to, and as quirky as it is, I enjoy mine.

I took it to rausch creek once, unfortunatly it was the day they got about 9 inches of snow, so i had to park it within the first hour because the trails were to much with the snow and terrain combined, but
Ebunny07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2012, 11:19 PM   #15
aberg12012

Wife has an 07 Compass with 40,000. Just replaced ball joints (i went the whole lower control arm route) and tie rods this past weekend. After doing a poor-mans alignment today it finally feels "like new." This is something i discovered is a common theme for these vehicles. Plan on it every 30 to 40 thousand. About a $1200 to 2000 job unless you do the work yourself as i did. Parts ran me about $400. (Again i replaced the whole control arms, as pressing out/in the ball joints was stupid hard and the control arm bushings needed to be replaced anyways.)

Oh, and the CVT.... LOVE IT! I drive a manual WRX and love driving her jeep. I love accelerating up an onramp and having the rpm's stay constant at 4 grand. There's something about it that satisfies my soul. Maybe its from my days of riding snowmobiles. However i still prefer the fun of a stick and clutch.

Last edited by aberg12012; 01-24-2012 at 11:30 PM..
aberg12012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.