Optional tires/wheels for MK's (pg 6 for sizes) - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Optional tires/wheels for MK's (pg 6 for sizes)

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 01-26-2008, 09:58 AM   #121
Jeepster55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07compasssport
i had the firestone affinitys 215/60/17 when the yokohmas arrived i was shocked at how "BIG" they looked. they are a 29" tire the firestones are a
27" tire so to me there was a big difference. for me it was well worth the money.

i guess i should have been more specific....i have the P215/65R17 Goodyear Wrangler SR-A All Terrains and to me, they don't look any smaller than your 235's.

my "65's" are a bit taller than your "60's" were (28.0 vs 27.2"), but i see that the Yokohamas would be about an inch taller than MY OEM Goodyears. being a 'guy'....I WANT MORE!!!!

Jeepster55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2008, 10:08 AM   #122
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Bigger isn't always better. You'll lose some bottom end and mpg.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2008, 01:50 PM   #123
Coasty161
2008 JK Wrangler 

since the wife is the primary driver she hasnt noticed a loss of acceleration or anyother factor caused by the 29"tires. when i drive it i have always driven aggresive so havnt noticed a change either. mpgs have stayed about the same.
Coasty161 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2008, 07:42 AM   #124
Jeepster55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
Bigger isn't always better.

yea, RIGHT!

try telling that to my WIFE!
Jeepster55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2008, 04:17 PM   #125
cuemark8
2007 MK Compass 

Need new tires

Ok I put this off long as possible. I need new tires the stock size of 215/55/18 for my Compass lImited doesn't have many choices for replacements. More importantly yet, no replacements that I want.
I'm looking at the new Michelin Primacy MXV4 grand touring tire for a smooth ride and quiet ride. The noise of the stock Firestones is getting unbearable. I can't get that particular Michelin tire in a 215/55/18. I can however get either a 225/55/18 of a 225/60/18. I would like to install a bigger tire to fill the fender wells a bit more. Using the stock rim will have any issues with the bigger size tires? The spec of the 225/60/18 tire is 28.8" dia. The 225/60/18 tire is about $20 cheaper than the 55 series tire and the 55 series tire is on backorder from Michelin nationwide because all are contracted to an automaker right now. The 225/60/18 is what I'm shooting for.
cuemark8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2008, 07:02 PM   #126
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

That's a nice tire! One that I considered. The 225/60-18 will fit just fine but you may drop a little in mpg but then since your mostly all freeway it may increase. It's hard to tell, I've seen no other reports on taller tires with primarily freeway miles. Where most of us lose the mileage for going taller is off the line in town and on back roads with constant turns and turn off and getting back up to speed. The 5 speed will help you off the line.

Maybe a typo but that tire according to the Tire Rack is 28.6 and it is a top rated tire.

Unread 06-25-2008, 12:29 PM   #127
cuemark8
2007 MK Compass 

Bigger tires

Has anyone had any mechanical issues or ignition/emission issues going to larger tires wheels? I made my mind up to go with the Michelin primacy MXV4 tire on my Compass limited as stated before in previous threads stock tire is 215/55/18 I want to go with a 225/55/18 or 225/60/18 tire, they are my only choices for that tire. I agree with the information here that that either one of those tire should fit without any issues.
I called the tire rack asked some questions and told them my vehicle and what size tires I wanted and they refused to sell them! They said that both sizes are not within the parameters of the computer and that will effect shift points, ignition control, as well as federal emission controls of the vehicle. Voiding any warranties.
I find it hard to believe that that the 225/55/18 tire will not work. It's specs at a 27.8" O.D. the 215/65/17 Goodyaer Wrangler RSA which is a optional size tire from the factory specs at 28.0" O.D. I can't see how that tire will mess up the computer controls of the vehicle or the speedo calibration.
So once again has anyone had any mechanical issues going to larger tires. Just sounds a bunch of legal crap to cover their a**
Unread 06-25-2008, 05:29 PM   #128
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

No problems but this is what you'll run into. A taller tire will will throw off your speedo and because of the electronics does affect the shift points in a very minute way. The dealer can re-cal your speedo but only up to 28" tall, that's what the Wranglers are on the Patriot FD II and optional on others.

I have absolutely NO problem with 29" tires on mine. I had my speedo recalled to the 28's and it's off about 3mph @60.

Just for the fun of it take a look at the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza in a 235/55-18 and the 225/55-18 Michelin HydroEdge. I know they're not Grand Touring tire but check them out. Also, as long as they have INFORMED you that it's not recommended, they're covered. I don't understand their refusal to sell them to you. If needed, don't tell them what they're for, it's none of their business.

Unread 06-25-2008, 05:54 PM   #129
Coasty161
2008 JK Wrangler 

tire rack had no problems selling me the 235/65/17 yokos. course they didnt have/ask for my jeep info.
Unread 06-26-2008, 11:30 AM   #130
cuemark8
2007 MK Compass 

Hey thanks guys. Will most likely order the tires from tirerack real soon. I still don't have my made up as to want tire I will go with. With all the driving I do I prize comfort and quietness over performance. Those OEM Firestones are truly terrible for road noise. To 07compassport. Those Yokohamas Geolanders look nice and I see you still used the OEM wheel! Nice setup! Is that Compass lifted? Doesn't look like it, but your specs say a 2 1/8" lift. not that I'm questioning you. That a good choice for a lift it really isn't that noticeable.

I use a dial-up connection at home I've wanted to send pics to Gramps forever and I really don't have a good setup to get the pics to my computer. It may be best, but the pics might be crappy, to take the pics with my cellphone and email them to Gramps from the phone.
Unread 06-26-2008, 07:46 PM   #131
Coasty161
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuemark8 View Post
Hey thanks guys. Will most likely order the tires from tirerack real soon. I still don't have my made up as to want tire I will go with. With all the driving I do I prize comfort and quietness over performance. Those OEM Firestones are truly terrible for road noise. To 07compassport. Those Yokohamas Geolanders look nice and I see you still used the OEM wheel! Nice setup! Is that Compass lifted? Doesn't look like it, but your specs say a 2 1/8" lift. not that I'm questioning you. That a good choice for a lift it really isn't that noticeable.

I use a dial-up connection at home I've wanted to send pics to Gramps forever and I really don't have a good setup to get the pics to my computer. It may be best, but the pics might be crappy, to take the pics with my cellphone and email them to Gramps from the phone.
it is lifted. there are some pics somewhere on here with the yokos and no lift and some after.
Unread 06-26-2008, 07:49 PM   #132
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07compasssport View Post
it is lifted. there are some pics somewhere on here with the yokos and no lift and some after.
Back a page to post 115.

Unread 06-26-2008, 07:52 PM   #133
Coasty161
2008 JK Wrangler 

lol... i could have looked but im in the process of fillin out job apps and lookin at usajobs. thanks gamps.
Unread 06-27-2008, 12:26 PM   #134
cuemark8
2007 MK Compass 

Gramps might want to move this.

Decided to buy the larger 225/60/18 tires for my Jeep Compass. Should fit fine. Now is was wondering how much the speedo would be off. So I did some looking and found a simple forumla that I wanted share with everyone.
I know the stock tire is a 215/55/18 with an 27.4" O.D. the new tire will have an 28.6" O.D.

Assuming that the speedo is correct from the factory with the stock tires and rims.
The forumla is:
New tire size times a given speed all of that divided by the old size. SO.....
28.6 X 70 MPH= 2002
2002 / 27.4=73.06 actual

Now, lets say in theory I could lift the Jeep and install a set of 35" mudders
35 X 70MPH=2450
2450 / 27.4=89.41 actual Now thats huge!

This was so simple it works for any speed. O.D. for any tire should be able to be located at some place like tirerack where specs for any tire can be found.

3 MPH variance with my speedo is nothing to be concered about. Unless somebody goes with a major lift and some seroius mud tires on a vehicle changing one or two tires sizes isn't that big of a deal.
That forumla also works if a smaller tire was installed.

Bigger tires may or may not change MPG's. More torque is required to turn the larger diameter and heavier tires. Which means for fuel used to get that torque. However, once moving since the tires covers for ground because a larger circumfrunce. Which basically is a change to your final drive ratio. As above, with speedo reading 70 MPH it's actually 73MPH. So, to go 70MPH the speedo will read 67MPH. With gearing not changing 67MPH will create lower engine RPM, saving possible fuel.
People who notice a sluggishness from installing larger tires come from both of these factors. At 60MPH the larger tires require more torque to turn yet the engine isn't turning as many RPM now so the engine is putting out less torque and horsepower and tires are needing more. It's a double whammy! It's true and can be noticeable.

Theres your physics lesson for today!
I can't give a spelling lesson, though. hehe

Last edited by cuemark8; 06-27-2008 at 01:04 PM..
Unread 06-27-2008, 04:08 PM   #135
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

This is fine where it is. I think we may have gone threw this stuff before but it all gets lost in the longer threads (still better than having 20 short threads tho). Here is a handy calculator at 1010 Tires.

Don't forget your gas mileage will read "short" too because your odometer is showing fewer miles than it should.

New tire diameter divided by old tire diameter = multiplier

(28.6/27.4=1.04)

Miles shown on odometer times multiplier = total miles

Total miles divided by gallons used.

Tags
18" tires , compass , patriot , tires , wheels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.