Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Patriot Cabin Air / Exhaust fumes Problem

9K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Gramps 
#1 ·
We have a problem with our fan when we are at a stop with the car running. We do not remember this being a problem before but it is now and it's bad.

When the fan is on just moving air through the car and we are at a stop, we get a WHOLE LOT Of exhaust fumes in the cabin. I used to think that it was pulling in bad air from the cars in front of us be we have pretty much concluded it's pulling in air from our own car! It's a nasty rich smell. We are having to turn off the fan at every stop light or when crawling through slow moving traffic. This happens even when it is running heat through, air, or AC air.

Anyone know what could be causing this? Last tune up they did replace the filter but this did not help at all.

This cannot be healthy nor an acceptable "design" feature.

*****RESOLVED!!!! SEE BELOW****

#3 ·
Does it happen just like I described... when idling or moving slow? I guess you could say it smells like gas. It's just a rich, rich, awful smell. We can't even turn the fan or heater on in the morning until all the windows are closed and the car is moving.

#4 ·
as you said..but, in my case also while i was the freeway..after a while it disapeared and will eventually return..

at first i thought it was from the cars around me..then out in the open road i still smelled it..it s something im going to have to mention to the dealer this week..

#5 ·
I have smelled the same thing a few times and since I don't drive much "in traffic" and I'm out in the open I figured it was a "vapor trail" left by someone else. I've also smelled hot brakes, anti-freeze and barn yards the same way and I new that it wasn't coming from me. :D

#6 ·
Anybody figure this out yet! I just picked up a 2007 Patriot, and I have noticed the same exhaust-type smell in the cabin. If I turn the air on recirculate, or turn the fan off the smell goes away. Wondering where the cabin air is pulled in from. Any ideas? I'd like to get this figured out and fixed if possible.

#7 ·
I just wanted to post that this was FINALLY resolved. It was going from bad, to worse to intolerable. First time, dealer could not find anything (cough, cough) but when we took it in a month ago for something else, I BEGGED them to resolve the fume problem. Begged lets say about half a dozen times.

Turns out it was a faulty catalytic convertor and it was replaced under warranty. Now, NO MORE FUMES!!!! We can leave the air on all the time.

What a disappointment but thank god it was covered. So for anyone else with fume/exhaust issues, have them start there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.