Optional tires/wheels for MK's (pg 6 for sizes) - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Optional tires/wheels for MK's (pg 6 for sizes)

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 11-13-2007, 08:14 PM   #91
lurker15
2007 MK Compass 

hey guys,

i've bought a Jeep Compass 07 and was wondering whats the biggest rim size i can go without having to do any lift/lowering mods.

Cheers

lurker15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2007, 05:04 AM   #92
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Pillzny has 20’s on his and Startech also used 20’s .

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showp...1&postcount=33

http://img256.imageshack.us/my.php?image=frontew5.jpg

http://www.imagewoof.com/view_image/c668e2216/Side.JPG

http://www.imagewoof.com/view_image/1e13c2227/Back.JPG

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2007, 10:32 AM   #93
Laloggia
2010 JK Wrangler 

I just put on some 18 x 8 on the Compass with 235/50/18 radials. Very nice with perfect fit from tire rack. Pictures soon.

I have been getting many people saying" is that a limited edition"???

I tell them its an SRT10 conversion with 450 hp and watch their jaw drop...then i say "just kidding"....new rims and tires
2007 Honda Civic Coupe
Laloggia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2007, 07:55 PM   #94
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

This is a preliminary review on 29" tires with a CVT2.

My mileage does drop a little with the cold weather but I've noticed with the 29's it's dropped between 2 - 3 mpg. I'll figure half of that is due to the weather (we're expecting snow tomorrow) and the rest to the engine having to work harder to get up to cruising speed. I have to give it another 500 - 1000 rpm to give me approximately the same acceleration rate as before. Once there I'm running 2 - 300 rpm less than previously.

The tires themselves are very nice, quieter than the Firehawks, wider so the cornering is good, but they are a truck tire and it does ride more "truckish", not unpleasantly so.

I'll probably be dropping back to some 28" Grand Touring or Truck tires somewhere down the road only because of the lack of mpg and performance with the 29's. They are not quite what I was looking for, but would probably do well on a CVT2L with the lower gears. Losing a half inch gc and gaining half inch on clearances around the wheel well and strut spring mount will still let it all look proportional with the lift kit. No problems with that at all!!!

At $103 plus shipping they were a fairly cheap experiment. I may even keep them until they wear out in 5 years or so. They aren't absolutely terrible.

Unread 11-21-2007, 03:34 PM   #95
Laloggia
2010 JK Wrangler 

Ok, heres some links to my new wheels. Tell me what you think. Kinda rainy out when I took them.

http://server6.theimagehosting.com/i...=Jeep1.5a3.JPG

http://server6.theimagehosting.com/i...=Jeep2.02b.JPG

http://server6.theimagehosting.com/i...=Jeep3.a52.JPG

http://server6.theimagehosting.com/i...=Jeep4.1bf.JPG

-Mike
2007 Honda Civic Coupe

Last edited by Laloggia; 11-21-2007 at 03:49 PM..
Unread 11-21-2007, 04:26 PM   #96
Coasty161
2008 JK Wrangler 

looks good. matches the car well.
Coasty161 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2007, 04:44 PM   #97
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Looks good! What size did you get and where?

Unread 11-22-2007, 09:03 AM   #98
Laloggia
2010 JK Wrangler 

I went with the MODA MD2 From the Tire rack.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...7&autoModClar=

18x8 - They recommend the 215/55/18

I decided to go with the BF Goodrich G Force 235/50/18. They were a little wider. Perfect fit. Good price on the tires too - check them out.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=0
2007 Honda Civic Coupe
Unread 11-22-2007, 09:11 AM   #99
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Those tires look like they would give you a pretty comfortable ride! Keep us updated on how they handle the snow.

Unread 11-24-2007, 09:36 AM   #100
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
This is a preliminary review on 29" tires with a CVT2.

My mileage does drop a little with the cold weather but I've noticed with the 29's it's dropped between 2 - 3 mpg. I'll figure half of that is due to the weather (we're expecting snow tomorrow) and the rest to the engine having to work harder to get up to cruising speed. I have to give it another 500 - 1000 rpm to give me approximately the same acceleration rate as before. Once there I'm running 2 - 300 rpm less than previously.

The tires themselves are very nice, quieter than the Firehawks, wider so the cornering is good, but they are a truck tire and it does ride more "truckish", not unpleasantly so.

I'll probably be dropping back to some 28" Grand Touring or Truck tires somewhere down the road only because of the lack of mpg and performance with the 29's. They are not quite what I was looking for, but would probably do well on a CVT2L with the lower gears. Losing a half inch gc and gaining half inch on clearances around the wheel well and strut spring mount will still let it all look proportional with the lift kit. No problems with that at all!!!

At $103 plus shipping they were a fairly cheap experiment. I may even keep them until they wear out in 5 years or so. They aren't absolutely terrible.
Update I just did a 150 mile trip and got about 24.2 mpg, 60 mph @ 32 degrees. The most recent comparison that I can make is a 250 mile trip, 70 mph, 60 degrees where I got a solid 25.0 mpg before the tires and lift. They may not be too bad on trips but on shorter stop and go drives is where I take the mileage hit.

Wife likes these tires a LOT better, much quieter, better handling, more comfortable. Performance to her is still "zippy", better than her Grand Cherokee but she never puts her foot in to hers because she doesn't like to watch the gas gauge go down that fast . LOVES the ride height!

Daughter LOVES the ride height too and the quiet and comfort of the new tires, more like her Dakota, she likes to watch the cars a couple of links ahead of her and not just the one directly in front.

Unread 11-30-2007, 08:29 PM   #101
Jeepster55

maybe i missed this, but did you have anything 're-calibrated' for the taller tires? of course if you didn't, then you would be traveling farther than the vehicle thinks you are just due to the difference in diameter of your tires, hence a drop in fuel economy. just a thought......
Jeepster55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2007, 08:45 PM   #102
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I've got that under the Patriot Lift Kit Thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showp...4&postcount=59

I'm also in the process of re-tuning my driving skills . Just like starting all over with the CVT with a different ratio. It's come up a little but I just don't think that the little 4 cyl likes going from a low ratio of 14.37 up to 13.50. Sure rides nice tho. Additionally, if those out there with the 5spd think that they may be interested in the 29's you would be going from 15.53 up to 14.60 low, or about the same as the stock CVT, if you didn't like the performance of the CVT before, you probably won't like the 5spd now. Just the opinion of an old fart but I would leave the 29's to those with the FD II.

EDIT: The dealer can only re-cal for up to 28" tires, so after refiguring for 29" it gave me a multiplier of 1.03 and I pick up .7 mpg. That's about a mile and a half below what I would have expected to see this time of year with the temp dropping down to 30 and lower (16 degrees right now). I also had the TSB performed which gave me a lot better off the line but seemed to hurt mileage too so I can't put this all on the tires. The only real negatives that I have on these Kumhos is there is a little more brake modulation than with the Firehawks. The ride is great, a little stiffer in the rear end, quieter except over the really bad roads, cornering is still very good. Neither I or my Compass like the cold weather, actually the wind, but we both love the snow! I'll let you know how we do with it.

Unread 01-10-2008, 09:40 PM   #103
Coasty161
2008 JK Wrangler 

how the tires holding up to the cold midwest? got yokohama geolander A/Ts on order for the compass.
Coasty161 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2008, 01:30 AM   #104
mdls4
2008 JK Wrangler 

I was actually getting serious with replacing my tires, getting some quotes from a number of tire dealers here in Oz. Unfortunately for us Aussies - we have legal restrictions in what size tires we can put on. That size limit is 15mm above stock total rolling length. In other words, my 07 Compass Sport stock size tires are 215/60 R17 - making 690mm total rolling length.

The options I have in replacement tires only allows me to up the size to a total of 705mm.

Thanks to the very handy sizings listed by Gramps, I can narrow this down to the following tires:

225/60
235/55

I actually wanted some tires capable off road, to handle rock/mud tracks. With what is available in Australia, I have a very, very limited selection. There's the Scorpion STRs I think, and Yokohama GO51s I think? Either way, they are only the highway terrains, not the all terrains.

Big disappointment for me, unless someone currently using the H/Ts can tell me they work well off road??
mdls4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2008, 11:44 AM   #105
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Tires are such a subjective issue that I really hesitate to give any kind of recommendations. If looks are the most important thing to you then a 235 width at 29" tall would cover it but it will hurt acceleration and gas mileage. This does affect the "crawl ratio".

A shorter tire will get you off the line quicker but hurt your top end. Good for city driving but maybe not for the highway. It's a affective way to lower you gear ratio.

Just playing with the numbers using the FD II for an example.

A 29" tire would up the crawl ratio to 18.34:1.
A 25.85" tire would lower the crawl ratio to 20.56:1 (use the 2 1/8" lift kit to maintain the 9" gc)

A wider tire is better for cornering on the road but will be no advantage in snow and maybe not in sand.

All of these figures mean nothing if you don't have the right tread pattern for the your driving conditions. My 29" tires didn't affect the acceleration so much that I haven't been able to adapt, the 235 width is great on both dry and wet pavement, slush, ice and packed snow, the tread pattern on mine really suffers in fresh snow and packs it in the tread and makes it kind of squirrely.

Should I try another All Season tire it will be Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza at 235/65-18 (28.2"). They also make this in a 225/65-17 (28.4") and a 235/65-17 (28.8"). These have received really good reviews in the tire rack.

If I decide to keep what I have for non Winter Driving I intend on getting some dedicated winter tires. The 215/70-16 (27.9”) Pirelli Snow and Ice are my first choice.

For mdls4: a good off road tire may be the Yoko Geo A/T-s 225/60-17 if they are available in OZ. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....landar+A%2FT-S

Just an added note: I've lived longer than Elvis but I don't have the space to store things like he did at Graceland. Buying and storing a special set of winter tires and wheels doesn't really appeal to me at all. Please give some feed back on the Yoko Geo A/T's and the BS Dueler H/L Alenza in the snow if you have it.

Tags
18" tires , compass , patriot , tires , wheels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.