OT Jeep Patriot - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > OT Jeep Patriot

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-12-2007, 07:24 PM   #1
optdoug
1995 XJ Cherokee 

OT Jeep Patriot

I have seen this Jeep on the web, but have not been down to the local dealer to check it out yet. I hear that it is the reaplcement (kinda sorta) for the XJ. I still love my old XJ's, but it would be nice to get something new. And this seems like it might be the answer since I like the XJ styling a lot. I can't see myself buying a Grand Cherokee.
Anyway, my question is, does anyone have one or have they driven one? I would like to get a little feedback since everyone here seems to be a little more knowledgeable about they way Jeeps perform. I have read a few reviews on Edmunds, but I think the reviewers there are more into driving an SUV on the street and not offroad.

optdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2007, 07:32 PM   #2
JeepXJsport12
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by optdoug
I have seen this Jeep on the web, but have not been down to the local dealer to check it out yet. I hear that it is the reaplcement (kinda sorta) for the XJ. I still love my old XJ's, but it would be nice to get something new. And this seems like it might be the answer since I like the XJ styling a lot. I can't see myself buying a Grand Cherokee.
Anyway, my question is, does anyone have one or have they driven one? I would like to get a little feedback since everyone here seems to be a little more knowledgeable about they way Jeeps perform. I have read a few reviews on Edmunds, but I think the reviewers there are more into driving an SUV on the street and not offroad.
wasen't the Liberty the XJ's replacement?

then people will know what you drive.[/QUOTE] [URL="http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2630344"][COLOR="Navy"]Blue Jeep Club #234[/COLOR][/URL]
[COLOR="Navy"][SIZE="4"][[/SIZE][SIZE="2"][][/COLOR][COLOR="Silver"]|||||||[/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR="Navy"][][SIZE="4"]][/SIZE][/COLOR] Got That Custom Chrome Grill SANN
JeepXJsport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2007, 07:40 PM   #3
optdoug
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepXJsport12
wasen't the Liberty the XJ's replacement?
I am not really sure, but the Patriot sure looks a lot like the XJ. Even the interior size looks about the same. I never did like the Liberty because there is not much room in the back and they look kinda feminine if you ask me LOL.
I haul a lot of stuff around at times and I need at least as much room as I have in my XJ's.
Unread 05-12-2007, 07:42 PM   #4
dopod
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I don't think either of them have solid front axles like the xj so off road wise...
dopod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2007, 08:51 PM   #5
Agent 000
Secret Agent Man

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Lots of differences from an XJ. For starters, it's a FWD vehicle, with optional Freedom Drive I, or Freedom Drive II (not a Transfer Case, is more like a locking differential). Mechanically, is the exact same as the Jeep Compass, but with different sheetmetal. 2.4L DOHC Engine is statndard on the 4x4 models.

Freedom Drive I acts like an AWD vehicle, 62% Front, 38% Rear, but, it has the ability to lock the differential for true 50/50 4WD at low speeds.

Freedom Drive II acts the same as Freedom Drive I, but it has an Off Road Mode, which when engaged, offers an 18:1 crawl ratio when the Downhill Braking is engaged.

For a truer replacement for the XJ, the engineers have listened...the new 2008 Liberty will be out soon. Looks a lot like the XJ, has ton's more interior room than the current Liberty, but will stil have an IFS Front Axle (sorry guys).

Chili Pepper Red 1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic
Agent 000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2007, 08:53 PM   #6
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

During the recent Jeepforum/DC chat event, DC engineers said the JK 4 door is the closest we'll see to the XJ.

Edit: The new liberty is the exact same platform of the Dodge Nitro, and sad to say the Nitro got absolutely terrible reviews

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2007, 09:10 PM   #7
Dannyboy18

The JK 4-door is DEFINITELY close to the XJ as far as looks and capability. If I was to buy a new Jeep, that'd definitely be what I'd get.

Throw a 4" or so lift on it with 33+" tires and they really look badass. Just like an XJ, a lift on the JK TRANSFORMS the entire look into a seemingly different looking vehicle...

STOCK JK:

LIFTED JK (Bamoman's ride)
AR Baja Alloy Wheels - 15x8 + Bridgestone Dueler Revo A/Ts - 31x10.50x15
TeraFlex Adj. Trackbar + TeraFlex Quick Disconnects & WARN T-case skid
Dannyboy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2007, 09:16 PM   #8
Do It xj
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Still not the same
Do It xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2007, 09:29 PM   #9
optdoug
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyboy18
The JK 4-door is DEFINITELY close to the XJ as far as looks and capability. If I was to buy a new Jeep, that'd definitely be what I'd get.

Throw a 4" or so lift on it with 33+" tires and they really look badass. Just like an XJ, a lift on the JK TRANSFORMS the entire look into a seemingly different looking vehicle...

STOCK JK:

LIFTED JK (Bamoman's ride)
As far as looks and capability go, I think you are right. The JK 4-door looks a lot like the Jeep rescue concept car too (minus the hard top). I wonder if Jeep has any plans of putting the Rescue into production. That Jeep would be the best of all Jeepers dreams. Take a look at the link.
http://jeepin.com/news/rescue/index.asp

As far as the Patriot is concerned, I don't think that it is the replacement for the XJ capability wise. But I heard that jeep put it into production to fill the void that the XJ left behind. It is very similar in size and looks, but I don't think it would perform near as well as the old XJ. Also, the Patriot only has a 2.4L four cylinder engine and I just found out that it only has a 1000 lb. towing capability. Whats up with that? I use my XJ's a lot for towing and hauling stuff. I am starting to doubt if the Patriot can do much for me. I do however like the look of it and maybe in the future they will put the old 4.0 IL 6 in it. I still think that engine is bullet proof.
Unread 05-12-2007, 11:36 PM   #10
urban-yan
Web Wheeler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

The patriot is similar in size to the XJ, but it lacks.. hmm.. what's the word.. BALLS!!
I have to agree that the best current replacement for our XJs is the 4 door Wrangler.
Don't get me wrong; there's nothing wrong with the Patriot as a daily driver. oh and
here's a Cherokee/Patriot side profile comparison

urban-yan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2007, 11:47 PM   #11
hooper62

The Patriot isn't meant for offroad so DONT get it for that. I work at a Jeep dealership and the Liberty did "replace" the xj but most people dont like them so they came out with these. But again they are not made for offroading unless you get a trail rated one, but even then i wouldnt do it.

I like the new 4 door wranglers, but them(as well as the 2 door ones) only have the 3.8l v6 out of the vans that they converted to rwd. They are pretty gutless.
hooper62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2007, 11:53 PM   #12
urban-yan
Web Wheeler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

you can always supercharge the 3.8, and I hear Chrysler is under pressure to create a new V6 family (I think the codename is Phoenix, but don't quote me)... which could make its way down to the Wrangler. Mind you, I would love to see Wranglers available with the upgraded 4.7L V8 (which now makes 291hp/ 322 lb-ft of torque, and is flex fuel enabled).

urban-yan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2007, 06:35 AM   #13
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

It looks like this thread was moved from another Forum because it’s a better question for the MK fans to answer honestly.

The Liberty is the replacement for the XJ and the export version is still called the Cherokee. My daughter has a Liberty and gets about 18/19 mpg over the same road that I get 25/26 mpg. The Liberty also has a higher towing capacity than the MK’s 2000 lb rating when properly equipped with the Trailer Tow package that consists of an Engine Oil Cooler and wiring harness. The Liberty also has more GC and more conventional 4WD mechanics. The Patriot just looks like the old Cherrokee.

The MK’s are the newer technology that because of their AWD with 4WD lock they have better road manners and with the 2.4 deliver improved gas mileage. However, this newer technology means that you won’t be able to swap bits and pieces from other Jeep models.

How capable is it off-road? To see my favorite Patriot FD II off-road articles, go here:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/patriot-limited-fd-ii-test-drive-402333/

Everybody has a different conception of what off-roading means, whether it’s just going camping or traveling the back roads to hitting the tougher Rubicon type trails. For the milder stuff even the FWD version could handle some things because of the traction controls and the 8” of ground clearance and you could be getting up around 30mpg as a DD. For the little bit harder trails you would want to go with the Freedom Drive I package that gives you AWD with a 4WD lock and around 25 – 28 mpg most of the time. Both of these versions are available with a 5spd that has a 15.53:1 low or the CVT2 with a 14.37:1. Moving up the ladder to the Trail Rated Patriot will give you the most off-road capabilities. This package comes only with the CVT2L and a 19:1 low range and since the other EPA ratings are coming out a little low (generally speaking) you could get better than the 21/23 that they are rated at.

If you intend to modify any one of these for more capable off-roading you’ll just have to wait, there still isn’t much available right now.

For my daily commute and winter driving conditions my FD I Compass does everything that I want it to do. If my situation was different and I lived in a area where I could get out more often to go wheeling I would certainly look at the Patriot FD II.

Madrabbit has driven both a XJ and a Patriot FD II and hopefully will give us a comparison between the two.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2007, 03:39 AM   #14
madrabbitt

i havent had that much seat time. i need to convince them to let me take it out for at least an hour... i'll call the sales manager sometime this week.

Since i know i'm ordering mine from that particular lot in august, and my company's credit report should be in chrysler's system, i might be able to squeeze a long (alone) test drive out of them on their stock #3 (same one i drove around the block, its the third one they had delivered... been sitting for almost 2 months while other ones are sold around it) since its nearly identically equipped to what i want.

I need freeway and mountain road time in it. So lets see what i can get out of them.
Pics, of course, will be included.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2007, 03:01 PM   #15
Rictus58

Quote:
Originally Posted by optdoug
I own a Patriot. I ordered it in February and it was delivered in March. So far it has about 2400 miles on it. I am averaging about 28mpg mostly highway driving.
I didn't get a FDII option because I don't plan on taking it off road. The off-road reviews by expeditions west I've read have been pretty complimentary. They said it doesn't really miss a beat off-road. It's not a wrangler, but it's not supposed to be. So far as I know there are no lift-kits available for the Patriot yet either. I think the max lift could be 2.5" because of the suspension.

The engine seems to lack power, but that's a fair trade off for the excellent gas mileage. It's got a lot of safety features.
It's pretty close to being a Cherokee on the inside. The 2 drawbacks to the interior are the cupholders in the backseat area (they sit on the floor in the middle of the jeep) and the Cargo shelf is high because the spare is under the floor. Other than that, I love the Patriot.
Rictus58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.