Optional tires/wheels for MK's (pg 6 for sizes) - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Optional tires/wheels for MK's (pg 6 for sizes)

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 06-09-2007, 01:13 AM   #46
jimmysjeepn
2007 MK Patriot 

bigger tires on a patriot with CVT?

I am wondering how adding bigger tires (probably 31's) would affect the CVT? It looks great, but I wouldnt want to cause any damage to the tranny.

any thoughts?

Unread 06-09-2007, 06:21 AM   #47
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Without some kind of lift, I would be more concerned about wheel well and tire damage. I've heard of no reported problems with our CVT2's. Taller tire = a little slower off the line but more speed in gears. From the center line of the wheel to the lip of the wheel well there is a 17" radius on the Compass, probably close to the same on the Patriot (feedback on that please), that equals a 34" diameter. With a 31" tire that only gives you 3" of "bounce room".

Something I noticed about off-the-line performance last night. Wife was driving the Compass (CVT) and I was following in my daughters '98 Dakota V-6, 5 speed, 2WD and I had to get into it to keep up! The Dakota is no race truck but certainly not a slug bug either. Some of us had talked about how our wife's got less mpg than us guys did, so I thought that now I knew why. WRONG! She said that she wasn't putting her foot in it and the mpg had INCREASED by over a mile per gallon on the EVIC from when we borrowed the daughters truck! Talk about a PERCIEVRED difference!

Just an opinion but I don't believe that the CVT would give you any trouble at all.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2007, 06:43 AM   #48
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

From the Service Manual:

REPLACEMENT TIRES
WARNING: Failure to equip the vehicle with tires having adequate speed capability can result in sudden tire failure.

WARNING: In order to maintain the speed capability of the vehicle, replacement tires must have speed ratings equal to or higher than those fitted to the vehicle as original equipment. If tires with lower speed ratings are fitted, the vehicle's handling may be affected and the speed capability of the vehicle may be lowered to the maximum speed capability of the replacement tires. To avoid an accident resulting in severe or fatal injury, consult the tire manufacturer in regards to maximum speed ratings.

It is recommended that tires equivalent to the original equipment tires be used when replacement is needed.

Failure to use equivalent replacement tires may adversely affect the safety and handling of the vehicle.

The original equipment tires provide a proper combination of many characteristics such as:

Ride
Noise
Handling
Durability
Tread life
Traction
Rolling resistance
Speed capability

The use of tires smaller than the minimum tire size approved for the vehicle can result in tire overloading and failure.

Use tires that have the approved load rating for the vehicle and never overload them. Failure to equip the vehicle with tires having adequate speed capability can result in sudden tire failure and loss of vehicle control.

The use of oversize tires may cause interference with vehicle components. Under extremes of suspension and steering travel, interference with vehicle components may cause tire damage.

Unread 06-12-2007, 07:59 PM   #49
zxjockey
2007 MK Patriot 

My Fortera 225/65/17 set is due in the last week of June. Since as Gramps so aptly calculated, they are so close in size to the Patriot nominals, the tire dealer is going to test fit them for me and let me try them for sure. I'll post my results for everyone when I'm hooked up. I think a lot of you Pat owners might like the Fortera Tripletred, since they look like the tires that SHOULD have been on the Pat in the first place!
zxjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2007, 09:52 AM   #50
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxjockey
My Fortera 225/65/17 set is due in the last week of June. Since as Gramps so aptly calculated, they are so close in size to the Patriot nominals, the tire dealer is going to test fit them for me and let me try them for sure. I'll post my results for everyone when I'm hooked up. I think a lot of you Pat owners might like the Fortera Tripletred, since they look like the tires that SHOULD have been on the Pat in the first place!
Please keep us posted on your speedo and odometer accuracy. 1/2" might not be enough for a recalibration, just curious.

Unread 06-16-2007, 10:04 AM   #51
cuemark8
2007 MK Compass 

Compass wheel offset

Been here before. Does anyone know the specs on the OEM wheel of the Compass limited? I know they're 18X7 with 215/55/18 tires. I what to install wider tires and rims. I've heard the Charger?RT wheels and Nitro wheels fit the Caliber. I would like install the 20X8 chrome Dodge Nitro wheels on the Jeep Compass. If I knew what the offsets where for the wheels, that would help alot.
cuemark8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2007, 10:13 AM   #52
pillzny

Bolt Pattern: 5x114.3
Center Bore: 71.5
Hardware:12x1.50 Lug
Offset: 34-42mm
pillzny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2007, 07:43 PM   #53
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm from jimmysjeepn
I have a question for you. I was reading the "bigger tires on an patriot" thread. I am in the process of buying some Rubicon wheels for my Patriot. I have a sport model and I have the ugly sport wheels. I am not really interested in lifting my patriot but I would like to have some nice A/T tires and some Rubicon wheels. Do you know what the biggest size tire I can put on with a 16" wheel? Would a 215/70/16 work? Any help would be appreciated!
I’ll try to make this brief. There are many websites out there that have very complete information on how to select tires, wheels or complete packages. My favorites are:

http://www.tirerack.com/
and
http://www.1010tires.com/

A few facts about MK Wheels:

The 16” & 17” wheels are both 6.5“ wide; the 18” is 7.0” wide.
Tire widths that these wheels can handle: 205 (8”), 215 (8.5”), 225 (8.85”) need a 6”-8” rim width; 235 (9.25’), 245 (9.65”), 255 (10”) and above need a 6.5”-8.5” wide rim.

The largest FACTORY tire used is the P215/65R17 at 28.00” tall. Let’s consider that for a standard tire that will fit in your wheel wells and in the trunk well for the spare. Remember too that a wider tire than a 215 may not let the rear cover fit down over the tire. The most important thing about a spare tire (to me) is having one (close to) the same height as the others, not necessarily the same width (you are going to change it ASAP, right?) You will have to watch your speed and adjust accordingly if the spare does not match the other tires, the handling WILL BE adversely effected. Treat a different size/non matching spare as if it were the same as a compact spare.

In this example for Jimmy, he says that he is getting some 16” Rubicon rims. I did some searching and found that they were 8” wide which still fits in the tire sizing guide above. The tire size that he wants to use is 215/70/16 and would work nicely at 27.8” tall.

What kind of tire to get? You should choose a tire for your worst possible driving conditions. Jimmy wants an A/T type tire. For this application I went into the TireRack.com site, clicked on “Tires by size”, used the pull down menu and selected the sizes, checked “On-/Off-Road All-Terrain”, clicked on “Proceed to Results”, and came up with a list of tires. Click on a picture of any of the tires and you will see a sample of that tire and it’s rating by consumers. Now from here you can narrow down your search even better. Click on “Compare this tire to other On-/Off-Road All-Terrain” and then “Show only tires in my size” and you’ll find how others have ranked the kind of tires that you’re looking for.

I have kept this to street tires because I feel that the vast majority of us will need a dual purpose tire even those with Patriot with FD II. If your doing some real heavy duty off-roading I do recommend specialty tires and wheels just for that purpose. The Lifted Patriot may look, cool, sweet or whatever to you (it does to me, too) but I personally wouldn’t want to run those tires every day at 60 – 80 mph, in the rain, snow or ice.

The first chart is for Jimmy’s tires and any of them would work nicely depending on his budget and what his driving conditions are like.

The second chart is for the Firestone FireHawks that came on my Compass. The 3rd chart is a 30” tall Pirelli that interests me. I’m also looking at a 29” tall tire (chart 4) that has a few tradeoffs on the ratings against the Perilli's, but still rated as either Superior or Excellent, that would save me $150.

So what it comes down to is to go in to these tire sites and play around with the different sizes, compare the performance ratings and do the best that you can with you money.

I hope this helps.
215-70-16.jpg   firehawk.jpg   pirelli.jpg   gyear-eagle-responsedge.jpg  

Unread 06-20-2007, 08:31 PM   #54
jimmysjeepn
2007 MK Patriot 

Let me be the first to say that we are lucky to have Gramps as our mod. WOW. In the words of Bob Uecker, "How about that One folks". I love it.

Note from Gramps: Mods are just users like the rest. We do this for fun, too!
Unread 06-25-2007, 09:45 PM   #55
zxjockey
2007 MK Patriot 

FDI Patriot Tire Sizes Redux

Hi folks;
We've discussed this in a few growing threads, so I thought I'd fulfill Gramp's request here and post my results.

Referencing this thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/optional-tires-wheels-mks-pg-6-sizes-410134/

The tire dealer called and said my Fortera Tripletreds (225/65/17) were in early, so I've got them mounted up, and so far so good. My full-lock turn clearance from the inside rear of the tire to the inner skirt is good but not huge (For you guys looking to really oversize, this is where it might hurt you). The tracking is as good as the Firestones were, the road noise is slightly higher but not significantly so, and now all I need is snowboard season to get here so I can find out if my new Jeep snow machine really is! I've already plowed it through water, and it was like the water wasn't there, true to the Tripletred promise.

So on to the tests. I ran GPS tests (Gramps asked for a speedo report) with two goals in mind. One was to report on the actual speedo difference, and the other was to prove to myself whether the ratio of Turns/Mile from one tire size to another gives the correct multiplier for any of you to estimate your speed differences for any tire change. More on that after the results if anyone cares about the math.

I ran the test using a Garmin GPSMAP 76, with about a 15 foot accuracy circle, so I had good tight numbers. I used a long stretch of I75 and only took GPS speeds on the straight flat runs, which is the only place a GPS is any good for speed. The greatest error in this test was unfortunately my eyeballs on the speedo, but I took care with that.

Results:

Indicated (Speedo) - Actual (GPS)
40 - 41.7
50 - 52.5
60 - 62.7
70 - 73.1
80 - 83.8

The reason I was happy about these numbers is this; I had long figured that if the Turns/Mile rating for each tire (You can get nice reports on this from Tirerack) was accurate, then the Turns/Mile of the old tire divided by the Turns/Mile of the new tire (Yes, that looks backwards, but remember the relationship is INVERSE - Larger Tire increases actual speed for indicated speed) would yield a multiplier that would give you the theoretical actual speed for any indicated speed (The slope of the line formed on the New Speed vs Old Speed graph, if you REALLY care!).

The Firestone Affinity tires I had were listed at 766 Turns/Mile. The New Forteras at 733 Turns/Mile. 766/733 = 1.045. Any indicated speed * 1.045 SHOULD give me the theoretical actual speed with that tire. I was pleased to see that the GPS test netted numbers almost exactly that. The only necessity is that you know your speedo was accurate to begin with. I tested that before the new tires went on.
So before you even mount any new tire you select, go to Tirerack Specs, look up the turns/mile of your existing and your new tires, and you'll be able to nail a good picture of what your speedo error will be.

I hope all this is of interest to some of you.

Last edited by zxjockey; 06-25-2007 at 09:46 PM.. Reason: Spelling
zxjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2007, 04:37 AM   #56
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I certainly appreciate the feedback! I was trying to talk the wife into the GY Fortera TrippleTreds for her GC but she has to have RWL and they're not available for 18" at either 28.5 or 29's for mine . There's a lot better tread selection in the 17" sizes.

Unread 08-03-2007, 01:48 PM   #57
jimmysjeepn
2007 MK Patriot 

Rubicon wheels and new AT tires...PICS!

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k3...s/IMG_1017.jpg
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k3...s/IMG_1018.jpg
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k3...s/IMG_1019.jpg

I am pretty happy. The tires are a bit small for the wheels. The tire size is 215/70/16. Let me know what all of you actually think...I am thinking about putting these tires on the stock sport wheels because I think the tires may look better on those instead of the rubicon wheels. It certainly looks better than it did with the stock sport wheels and tires...Let me know!
Unread 08-04-2007, 05:08 AM   #58
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Looking good to me! A definite improvement
eimg_1017.jpg   eimg_1018.jpg   eimg_1019.jpg  

Unread 08-04-2007, 09:13 AM   #59
madrabbitt

i cant tell what brand and model those tires are, but i sure do like how it looks

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2007, 08:21 AM   #60
jimmysjeepn
2007 MK Patriot 

anyone know what the biggest tires you can fit on a Patriot without a lift?

235/75?
225/75?

Tags
18" tires , compass , patriot , tires , wheels

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.