JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Compass & Patriot Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/)
-   -   Parts connection? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/parts-connection-568921/)

patriotowner 06-10-2008 05:46 AM

Parts connection?

Does anyone have a link to the Jeep parts manufacturer? I am not looking for aftermarket assessories, there are plenty of links for that. I need the link that the Jeep dealers use to get parts for repair, if there is one.

I have been dealing with my local dealer and they can't seem to fix a door lock problem. been there four times already. each time they say they have the parts so bring it on in. I go and drop off the car, they keep it all day and at the end they call and say they couldn't fix it becuase they didn't have the right parts. (I have already argued with the store owner over this). :brickwall

Finally got them to tell me what the part is. Now I will just get it myself and fix it myself. Had enough of the incompetance.

Any help would be appreciated.

Gramps 06-10-2008 06:38 AM

Maybe Jeepster55 can lend a hand on this one.

Jeepster55 06-10-2008 05:42 PM

thanks GRAMPS.....i owe ya one!

first, there is no 'single Jeep parts manufacturer'. parts for Jeep are like any other manufacturer in that they are made by hundreds of different vendors.

all 'factory parts' at your Jeep dealer come from one of Chrysler's PDCs, or Parts Distribution Centers. these huge warehouses (some have dimensions of not in feet, but MILES!!!) are located all across the country and ONLY supply Mopar (Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge) DEALERS with parts. they do not sell to individuals or other vendors, corporations, etc.

so, if you want Genuine Mopar Parts, see your Mopar Dealer........:D

if you like, PM me with the part number and your VIN and i'll research it for you and get back to you tomorrow.....:)

P.S. if this is a 'warranty repair', your dealer will have to supply the part, that is unless YOU want to pay for it!

patriotowner 06-11-2008 02:40 PM

Thanks jeepster,

It is in fact 'supposed' to be a warranty repair but after four attempts to get them to do it, I am frustrated. Being somewhat a handy man, I figured just to do it myself and dump the frustration.

I will call the Jeep dealer to get the part number, if they will give to me.

merlinTec 06-11-2008 02:59 PM

Hi
What is the part they think the fault is? And what is the fault you have?
Regards,
Merlin

Jeepster55 06-11-2008 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patriotowner (Post 5326486)
Thanks jeepster,

It is in fact 'supposed' to be a warranty repair but after four attempts to get them to do it, I am frustrated. Being somewhat a handy man, I figured just to do it myself and dump the frustration.

I will call the Jeep dealer to get the part number, if they will give to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by merlinTec (Post 5326559)
Hi
What is the part they think the fault is? And what is the fault you have?
Regards,
Merlin

there ya go......get with "merlin" and see what he says. when you've decided if you do need a part, let me know and i'll do what i can to help you out....:)

patriotowner 06-17-2008 05:35 AM

I called last week and was told that one of the parts was in, not the other. They need a latch and a clip for the left rear passenger door lock. The clip is in. That is all they would give me for information. The lady couldn't find the parts guy to give me a part number. Will try again this week.

patriotowner 06-26-2008 12:11 PM

Update!

Went by the Jeep dealer yesterday to talk face to face on my problem, hoping to at least get the name and part number(s) for what I need. Was directed to the parts manager where he detailed their problem with getting the right part. He showed me the diagram for the door and pointed to the part he needed. It is a flat "L" shaped bracket that supports the locking mechanism. There was no identifying part number which he could reference and therefore, couldn't order it. The mechanics there even took apart a new Patriot to look at the part, again, there was no idenitifying part number on it. They have now called Chrysler HQ on the problem and are waiting for a call back.

Meanwhile, the head mech at the local shop said he could 'manufacture' the part I need and get the door fixed for now until the part problem is resolved.

Need to do it soon because the daughter is driving the heck out of the patriot and before I realize it, the car will be out of warranty.:rtft:

Jeepster55 07-05-2008 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patriotowner (Post 5383491)
They have now called Chrysler HQ on the problem and are waiting for a call back.

the problem is your dealer may not know how to contact Chrysler properly about this issue. first, your dealer should contact Mopar Specifying through DealerConnect. no need to call the Specifying Dept and if they did, you can bet that Chrysler very rarely ever calls anyone back. now a days, all "Specifying Calls" go through INDIA and if they can't answer your question (or you can't understand them.....?) you get passed on to someone else, which means you could be 'on hold' for as long as 45-60 minutes. therefore it's really best that your dealers Parts Manager contact a 'parts specifier' through DealerConnect. they will have an answer the same day.

just a guess, but sounds like the part you need is part of the interior door trim panel. i understand that on the "MK"s that many assemblies, such as the latch, window regulator, etc, attach to the trim panel rather than the door shell. just a guess......

patriotowner 07-14-2008 02:05 PM

Well, finally got it fixed. But I had to go back TWICE on the same day to get it right. The mech apparently made a part for it. When I went to get it, I tried to open the door and (surprise, suprise) it wouldn't open. I walked back in the service dept to tell them and they thought I was kidding. Another mech had to climb in the opposite door to gain access. Once inside he realized he "didn't attach a linkage" and apologized.:brickwall

So off I go, I get a mile down the road and thought to myself - wait, why didn't I operate the door through all of its lock/unlock possibilities before I left. Might be something else is wrong. Sure enough the manual lock button/post isn't connected, it moves up and down freely. DANG! :brickwall:brickwall So I go back and let them in the door again. Finally after an additional 30 minutes, they get it all fixed. :pickle: This time I test it all and it is working. I just hope they did it right and it stays fixed.

friends are telling me to write the Chrysler Corp and tell them my story. Maybe it will help someone in the future.

Gramps 07-14-2008 04:46 PM

I know that it was frustrating for you :mad:. I only hope that SOME DAY you can look back and laugh. :brickwall

Jeepster55 07-15-2008 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patriotowner (Post 5449908)
friends are telling me to write the Chrysler Corp and tell them my story. Maybe it will help someone in the future.

you won't have to write CHRYSLER. more than likely you'll get a survey from THEM and you can 'rate' your service experience with that dealer.

note: if it's the dealer you bought your Jeep from, then fine. BUT if you took it to another dealer than where you purchased it, NOTE IT ON THE SURVEY! sometimes the selling dealer gets 'ripped' by Chrysler for a repair that was done at another dealer.

make sure you mention the dealers name if it's different from your selling dealer.

of course, if you don't receive a survey, then by all means CALL, EMAIL AND WRITE CHRYSLER! :mad:

The time now is 09:43 AM.