P2004 Engine Code @ 35,400 miles... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > P2004 Engine Code @ 35,400 miles...

JK Vent Covers - NalinMFGRCV Axles at CCORPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 09-11-2008, 01:33 PM   #1
Zappy
2007 MK Compass 

P2004 Engine Code @ 35,400 miles...

Well, I was leaving work today and turned the key in the ignition and a few seconds after the Compass started up, I heard a chime. Strange, I thought as I knew my seat belt was securely fastened. So I glanced down at the dash and noticed the dreaded check engine light on. I didn't have much choice based on where I work, so I drove the 30 miles home constantly shifting my eyes between the road and the dash looking for any other warning lights.

On the way home, I stopped at the local Auto Zone and asked them if they could check the code for me. The found that it was throwing a P2004, but their system didnt have what that code would amount to in a Jeep. So I headed home and searched the web for it and this is what I have been able to find so far:

Some 2007 Jeep Compass and Patriot models with 2.0 and 2.4L four-cylinder engines may illuminate the MIL and log DTC P2004 (intake manifold runner control stuck open) in computer memory. If working through the trouble tree for the intake code doesn't get you anywhere, you've got to replace the intake manifold with an upgraded design and reprogram the PCM with revised software. The new-design intake manifold goes by Part No. 04884495AF. To do the flash, you'll need a StarSCAN scanner operating at software level 7.04 SPl or higher. The calibration files themselves are available for download via Chrysler's Internet site.

You should be aware that vehicles equipped with CVT transmissions must have the TCM checked for the latest software level whenever the PCM is reprogrammed. If newer software is available, it must be installed.

That certainly sounds like something I want the dealer to check out, so I called and they can't get me in until Tuesday. Of course, we were supposed to be going away Monday and Tuesday, but that may not happen now.

Has anyone else experienced this engine code and if so, what did the repair involve? Can any of the wonderful Jeep mechanics that float around here give an idea as to what may be really going on?

Thanks in advance.

Zappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2008, 05:03 PM   #2
merlinTec

Hi
Better to read the TSB for yourself so you get a better understanding, also the times are at the bottom so not that harder job. http://www.wkjeeps.com/misc/Caliber/...er_1803207.pdf
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 09-11-2008, 05:19 PM   #3
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

This sounds like the same problem that I had with mine at about 12K miles. The dealer wanted to do this same fix but I was assured that I could drive it like it was with no problems. By the time that the parts came in and I had run threw a tank of gas, it went off and now at 36K I've had no recurrence. One of the "intermittent" ones, I guess.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2008, 05:06 AM   #4
Zappy
2007 MK Compass 

That was weird. When I got the initial warning light, it was about 170 miles into a tank of gas and it remained on through a few engine off / on cycles for local running during the evening. This morning driving into work it was still on. I stopped to fill the gas tank as I was down to about 1/3 of a tank. After I filled the tank and started it back up, the light was off now. I'll be interested to see if it remains off now or becomes an intermittent thing. I think I'm going to keep the appointment with the dealer next Tuesday just to have it gone over anyway and see if they find anything.
Unread 09-12-2008, 03:57 PM   #5
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

It was the same on mine. With only 12K on mine I didn't want the dealership tearing into the engine for what may be a fluke. I was told at the time that it "could" be the Throttle Position Sensor and it's bracket but since it ran fine and there were no other signs of problems I let it ride. The wife's GC had the MIL light come on and the codes showed a small vacuum leak. I couldn't find any leaks, changed the gas cap and several days and a fill up later, it cleared and hasn't come back. I wouldn't rush into doing too much at this point.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2008, 07:53 PM   #6
Zappy
2007 MK Compass 

Unfortunately Gramps, the reprieve with the light was short lived and it was back on when the Compass was started up this morning. Starting to think mine isn't quite so intermittent with the warning light.
Unread 09-18-2008, 07:45 AM   #7
Zappy
2007 MK Compass 

Well the dealer ran his own set of scans and is ordering in a new flow control valve actuator that they'll replace next week when it gets in. Since my initial post, I've had the check engine light cycle through on/off 5 times with no rhyme or reason as to why it suddenly comes on or goes off. Since they'll have the Jeep for the day, I'm going to have them give it a really good once over mechanically, rotate the tires and get it aligned as well.
Unread 10-08-2008, 05:35 AM   #8
Zappy
2007 MK Compass 

Just as an update to this. Had the valve replaced at the dealer yesterday, along with getting the tires rotated, brakes examined and asked to have them check for an occasional shudder I would notice after the Compass was driven a while and when I would start out from a dead stop.

With the valve replaced, so far I've noticed a much smoother response when applying the gas then previously. In the 45 miles driven since then (from the dealers to home and then to work this morning) the average mileage has also bumped up by roughly .5mpg so far. The next time I fill the tank, I'm going to reset the EVIC setting and see what I start averaging. I was in the 21.8 - 22.5 range for a few months now. It will be interesting to see if this valve replacement takes care of that general drop in mileage that I described in another thread.

Gramps, I know you were reporting both a slight drop in your mileage and the intermittent engine light a while back on your Compass too. My light had been off for about 3 weeks before heading into the dealers yesterday, but there was still a noticeable difference in the feel of the engine afterwards. I'll let you know how the next few tanks of gas seem to average out my mileage at.

The shuddering sound I referenced concerned me because I thought I might have been experiencing problems at the lowest gear ratio of the transmission, since that was the only time I noticed it, would have been starting from a complete stop, or when rolling very slowly without applying the gas. The dealer ended up replacing one bushing sway eliminator and verified the noise from the rear as well and loosened, lubed and then re torqued all rear lateral arms and links. Now it handles better then it did when I picked it up back in March. Feels very tight and responsive now.

Overall, not a bad $20.09 spent.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.