Pat performance - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Pat performance

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Artec JK Under Armor BellypanEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-09-2012, 07:19 PM   #1
08MK74
2008 MK Patriot 

Pat performance

my 08 jeep patriot (2.4l, 4x4, cvtII, closing in on 70,000 miles) is lagging in the performance department, not that it ever was a stellar performer. my question to all those more mechanically inclined than i, what performance mods can i make to increase torque/horsepower? i swapped the stock air filter with a k & n which seems to have made a slight difference (cold air intake next?). am i limited by the cvt when it comes to boosting torque and hp?

08MK74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2012, 07:29 PM   #2
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Is speed what we are after? You could pimp out the stereo and get better audio performance (my plan), or lift it for better off road performance. (pretty sure I've seen mildly lifted Pats with bigger tires). But if it's speed, I think you have the same roadblock I have...the Cvt2. I was hoping you could change the final drive gears in the diffs to the standard Pat gears which should make it faster and more efficient but Gramps on here says the computers among other things wouldnt allow that mod. Other wise I'm not sure you'd ever feel power changes because the CVT programming.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2012, 07:39 PM   #3
08MK74
2008 MK Patriot 

the stock stereo leaves something to be desired too, but i'm mostly talking horsepower and torque
08MK74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2012, 09:48 AM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Shorter tires will make it QUICKER off the line but cut down on your top end, and vice versa. I'll be looking at a new exhaust before too long do to being in the rust belt and I'd like a better flow and a deeper sound, no fart cans allowed!

I was never sold on the air filter bc less restrictive can mean more crap going into the engine. The computer chips that some advertise is worthless. With all of the computer stuff even squealing the tires is work. You need to turn off the ESP to accomplish that and that's not advisable.

Being able to control the computer programming from the dash could change things a lot, including destroying the engine.

I do remember the days when 1hp/cu.in. was a BIG deal. We are getting 172hp out of 144 cu.in. and decent mpg too.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2012, 09:10 PM   #5
General_Jeep
1994 ZJ 

Go to a Caliber forum they seem to do alot of turbo upgrades most make more power than the SRT4 versions. Even then you would need a stronger transmission and axles most likely. I believe the transmission I have the 5 speed is only rated at 200Ft/lbs of torque... so any big upgrades and you will probably break alot of other parts.
2005 Nissan Titan - Hauler

"The Jeep is Americas only real sports car!" - Enzo Ferrari
General_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.