Patriot 2.0 vs 2.4 as commuter - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Patriot 2.0 vs 2.4 as commuter

Jeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontJeep Grand Cherokee Window RegulatorComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 11-01-2007, 09:10 AM   #1
DWNSOUTH
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Patriot 2.0 vs 2.4 as commuter

I'm looking at purchasing a Patriot for my daughter to commute to college and work. I have done a bad thing in getting her hooked on Jeeps since she was small. Right now she drives my old '96 ZJ which has been modified a bit. With the amount of driving she is doing, we have been looking at finding a fuel efficient car. Surprisingly, she turned her nose up at almost all other cars (Altima, Civic etc). She immediately took a liking to the Patriot. She realizes that she can't get a JK (what she really wants) and get good fuel efficiency. All things considered, is there any pros/cons over the 2.0 and 2.4. Since this is a purchased based on fuel efficiency, is the 2.0 a better deal. Have driven both and for a small engine can't complain. Even the CVT which is odd seems to work well with these small engines.

2" Teraflex BB, ProComp ES3000, 30" BFG AT's, Flowmaster 40
DWNSOUTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2007, 09:36 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Here are some opinions http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/2-0-engine-452127/. No other feed back. I would think that as a commuter for flatlands it would be fine, might suffer on resale when the time came for that.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2007, 02:46 PM   #3
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

Its only what, 20 HP difference? If she wants a manual you need the 2.4L, 2.0L is not offered with anything on any of the MKs or Caliber platforms with a Manual. That being said, I have a 2.4L Caliber R/T and enjoy it, on open highway stuff I can get 30 or so from the EVIC, and have gotten as high as 32 with mine. Probably can stomp the socks off of it with a 2.0L, but you never can tell. Mopar= a rough translation of More Power, so, being that type of guy, I got the 2.4L for the extra HP and torque. You won't be on teh skinny pedal as much with it, so I figure that SHOULD help gas mileage a little. As far as the best gas mileage goes, the Caliber SE and SXTs with the 1.8L manual get 32+ I have seen one guy on a caliber forum end up with 36 MPG from it. Honestly, I think she has it right with a Jeep over a 'yota or Honda. Like I said, more power=more better!
Comparisons:
2.4L(auto, available in manual):
173 HP @ 6000 RPM
165 @5,200 rpm
21 city, 25 highway (getting far better than these!)

2.0L (auto only):
150 HP @ 6400 RPM
141 @ 5,200 rpm
23 city, 27 highway

1.8L (manual & Caliber only):
143 HP @ 6400 RPM
125 @ 4,400 rpm
24 city, 29 highway (again, know of a guy getting upwards of 30, 36 was his best thus far)

I'd also like to have the power and never need it than need it and not have it.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.