Optional tires/wheels for MK's (pg 6 for sizes) - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Optional tires/wheels for MK's (pg 6 for sizes)

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 04-18-2009, 10:46 AM   #181
miketmx
2008 MK Patriot 

Yesterday I almost bought some cheaper $110 alloy wheels in Canada but at the last minute I showed the work estimate to the shop manager and he suggested that I pass on the cheap ones and get steel wheels instead because of the possible abuse from winter driving. I ordered plain jane steel wheels from a different shop and they will only be used for my winter Michelin tires.

miketmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2009, 05:45 PM   #182
engine5

replacement tire question

After a recent state inspection, I was informed that I will probably need new tires by the end of the summer. I do not want replace them with the brand that came with the Patriot (Firestone). The vehicle is used primarily by my wife so I'm not looking for any type of off road tire. Just a good all season tire (we live in the northeast).
I understand this is for most a nuisance newbie question. But I was hoping for advice from those who have had their Patriot/Compass/Caliber longer than I have had mine. Any assistance is appreciated.
engine5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2009, 06:42 PM   #183
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Do you have 16" or 17" wheels? Go back to post 76 of this thread and pick out a size that's appropriate and then plug the numbers in at The Tire Rack. I always recommend staying close to a 28" tall tire as a compromise between performance, ride and mpg. The Firestones and Goodyears that came with these are not the best but there are others made by them and others that are far better.

Welcome to the group!

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2009, 12:25 PM   #184
Argent33
2014 JK Wrangler 

Ok without having to really troll through 12 pages of chatter - I have what I think is a 'simple' question

I have 215/55R18” – 27.3" Crapstones - err Firestones

I've found some 235/60R18” – 29.1" Yokohama Parada Spec-X that I like as replacements (http://tinyurl.com/cxeejc0)

a) Can I use these? (charts on page 6 say yes?)
b) Will I have to take the Jeep in to get recalibrated? (and will they even know what the heck to do?)

-[O l l l l l l l O]- 2014 Freedom Edition JKU - Hydro Blue 6-Spd
Argent33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2009, 12:47 PM   #185
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent33 View Post
Ok without having to really troll through 12 pages of chatter - I have what I think is a 'simple' question
Better 12 pages of chatter than 50 disconnected threads.

Quote:
I have 215/55R18” – 27.3" Crapstones - err Firestones

I've found some 235/60R18” – 29.1" Yokohama Parada Spec-X that I like as replacements (http://tinyurl.com/cxeejc0)

a) Can I use these? (charts on page 6 say yes?)
Yes, but the link didn't work for me. You will loose some of your off the line performance going up to 29 +.

Quote:
b) Will I have to take the Jeep in to get recalibrated? (and will they even know what the heck to do?)
The Dealer can only recal to 28" tall tires as are the optional Wrangler SR/A's. You'll still need to make a mental note that you are speeding if you go by the speedo.

Unread 05-01-2009, 12:55 PM   #186
Argent33
2014 JK Wrangler 

Hmm ok thanks Gramps - (not sure why the link didn't work - http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes....=Parada+Spec-X - I ran Parada Spec-II's on my Neon in the summer and loved them!)

Looks like they also make them in 225/60R18's

Unread 05-01-2009, 01:22 PM   #187
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Those are nice! They say "all season", you didn't try them in the winter? As soon as my Kumho's 235/60-18's wear our I'll be dropping back down in height a little. It could be a while, these Kumho's are wearing like iron! There's a lot more available than there was when i first started looking. Wow, that was 21 months ago!

Unread 05-01-2009, 01:34 PM   #188
Argent33
2014 JK Wrangler 

Hahaha no my Parada Spec-II's were definitely NOT all-season

But the Spec-X's look nice and the reviews/specs look good too - of course I probably won't need to change tires until next year if what I hear about the life of the Firestones (20-30K) is true...I've only got just over 14K on the clock currently

Unread 05-01-2009, 01:50 PM   #189
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

OH! Sorry! Those Spec-X's in 225/60-18 just went in to my top 10 list for 18's.

Unread 05-01-2009, 01:58 PM   #190
Argent33
2014 JK Wrangler 

If I may pick your brain - what else rounds out your top 10 for the 18's?

Always looking for other suggestions and alternatives

(oh and with the 225/60R18's would the Jeep still need to be re calibrated?)

Ideally I'd like to go down to some 17's with some beefier tires and the RRO lift - but monetarily I don't think that will happen until well past the warranty expires :P

Unread 05-01-2009, 02:39 PM   #191
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

IF you'll keep in mind that I'll limit this to just getting rid of the 18' firehawks, keeping the same wheels and the stock tire pressure sensors. This list would cover me for our 6 months of over night lows being below 32 F, Winter in my opinion. For the South, South West and East and West Coast the list would change. There are MANY good tires out there that just don't cover my snow and ice requirements.

This is just from the info and reviews at the TireRack and these are not necessarily in order because they run sales and have gift cards sometimes which may make any tire more cost affective than another at any given time.

27.8" - 225/55-18
Michelin HydroEdge

28.6" - 225/60-18
General Altimax HP
Michelin Primacy MXV4
Bridgestone Turanza Serenity (lacking on snow & ice rating that I would like)
BFG Advantage T/A
Goodyear Assurance TripleTred
Yokohama Parada Spec-X

28.2" - 235/55-18
Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza

Sorry, #10 is a 16" for my Patriot steel wheels
28.4" 225/70-16
Pirelli Scorpion ATR

If anybody is looking to go with different sized tires than theirs came with I would recommend having the dealer calibrate their speedo to 28" tires and be done with it. You can't calibrate it any higher and if you do go with a smaller tire at least you won't be caught speeding because of speedo error.

Unread 05-01-2009, 02:44 PM   #192
Argent33
2014 JK Wrangler 

Thanks Gramps!

Unread 05-01-2009, 04:08 PM   #193
engine5

Thanks for the responses and the welcome.

I should have given more information. My wife's Patriot currently runs on
P215/60R17 Firestones. I know the Tire Rack carries many diffrerent brands of tires but I am more interested in finding a tire that is the same size but provides better traction. Just wondering what works for others. Maybe I should've posted in the original thread but I was just looking to replace the size I already have not increase the size or change the rim size.
engine5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2009, 04:52 PM   #194
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

We do the original sizes in here too. It's all good. Are you looking for a general purpose all season tire since PA does get snow or something to fit some special criteria? Also, are you budget minded? Tires are very subjective.

These would be the ones that I would look at for standard replacement, all season, gp tire in the rust belt:

General Altimax HP
Pirelli P4 Four Season
Yokohama AVID TRZ
Michelin HydroEdge
Goodyear Assurance ComforTred

Unread 05-02-2009, 02:03 PM   #195
miketmx
2008 MK Patriot 

My plain jane black steel wheels 17" x 6.5" without sensors showed up and I got my Michelin Xice i2 winter tires mounted and balanced on them. I put one wheel on our Patriot and the TPMS didn't complain at all, it just showed 35 lbs the same as the Goodyear Wrangler SRA in the trunk. I frequently study the reviews on tirerack.com but I take these with a grain of salt when comparing a tire with 600,000 user miles versus a tire with 13,000,000 user miles on it. In some cases the ratings completely disagree with the ratings at 1010tires.com. I know that tirerack.com shows more tires for the 16" OEM Patriot wheel but let's face it IMHO that factory steel wheel is kinda ugly compared to the 17" alloy wheel that came on our North Edition Patriot. My choice for replacement tires is reduced to the 215/65/17 Pirelli 4 Seasons P4 or the Yokohama Avid TRZ. I would consider the Yokohama Geolander AT/S in 225/60/17 but for some reason that size does not seem available in Canada. It looks like a Patriot is supposed to be fitted with passenger car all season touring tires instead of light truck SUV all terrain tires like my XJ Cherokee.

The OEM Goodyear Wrangler SRA tires have 25k miles on them and are about half worn out. They are far noisier than the Michelin winter tires and are tolerable in mud and snow but do not stop on ice. Their rating on tirerack.com is very bad compared to the others that Gramps listed.

Last edited by miketmx; 05-02-2009 at 02:35 PM..
miketmx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
18" tires , compass , patriot , tires , wheels

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.