Optional tires/wheels for MK's (pg 6 for sizes) - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Optional tires/wheels for MK's (pg 6 for sizes)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 02-20-2009, 04:35 AM   #166
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by plunderisley View Post
So 16" would work on the Compass with no issues with the brakes? If so, then this just might be doable out here....
IF they have the right back spacing/offset. All 16" rims are not created equal but the Patriot ones are the ones to look for. Since the Compass never used 16's the listing for aftermarket should say for Patriot.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2009, 05:11 AM   #167
plunderisley

It would have to be a different aftermarket one as the Jeep dealer here rips you off.
I think ATT 16" ones will work as I saw another Jeep Compass with them, but the European CRD version..

Tire wise, I have this options for the 215/65/16
Good Year UG Performance
Good Year Eagle UG GW3
DUNLOP DUNLOP SP Winter Sport 3D

Also, there seems to be a option here either 4x4 or regular car tires. I'm guessing I go with 4x4 though my car is 4x2?

Last edited by plunderisley; 02-20-2009 at 05:53 AM..
plunderisley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2009, 05:49 AM   #168
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The Euro CRD would use the same wheels. The manufactures will have the specs, just go with what they list for fitment. I bought my Patriot 16's on eBay, the Jeep dealer that I have usually dealt with adds an extra 15% on top of list price. I wonder if they realize how much this hurts their name and amount of business.

Unread 02-20-2009, 07:38 AM   #169
plunderisley

Quite sad why it's so expensive in the dealer here.
I called a few local shops and one can get me 235/70/16 tires. Hopefully that should work just fine.
Unread 02-20-2009, 05:50 PM   #170
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by plunderisley View Post
Quite sad why it's so expensive in the dealer here.
I called a few local shops and one can get me 235/70/16 tires. Hopefully that should work just fine.
Are they winter tires?

Unread 02-21-2009, 07:18 AM   #171
plunderisley

Yeah, Bridgestone Blizzak DM-Z3
I picked them up last night as any other ones was a week wait. At this stage of winter, every day counts.
Paid about 3,100PLN for 4 tires and rims which is about 800USD. That's good for the other prices here.

front of my Compass

front tire

rear tire
Unread 02-21-2009, 07:44 AM   #172
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Lookin' good . Keep us informed on how they do.

Unread 02-21-2009, 01:33 PM   #173
plunderisley

Will do
Unread 03-05-2009, 05:45 AM   #174
plunderisley

A followup on my tires (or tyres).
After a few weeks of driving them in the snow/slush and now the rain, I must say they are excellent. I had no issue with traction and driving on a foot or so of snow and slush. It handled great! The same places where I was sliding and slipping before, I have no issues now. They are great. The tires added a little height to my jeep as my CB antenna (which is mounted wrong. Have to fix that) now touches the top of the garage door (doors here in Poland are low). But they are worth every zloty (dollar, euro, pound, etc) I paid for them!

All I need now is to buy the TPS for the other 4 tires in the USA and have them mounted and I'm good to go for the seasons.
Unread 04-12-2009, 07:44 PM   #175
zing43

What is the biggest tire to use with 18" wheels and Lift Kit

I am going with the RRO lift kit on my 07 Compass, I have the 18" alloy wheels that were standard with the limited. Looking for advice what is the best and largest tire to use with the wheels. Would like a tire that is as quiet as possible on highway, is good in snow, yet can handle alittle fire road driving.
zing43 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2009, 01:52 PM   #176
Coasty161
2008 JK Wrangler 

good info here...http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/optional-tires-wheels-mks-pg-6-sizes-410134/ (see above)

Tire chart here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showp...4&postcount=76
Coasty161 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2009, 05:51 PM   #177
polished_heckle
2007 MK Patriot 

Picked these up in Portland, OR - the land of no sales tax. $125 USD each plus $80 installation for 5 tires. Compared to Canadian pricing, I saved a pile of money, even after factoring in the few tanks of gas to get to Portland.

They are 235/70-16 General Grabber AT2's, fitted to Cragar Soft 8 16" X 8" rims with 5X4.5" lug nut spacing and 5" backspacing. I bought the rims used for $175 CAD in Vancouver and painted them with 3 coats of black gloss Tremclad and 2 coats of clear Tremclad.

I was a little worried about going with 8" wide instead of the proven 7" wide Soft 8's, but as you can see, the 29.2" tire just barely touches the plastic bump on the pinch weld. No need for any modifications to the wheel wells (yes, I have the RRO lift installed).

There's lot's of clearance to the spring catch. This was the biggest reason I didn't go with the 245/70 size. The engineer in me tells me to keep clearance here.

The tires do pick up the dirt and throw it, but I was really impressed with how the treads clear themselves instantly. With the SR/A's, as soon as I got on the road, they were flinging dirt off the tires for half a kilometer. These Grabbers didn't fling any dirt that was clinging to them when I got back on the road.

The overall stance is definitely improved. The rims and tires are quite heavy compared to the stock 17" alloys. I've noticed a longer stopping distance, so will definitely adjust my driving accordingly. Each tire is speced at 36 lbs and the rims are 37 lbs each. meh, I've got a Pontiac Vibe if I want excellent milage.

Of course, I had to get a similar sized spare. I really believe you'll mess up the drivetrain if you drive oversized tires with an undersized spare. Your choice though. I'm not going to try to prove it. The spare will either be on the roof, or in the trunk. It does not fit in the spare cubby hole under the trunk.

On the road, these tires did exactly what I wanted. The Jeep no longer feels every bone jarring bump in the road. The additional sidewall gives extra air cushioning. I can't wait to go hit up some logging roads!

polished_heckle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2009, 06:36 PM   #178
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Were you able to use TPM Sensors in those wheels or are you running with out?

You also have the FD II so you didn't kill your low end either with 29's. I've heard some good things about those tire that you chose!

Unread 04-14-2009, 06:41 PM   #179
miketmx
2008 MK Patriot 

I'm just dying to know if you bought TPMS sensors to go with those wheels. I can buy alloy 17" wheels in Calgary for $800 Canadian or $560 U.S. in Montana either way without sensors and my winter tires mounted and balanced.
miketmx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2009, 12:37 PM   #180
polished_heckle
2007 MK Patriot 

The only lousy part is that my TPMS didn't get transferred to the new wheels (YET). Either Jeep or my dealer (so far un-named) installed metal valve caps that have corroded. The tire installer broke one of them off, and we decided not to break the other two that were also corroded.

I'll be going to the dealer and asking them to remove the other two valve caps and hopefully replace the broken sensor. My fourth sensor already has a plastic cap from a tire repair last summer.

If you have these valve caps, take them off! Replace them with properly speced TPMS valve caps, that have a seal and are plastic.

Others have installed the factory TPMS into the Soft 8 rims, so I'll be having them installed as soon as the broken one is replaced by the dealer (hopefully tomorrow).
polished_heckle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
18" tires , compass , patriot , tires , wheels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.