JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Compass & Patriot Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/)
-   -   patriot/compass problems? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/patriot-compass-problems-1292519/)

vtjeepguy 11-22-2011 07:32 PM

patriot/compass problems?

So im looking into buying a new patriot or compass and was wondering if there is any common issues to be worried about? I just read about the tie rod issues but didnt find anybody with 09 or newer models saying that they had this issue? Is it not a problem on the newer models? Also has anyone had any issues with the CVT tranny? I want a trail rated model but they only come in CVT and im not sure if im a fan of that. Any input would be great!

IRSmart 11-22-2011 07:40 PM

do you actually plan on taking your jeep off-road? the CVT2 with the offroad package only gives you a 4WD low range, and it hurts your fuel economy. if you don't think you need 4 low, you might want to get a 5 speed (as it sounds like you really want in the first place)

Gramps 11-23-2011 08:56 AM

The CVT is an acquired taste for many. Very reliable and also disposable, don't rebuild- replace. I have 72K on mine with zero problems and others have reported well over 100K. Some had warranty replacements and a very few had to pay for it themselves.

The '07/'08 5 Speeds had had syncro delamination problems that has been fixed under warranty. The only real thing that I don't care for on the manual is the internal slave cylinder but all new stuff is going that way and only a few developed leaks/problems. Probably a non-issue. It does get you the best mpg and a little bit lower 1st gear than the CVT non-trail rated version.

If you do a lot of daily city/highway driving and won't be able to 'go play' very often then the Trail rated version may use a bit too much gas for you. If your not going to use the feature, don't pay for it every day.

vtjeepguy 11-23-2011 04:48 PM

ok, thanks a lot for the info! Im still not sure what im leaning towards. I just realized that jeep is offering $3000 cash allowance on Liberty's so i could have a liberty for around the same price as the patriot. Im going to the dealer friday to drive a few different model and see what we can work out for a trade.

FujativeOCR 11-23-2011 07:14 PM

I never got used to the CVT on the Off Road Latitude. That could all change with this alleged Computer/Transmission Software update I keep hearing about. Maybe my opinion will change with that.

WingedScapula 11-28-2011 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FujativeOCR (Post 12557399)
I never got used to the CVT on the Off Road Latitude. That could all change with this alleged Computer/Transmission Software update I keep hearing about. Maybe my opinion will change with that.

I still think there's something weird with your CVT. The engine's RPMs seem unusually high.

FujativeOCR 11-28-2011 11:47 PM

I agree. But the natural response from a mechanic on a ride along is.."thats normal, just got to get used to it". Its been 10 months and Im not used to it.

MeganHewitt 12-26-2011 01:05 PM

Compass Problem

I bought my 2012 Compass on Christmas Eve with 8 miles on it. At the 23 mile mark I had to have it towed back to the dealership. They told me today it was an internal problem with the Power Control Module and I have to have a new one ordered and installed. This should come with the upgrades I'm assuming?

FujativeOCR 12-27-2011 12:41 AM

My ex-gfs parents had tgat happen 3 times on a brand new GMC Jimmy. Took 3 computers fried before they figured out there was a bad or loose ground wire shorting out some place.

Gramps 12-27-2011 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeganHewitt (Post 12743485)
I bought my 2012 Compass on Christmas Eve with 8 miles on it. At the 23 mile mark I had to have it towed back to the dealership. They told me today it was an internal problem with the Power Control Module and I have to have a new one ordered and installed. This should come with the upgrades I'm assuming?

Yes it will have to be programmed on installation so it would be the current upgrade.

MeganHewitt 12-27-2011 01:40 PM

I just got it back, and so far it seems to be working okay. We'll see if I get stranded on my big drive I've got coming up.

cdnroadwarrior 12-30-2011 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeganHewitt (Post 12749061)
I just got it back, and so far it seems to be working okay. We'll see if I get stranded on my big drive I've got coming up.

Hope you made it! :)

papasiggy 01-24-2012 11:11 AM

2011 compass

Only problem I've seen so far. I have a new 2011 compass with around 4000 miles on it. Last week the entire radio / clock display went black and no matter what I do there are no lights or display. I checked the fuses everything is looks good, I took it in and they have to order a brand new display unit. They said they've seen a lot of these come back. Maybe this is something others have had issues with and maybe something Jeep needs to look into. Been two weeks and part still hasn't arrived.

Ebunny07 01-24-2012 11:24 AM

almost 10k on my '11 patriot. averaging almost 22 mpg (FDII) and has seen the dealer one time for a sunroof leak that was fixed and no issues since. The CVT does take some getting used to, and as quirky as it is, I enjoy mine.

I took it to rausch creek once, unfortunatly it was the day they got about 9 inches of snow, so i had to park it within the first hour because the trails were to much with the snow and terrain combined, but

aberg12012 01-25-2012 12:19 AM

Wife has an 07 Compass with 40,000. Just replaced ball joints (i went the whole lower control arm route) and tie rods this past weekend. After doing a poor-mans alignment today it finally feels "like new." This is something i discovered is a common theme for these vehicles. Plan on it every 30 to 40 thousand. About a $1200 to 2000 job unless you do the work yourself as i did. Parts ran me about $400. (Again i replaced the whole control arms, as pressing out/in the ball joints was stupid hard and the control arm bushings needed to be replaced anyways.)

Oh, and the CVT.... LOVE IT! I drive a manual WRX and love driving her jeep. I love accelerating up an onramp and having the rpm's stay constant at 4 grand. :) There's something about it that satisfies my soul. Maybe its from my days of riding snowmobiles. However i still prefer the fun of a stick and clutch.

The time now is 07:44 PM.