JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Compass & Patriot Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/)
-   -   P2100 code - Electronic Throttle Control and ESP Lights (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/p2100-code-electronic-throttle-control-esp-lights-846522/)

ninjaneer83 08-28-2009 11:01 AM

P2100 code - Electronic Throttle Control and ESP Lights

Hi all, I'm new to the boards. Recently bought a 2009 Jeep Compass and ran into a recurring problem. I've searched many threads and seen a few similar issues, but these threads date back a year or two, so I'm not positive the solutions will be the same. I'm going to write a fairly lengthy and detailed account of what I have experienced. Any advice is appreciated.

The problem I am encountering is the Electronic Throttle Control warning light coming on (lightning bolt, red) followed by the ESP light (Vehicle with squiggly trail). My speed becomes limited to 50mph and I am unable to accelerate.

The first time this happened, I was traveling about 70mph on the freeway. ETC comes on (with a chime) and ESP follows, speed reduced to 50mph and unable to accelerate. I pull off on the shoulder and put on my hazard signals. The Compass idled quite rough, there was a major amount of vibration, I felt this through the steering wheel. I noticed this rough idle because I didn't know that shutting off the ignition and turning it back on temporarily remedied the situation.

The second time it happened, roughly 65mph on the freeway, but this time I pulled off of the freeway and stopped at the first red light. I immediately shut off the engine and turned it back on and got back on my way.

The third and fourth time happened on the same morning, roughly 5 minutes apart. The same characteristics applied, except this time, they were in the middle of lowspeed lefthand turns. Luckily, I was not turning into traffic. One was from a light and one was from a dedicated left turn lane with little traffic behind me. Instead of completely stopping traffic behind me, I put the Compass in neutral and turned the car off and back on. Once the car came back on, the lights went away and I shifted back into drive and went on my way.

This was when I decided to bring my Compass to the dealer for repairs. Mileage going into service was 870.

DTC Code found P2100, found loose connector at the throttle body. Repairs implemented: Removed and inspected connector, reconnected connector and PCM flashed from 68031779AD to AF. Mileage leaving dealer 884.

The morning after I got my compass back, I got the same problem again. This was at the same light/left turn as the 3rd instance prior to repair (roughly 5 turns into my morning commute to work, first turn going onto a major road). I decided not to stop in the middle of other commuters and went to neutral and cycled the engine while I was rolling at lowspeed.

The morning after, I got the same problem again (same light/left turn too) and returned it to the service department that afternoon. It's still there as I'm writing this and was turned in with about 910 miles on it.

I have considered the possibility of a cold engine, however, I live in Houston, TX and it's still very much summer here. And the second morning, I left the car idling about 4-5 minutes as I took out the trash. I do this out of habit on mornings when the trash needs to be taken out, not because I anticipated another ETC episode (especially at the same light). The turn this occurs at is roughly half a mile from my home and I typically sit at a light in an intersection prior to this turn a good 3-7 minutes depending on traffic and its usually enough time to get the temperature gauge to median.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue or have any ideas as to why its occurring? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

schoat333 08-28-2009 11:42 AM

910 miles?

Definately take it to the dealer, and call chrysler yourself to report the problem just to give them more of an incentive to fix it.

It soulds like possibly a broken wire. The dealer should be able to test for that.

jankerson 04-21-2010 11:30 AM

same problem

i've been fighting with this since the begining... its happened about 3-4 times over the life of my jeep... they just kept reflashing the computer... a friend of mine said it was the break fulid getting to hot causing it to thin and throw an error... but i can't confirm that... however it hasnt happened for probably thelast 40k, i'm at 68k right now, and it's a 2007 FDII sport model... it happened when i drove to san francisco, ~400 miles after i decellerated(sp?) then the lights came on... it also happened after about a 150 mile drive, but that time it happened at night, but i had driven a bunch... and the last time was when i returned from Las Vegas ~300 miles... it always happened after i decellerated after a long trip... but since then i've been to san francisco and vegas again, and no warning lights.. so maybe it just "rides it off"? or maybe the last flash helped!? i dont know... but i can't imagine that this problem is isolated to just my jeep....

i love my jeep by the way, great little car shaped like a cool looking jeep... owned an '89 cherokee for years, its not anythign like that... but it gets the job done.. and my heater works!!

Gramps 04-21-2010 02:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
For those still under warranty the dealer should be taking care of this. For those who need or want to do their own here's what to look for:

P2100-ELECTRONIC THROTTLE CONTROL MOTOR CIRCUIT

When the PCM detects an internal error or short between the ETC Motor (-) and ETC Motor (+) circuits in the ETC Motor Driver. One trip fault. ETC light is flashing.

Possible Causes

INTERMITTENT DTC

LOW BATTERY VOLTAGE

(K124) ETC MOTOR (+) CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE

(K126) ETC MOTOR (-) CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE

(K124) ETC MOTOR (+) CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND

(K126) ETC MOTOR (-) CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND

(K124) ETC MOTOR (+) CIRCUIT SHORTED TO THE (K126) ETC MOTOR (-) CIRCUIT

(K124) ETC MOTOR (+) CIRCUIT OPEN OR HIGH RESISTANCE

(K126) ETC MOTOR (-) CIRCUIT OPEN OR HIGH RESISTANCE

ETC MOTOR/THROTTLE BODY

POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)

1 Attachment(s)
Diagnostic Test

1. DTC IS ACTIVE

NOTE: If this DTC sets intermittently, it is possible that the controller is overheating in extremely hot temperatures. This is considered a normal protection operation. No repair is necessary.

NOTE: Low battery voltage can cause excessive current draw in very hot and cold ambient temperatures. Make sure the battery can pass a load test before continuing. Review Freeze Frame information to determine the ambient temperature when the DTC set.

Start the engine and allow it to reach normal operating temperature.

WARNING: When the engine is operating, do not stand in direct line with the fan. Do not put your hands near the pulleys, belts, or fan. Do not wear loose clothing. Failure to follow these instructions can result in personal injury or death.

With the scan tool, select View DTCs.

Is the status Active for this DTC?

Yes

Go to 2

No

2. THROTTLE PLATE INSPECTION

Turn the ignition off.
Remove the air cleaner assembly.
Check for any signs of a foreign material (ice or dirt) on the throttle plate or in the throttle bore that can cause the throttle plate to stick.

Were any problems found?

Yes

Remove the debris if possible or replace the Throttle Body Assembly. Disconnect the Battery when replacing the Throttle Body Assembly. After installation is complete, use a scan tool and select the ETC RELEARN function.
Perform the PCM Verification Test Ver. 1 (requires StarScan tool).

No

Go to 3

3. (K124) ETC MOTOR (+) CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE

Turn the ignition off.
Disconnect the Throttle Body harness connector.
Disconnect the PCM harness connectors.
Turn the ignition on.
Measure the voltage of the (K124) ETC Motor (+) circuit.

Is there any voltage present?

Yes
  • Repair the (K124) ETC Motor (+) circuit for a short to voltage.
  • Perform the PCM Verification Test Ver. 1
No
  • Go to 4

1 Attachment(s)
4. (K126) ETC MOTOR (-) CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE

Measure the voltage of the (K126) ETC Motor (-) circuit.

Is there any voltage present?

Yes

Repair the (K126) ETC Motor (-) circuit for a short to voltage.
Perform the PCM Verification Test Ver. 1

No

Go to 5

1 Attachment(s)
5. (K124) ETC MOTOR (+) CIRCUIT SHORTED TO THE (K126) ETC MOTOR (-) CIRCUIT

Turn the ignition off.
Measure the resistance between the (K124) ETC Motor (+) circuit and the (K126) ETC Motor (-) circuit.

Is the resistance below 100 ohms?

Yes

Repair the short to between the (K124) ETC Motor (+) circuit and the (K126) ETC Motor (-) circuit.
Perform the PCM Verification Test Ver.

No

Go to 6

Gramps 04-21-2010 02:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
6. (K124) ETC MOTOR (+) CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND

Measure the resistance between ground and the (K124) ETC Motor (+) circuit.

Yes

Repair the short to ground in the (K124) ETC Motor (+) circuit.

No

Go to 7

1 Attachment(s)
7. (K126) ETC MOTOR (-) CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND

Measure the resistance between ground and the (K126) ETC Motor (-) circuit.

Yes

Repair the short to ground in the (K126) ETC Motor (-) circuit.
Perform the PCM Verification Test Ver. 1 (Refer to 9 - ENGINE - STANDARD PROCEDURE).

No

Go to 8

1 Attachment(s)
8. (K126) ETC MOTOR (-) CIRCUIT OPEN OR HIGH RESISTANCE

Measure the resistance of the (K126) ETC Motor (-) circuit.

Is the resistance below 5.0 ohms?

Yes

Go to 9

No

Repair the (K126) ETC Motor (-) circuit for an open circuit or high resistance.

1 Attachment(s)
9. (K124) ETC MOTOR (+) CIRCUIT OPEN OR HIGH RESISTANCE

Measure the resistance of the (K124) ETC Motor (+) circuit.

Is the resistance below 5.0 ohms?

Yes

Go to 10

No

Repair the (K124) ETC Motor (+) circuit for an open circuit or high resistance.

10. ETC MOTOR

Reconnect the Throttle Body harness connector.

NOTE: Measure the resistance at the PCM harness connector to avoid damaging throttle body connector terminals.

Measure the resistance between the (K124) ETC Motor (+) circuit and the (K126) ETC Motor (-) circuit.

Is the resistance between 2.5 and 25 ohms at closed throttle?

Yes

Go to 11

No

Replace the Throttle Body Assembly. Disconnect the Battery when replacing the Throttle Body Assembly. After installation is complete, use a scan tool and perform the ETC RELEARN function.
Perform the PCM Verification Test Ver. 1 (Refer to 9 - ENGINE - STANDARD PROCEDURE).

11. POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)

Using the wiring diagram/schematic as a guide, inspect the wiring and connectors between the Throttle Body and the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).
Look for any chafed, pierced, pinched, or partially broken wires.
Look for broken, bent, pushed out or corroded terminals.
Refer to any Technical Service Bulletins that may apply.

Were any problems found?

Yes

Repair as necessary.

No

Replace and program the Powertrain Control Module per Service Information.

sasssam 04-20-2013 04:24 AM

ninjaneer83............did you ever get your problem solved? I am having the same problem. Two times to the dealer.

I'm having the same problem with my 2009. The first tow to the dealer they replaced the throttle pedal. I got all the way home, 40 miles, and all three lights were back on and I'm in limp mode. ETC/ESP and Check Engine light. Towed it back to the dealer yesterday.
The second repair they replaced a Cam Sensor. Drove it two days and it's sitting in my driveway, the same three light are on again and it's in limp mode. They want me to bring it back..........but here comes another tow expense and $100 deductible on my aftermarket warranty. I told the service adviser that throwing parts on the thing isn't going to fix it.

Update: 4/30/2013

I finally got fed up and bought a scan tool. I checked for codes and found eight stored. I cleared all of the codes so I could drive the Jeep. Then I got a bug and ripped the left side kick panel off and checked the wiring there and along the floor board.......everything looked good. Could not find a connector, so for 2009 Chrysler must have eliminated it. Then I started looking around the left inner fender well from under the hood. I found two wiring looms rubbing on the metal portion of the inner fender. I protected it using large flexible tubing and tie straps. Then I pulled the inner fender down. There i found two more places where wiring was rubbing metal and protected them as well. To date, I have not had any problems. I have put on many miles after the repair. If I happen to see this problem again, I'll update this post.

Jeepsux 06-22-2013 07:07 PM

ESP stall solution

Just thought I would come back here and let everyone know the solution I found that Jeep could not find for their recalls and the lemons that don't qualify for the recalls.

My mechanic took the throtle body apart and put a rag in it and cleaned it!

That's it! That solved the problem! No more driving down the freeway and stalling while I have my kids in the car and a semi riding my *** with no where to shoulder!

The fact that two dealers and jeep corporate couldn't figure this out is a testament to their excellent customer service.:thumbdown:

FujativeOCR 06-22-2013 08:52 PM

The very same symptom and solution for a faulty Volvo Electronic Throttle Body.

Visit VexedVolvo.org for similar stories.

The time now is 11:15 AM.