Parking the Compass for a few months.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Parking the Compass for a few months....

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 06-08-2009, 03:58 PM   #1
plunderisley

Parking the Compass for a few months....

I'll be out of the country and will have the Compass parked in the garage for about 2 months. Is there anything I should do beforehand? I have a security system GPS/GPRS system installed on it (3rd party) and I know that eats a bit of the battery. Should I just take out the battery? Or should I go with one of electric chargers?

plunderisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2009, 04:21 PM   #2
eze07mayhem
2007 MK Compass 

Is the jeep gonna be home alone for two months or is there gonna be someone else at the house while your gone??

If so I would just have them start the jeep and let it run for a few min like once a week or something like that..
eze07mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2009, 04:55 PM   #3
plunderisley

No one will be able to start the car at that time.
It'll be all alone in the garage..
Unread 06-13-2009, 03:45 PM   #4
plunderisley

Any recommendations?
Unread 06-14-2009, 06:24 AM   #5
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

If you have a known drain on the battery because of the GPS then you could disconnect that system. If that's too inconvenient then either disconnecting the battery or a trickle charger would work. A trickle charger would make sure that you don't lose any programming.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2009, 08:07 AM   #6
Knightfallzx2
2008 MK Compass 

I used to park my old car every winter, and it would sit for 6 or 7 months. With that, I would disconnect the battery, and put fuel stabilizer into the gas tank. Also parked it with a full tank to avoid moister from selling in the tank. And so I wouldn't get flat spots on my tires, I'd also be sure to put some old rims and tires on there, and let it sit on those (ones I didn't care about).

Come Spring, I'd do the reverse, and also pull the plugs and drop a small bit of oil down each cylinder to help prevent scratching since all the oil in the engine would have settled down into the pan.

Did this for years, and my brothers done it from day one with his '87 Mustang (bought it new, and still has original motor - like new.)

Now, I know yours is only for two months, but you get the idea of what can be done.
Read my Blog on Jeepspace
Knightfallzx2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.