Patriot brake problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Patriot brake problems

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 07-29-2013, 05:29 PM   #1
Bigtones

Patriot brake problems

Hey everyone , I'm new here so if this isn't in the right place I'm sorry. I have a 2007 jeep patriot and I'm having some brake problems. There aren't any lights on on the dash but it feels like the brakes are always on a bit. Really sluggish start and when you let off the gas it slows right down. I took out an abs fuse and it drives fine? Any suggestions?

Bigtones is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 06:59 PM   #2
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

CVT transmission? The car by design slows itself down. Technical term used by some is "Engine Braking". Technical term used by others is "annoying". I guess in theory it could make your brakes last longer between maintenance since you can coast almost completely to a stop. Personally I think it costs gas mileage because you have to stay on the gas longer to get to intersections.

Here is a test. When you're going 35ish, and let off and it feels like it's dragging, tap the accelerator briefly for a split second. This seems to disengage the engine braking, and it gets it's coast back. If you feel the drag go away, then what you feel like is brakes, is normal behavior.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 04:47 AM   #3
ddavidv
2008 MK Patriot 

If you suspect the brakes, jack all four wheels off the ground (you can do one at a time, but it's more work). Spin the wheel by hand. They should all spin somewhat freely for a revolution or two. There will be a very small amount of drag on them. If the wheel won't spin, or spins only a couple inches and stops, then you probably have a dragging brake. If it's the front, the caliper(s) could be getting sticky from corrosion, either in what they slide in of their brackets or the piston inside could be getting stuck (less likely). If it's the rear, you could have the same issue (if disc) or something hung up inside the drum (if drum) OR a parking brake cable may be seized. Being in Nova Scotia I'd suspect something is corroded and hanging up. The affected wheel will probably also be generating more brake dust and should be hotter to the touch after driving than the other ones.
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.