Optional tires/wheels for MK's (pg 6 for sizes) - Page 14 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Optional tires/wheels for MK's (pg 6 for sizes)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 05-03-2009, 07:09 PM   #196
Coasty161
2008 JK Wrangler 

fyi, computer was still rcving signal from sensors in wheels that were in trunk.

Coasty161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2009, 10:04 AM   #197
Rall-E
2008 MK Compass 

what does offset hpo, med, fwd mean?
Rall-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2009, 04:49 PM   #198
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

This is one of the best links for wheel nomenclature and general info that I've found. Let me know if it answers your questions.

hpo is High Positive Offset

Here is another site with good info.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2009, 12:38 AM   #199
DJ-bobo
2010 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
I’ve tried to narrow down the tire search for factory wheels (rims) with this list of the most popular tire sizes available. The categories of “Very Poor, Poor, etc “ is completely subjective, if some of these categories that I have rated low on the list have the tread pattern/qualities that you’re after then you’ll have a different opinion. I’ve also included the stock tire sizes in bold for comparison. This is NOT an all inclusive list, some tire sizes were left out because they only had 1 or 2 manufactures listed and as time goes by manufacturers will no doubt come up with some new sizes.

It’s my opinion that you should not go any wider than a 235 tire or taller than “about” 29”. Thanks to jimmysjeepn, zxjockey, YeepYeepin we have validation on those assumption! I have listed a few tires just barely over the 29” limit that come with a caution note that they may be too tall. Again “I don’t think so” and they may be worth looking at.

Also available are tire and wheel packages from a variety of sources that we can’t even start to cover. You will need to assume that they did the necessary research on their own products.

Going one more step for those that want a separate set of wheel and tire strictly for off-road use and you want something taller than 29”, you will need to have rims with a different off-set and back spacing, just like I believe the Jeep Engineers did on the Lifted Patriot with the 31” BFG’s. They also make 1”, 1.25”, 1.5”, and even 2” wheel spacers machined from T6 6061 billet aluminum that are off-road rated but not legal for street use in all states. These are not cheap, somewhere in the $170 - $250 category. Since the off-road folks could be running quite a variety of tires I won’t try to determine how much off-set they will need. Maybe they can give us some feed back later on.

The last caveat on changing tire height, your speedometer may need to be recalibrated.

For a quick look to see what's available in each size go to The Tire Rack and put in the size and type of tire you're looking for.

16”

205/70R16" - 27.3" – Very Poor selection

215/65R16" - 27.2 - Good Selection
215/70R16" - 27.85” - Good tire selection

225/65R16" – 27.5” – Poor selection
225/70R16" – 28.4” – Excellent selection
225/75R16” – 29.3" – Excellent selection Max

235/60R16” – 27.1” – Excellent selection
235/65R16” – 28” – Poor selection
235/70R16” – 28.95” – Excellent selection

245/70R16" - 29.5" - Excellent selection - confirmed fit!

17”

215/60R17” – 27.2" – Fair selection
215/65R17” – 28” – Fair selection

225/60R17” – 27.6” – Fair selection
225/65R17” - 28.5” – Good selection
225/70R17” – 29.4" - Excellent selection Max

235/55R17” – 27.2" – Excellent selection
235/60R17" - 28.1" - Good selection
235/65R17” – 29.0" – Excellent selection

18”

215/55R18” – 27.3" – Very Poor selection

225/55R18” – 27.8" – Fair selection
225/60R18” – 28.6" – Very Good selection

235/50R18" - 27.3" - Good Selection
235/55R18” – 28.2" – Fair selection
235/60R18” – 29.1" – Very Good selection Max
BOSS, many thanks for your instruction for changing MK tires

i want to know if all above doesn't need to use OME to rise car? and what's kind of AR rims to suitable for MK compass?
DJ-bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2009, 05:55 AM   #200
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

This list was made before lift kits were available so they all will work with out one except those that are marked Max which may or may not fit. The only problem with the ones that are slightly over 29" is the little nub on the rear of the front fender well that rubs in hard turns. Some people have taken a heat gun and flattened those out to get enough clearance. Just keep in mind that the taller the tire the slower it will be "off the line" and 29" is livable but the dealers can only re-cal the speedo for up to a 28" tire (215/65R17).

I didn't get into the aftermarket rims, way too many manufacturers on those so you'll need to go by what they say is supposed to fit.

I do have Kumho 235/60R18 on mine right now with about 30K mile on them and I'll get about another year or 15K on them before I need to buy more tires. At that time I'll be swapping to the 16" Patriot steel wheels that I've picked up and going with either a 225/70R16 or a 235/70R16. There are some really great tread selections in those sizes that would fit what I want in the On/Off Road All Terrain category. I'll also be doing a "rattle can" paint job on the wheels to make them look "different".

Unread 10-15-2009, 01:03 AM   #201
DJ-bobo
2010 MK Compass 

That's meaning I don't need to lift compass if the new tires are not over size 29" right?

compass limited is with stock wheel specification:
bolt 5x4.5(5x114.3mm)
offset+45mm
now I search new tires+wheel through internet first. How about COOPER tires? many jeep firends recommend this brand, and I'm interested in ATR (70% on road 30% off road)

I want to know if smaller wheel is suitable for off road? or small wheel can be found more great tires, such like R16 what you said. finally Hope to see your different wheel soon. haha~
Unread 10-15-2009, 04:30 AM   #202
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ-bobo View Post
That's meaning I don't need to lift compass if the new tires are not over size 29" right?
Correct.

Quote:
compass limited is with stock wheel specification:
bolt 5x4.5(5x114.3mm)
offset+45mm
now I search new tires+wheel through Internet first. How about COOPER tires? many jeep friends recommend this brand, and I'm interested in ATR (70% on road 30% off road)
I always recommend going with the tread pattern that you like. I have run Cooper passenger tires on cars in the past and they seem to do the job that I wanted them to do. Which ones are you looking at?

Quote:
I want to know if smaller wheel is suitable for off road? or small wheel can be found more great tires, such like R16 what you said. finally Hope to see your different wheel soon. haha~
Other Jeeps have run 15" & 16" tires for years so the size of the wheel/rim won't have any bearing on the off road ability. As far as I know nobody has found a 15" wheel that will fit the MK's because of the disc brakes.

16" tires have the best availability and price with 17" not being too far behind. The smaller wheel allows for a taller sidewall that helps with ride comfort too. In the last couple of years several manufacturers have expanded their sizes so we have more available than we used to. There are also some "private" label smaller manufactures that make some good tires in the US and that may hold true where you are too or there may be some tires that aren't imported to the US that I don't have information on.

Unread 10-15-2009, 10:02 PM   #203
DJ-bobo
2010 MK Compass 

Quote:
Other Jeeps have run 15" & 16" tires for years so the size of the wheel/rim won't have any bearing on the off road ability. As far as I know nobody has found a 15" wheel that will fit the MK's because of the disc brakes.

16" tires have the best availability and price with 17" not being too far behind. The smaller wheel allows for a taller sidewall that helps with ride comfort too. In the last couple of years several manufacturers have expanded their sizes so we have more available than we used to. There are also some "private" label smaller manufactures that make some good tires in the US and that may hold true where you are too or there may be some tires that aren't imported to the US that I don't have information on.
I like COOPER DISCOVERER ATR 235/65R17 104T, and want to change stock wheel from 18" to 17" for this new tires. Now according to your good instruction, I'm ready to change to 16" wheel and with tries size 235/70R16 106T. That's more safe for without lift compass, as the tires girth is shorter(29.06" for R17, 28.97" for R16).

what do you think for my selection above? But i want to know if oil consumption is more than stock compass? as the price of local gas was increased again and again. I can aeecpt a litter bit increase.

How about wheel AR? As I know it's with nice style and good quality in USA.
Sorry for bothering you again.
Unread 10-16-2009, 08:41 AM   #204
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Tires are very subjective and those look nice. The overall diameter difference between the 16/17 is only .09" which only reduces the clearance all the way around by .045", very insignificant. Go with whatever you like.

If you do a lot of in town driving your gas mileage may go down a little, 1 or 2 mpg but if you drive mostly long stretches it may go up a little. It depends a lot on stop and go and how fast you drive. It shouldn't change drastically.

I'm not sure what you mean by "AR wheel". Help me out on that one.

Never a bother, I'd rather help someone out than Mod.

Unread 10-19-2009, 01:48 AM   #205
DJ-bobo
2010 MK Compass 

Quote:
Tires are very subjective and those look nice. The overall diameter difference between the 16/17 is only .09" which only reduces the clearance all the way around by .045", very insignificant. Go with whatever you like..
According to your clear suggestion, I decide to buy 17" wheel + tires 235/65/R17. as I think bigger wheel is more nice.

Quote:
If you do a lot of in town driving your gas mileage may go down a little, 1 or 2 mpg but if you drive mostly long stretches it may go up a little. It depends a lot on stop and go and how fast you drive. It shouldn't change drastically..
ok, now i know MPG is almost same. tks.

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by "AR wheel". Help me out on that one.
Never a bother, I'd rather help someone out than Mod.
Are you american? How don't you know AR?
AR=American Racing, it's a famous wheel/rims manufacturer in the world, have many many nice styles for JEEP as I know. Such as the photos below:
American Racing: Official Manufacturer Website- custom, chrome, polished and painted wheels

Thanks for your kindness
Unread 10-19-2009, 04:47 AM   #206
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
According to your clear suggestion, I decide to buy 17" wheel + tires 235/65/R17. as I think bigger wheel is more nice.

ok, now i know MPG is almost same. tks.
Anytime, I'm happy to oblige.

Quote:
Are you American? How don't you know AR?
AR=American Racing, it's a famous wheel/rims manufacturer in the world, have many many nice styles for JEEP as I know. Such as the photos below:
American Racing: Official Manufacturer Website- custom, chrome, polished and painted wheels

Thanks for your kindness
Yup, but read my profile, I'm just an old hot rodder. I do get lost sometimes between net lingo, computereze, corporate abbreviations, texting and all of the other "new" languages out there so sometimes I need it spelled out so that we can be on the same page. My brain is full but don't ask my wife what it's full of.

Unread 03-14-2010, 02:10 PM   #207
cuemark8
2007 MK Compass 

Looking through these posts. Has anyone had any issues with a 235/60/18 tire on stock wheels and stock suspension? I have had 225/60/18 Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires on my Compass with no issues and they are a fantastic tire. I will soon need to replace them I may try to squeeze the 235/60/18 size onto the vehicle. Will they fit without issues?
cuemark8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2010, 01:33 AM   #208
Tony1911
2007 MK Patriot 

On that maximum tire size... As reported at the "other place", one chap in Australia has managed to run 265/75/16 tires under his Patriot. That's a calculated overall diameter of 31.6" When asked how he managed that, the answer was "spacers, angle grinder, sledge hammer and a blowtorch pretty much sums it up!"

Looks pretty impressive, doesn't it?
Unread 04-21-2010, 01:21 PM   #209
bseblfrk09
2013 JK Wrangler 

Has anyone had any problems with bigger tires and warranty issues?
bseblfrk09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2010, 01:57 PM   #210
case5412
2008 MK Compass 

I have the hub extensions for my Compass and I fit 15" wheels on pretty easy. The wheels were from a 1992 Comanche.
case5412 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
18" tires , compass , patriot , tires , wheels

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.