Patriot 4wd? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Patriot 4wd?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 06-24-2009, 08:45 PM   #1
jlaudio_jeep
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Patriot 4wd?

I want to know if I buy a 5 speed 4wd Patriot Limited is it really 4wd or is it awd? I want the ability to lock in 4wd with the fun of a 5 speed manual. I know you can get an auto with 4wd high and low but can you get that with a 5 speed? If not I will be leaning towards the Wrangler again. I love the look of the Patriot and the gas mileage but if I cant have REAL 4wd with a manual transmission than I'm not as interested as I thought I was. Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

jlaudio_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2009, 04:00 PM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The MK's FD I is an on demand AWD system that is capable of manually locking into 4 WD with a lever. There is no Hi/Low on the MK's. The FD I has a higher final drive ratio than the FD II and has limited off road capabilities but not nonexistent. That depends more on the tires, equipment, driver and the situation. I wouldn't take either on the Rubicon.

I moved this over here for better visibility.

How the MK AWD system works

Ratios: CVT 2 vs 5 Speed

Let us know if this answers your question.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2009, 04:35 PM   #3
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

As a DD or light trail riding a Patriot is fine but when comparing them to a wrangler there is no comparison, one is and SUV the other is a car with a little more ground clearance. But yes you can get a manual with 4wd that can be locked in a Patriot, it just won't have low range or as much ground clearance, and skid plates, tow hooks that the Freedom Drive II has.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2009, 05:26 PM   #4
jlaudio_jeep
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info. I guess at this point its just going to be what I like better after I drive them both. I would like the ability to take what I buy through some serious off road situations but I have a 78 Scout II with dana 44 front and rear with a 345 V8. I just don't trust the Scout to make the 90 mile trip to Badlands in Attica, In. That's why I thought it would be nice to have the Wrangler but I know I don't need it for my daily driver just to play in. The Patriot will work just fine for work and winter driving I'm sure but I probably wont take it to Badlands. Last question: what does it do when you put it in 4wd lock? Is it all wheel drive until you lock it in or is it 2wd and when you lock it in its all wheel drive?
Unread 06-26-2009, 01:35 AM   #5
Tony1911
2007 MK Patriot 

It's an AWD until you lock it.
Unread 06-26-2009, 04:19 AM   #6
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Dry pavement and non-slippery conditions - FWD
Ice, snow, rain and other intermittent slippery conditions - AWD on demand
Deep snow, sand and prior knowledge that conditions will be slippery like Badlands - 4WD Lock.

Unread 06-26-2009, 05:20 AM   #7
jlaudio_jeep
2000 TJ Wrangler 

thanks for the all the info I have all the info I need now to make a smart decision when I go to buy.
Unread 06-26-2009, 05:21 AM   #8
jlaudio_jeep
2000 TJ Wrangler 

You can close this thread now if you want.
Unread 06-26-2009, 03:33 PM   #9
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I'm glad that you found the answers that you were looking for but we don't like to close threads. Another may have the same questions and need a slightly different explanation and decide to post it here.

Unread 06-26-2009, 10:44 PM   #10
jlaudio_jeep
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Oh ok I'm also on Explorer forums and they like to close them. I just thought that most forums were like that.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.