Optional tires/wheels for MK's (pg 6 for sizes) - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Optional tires/wheels for MK's (pg 6 for sizes)

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-06-2008, 06:52 PM   #151
OrangetheRipper
2007 MK Compass 

ive got some 255/55/18s on my compass without a lift. its a 29" diameter i believe. it does rub a bit on sharp turns, but the looks are well worth it imo, and im sure with a small spacer you could fix that issue. besides, i have the 2" lift, i just have to get it installed

OrangetheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 07:17 PM   #152
Snowplow
2003 TJ Wrangler 

you should try 235/50/18 its only a inch wider on each side and the speedo will only be off by 0.223 mph
Snowplow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2008, 09:35 PM   #153
Snowplow
2003 TJ Wrangler 

whell today was a red letter, the good ol firestone tire has a bubble in the side wall, and i just hit 15,000 miles so going to the dealer to get a new tire, wish me luck.
Snowplow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2008, 07:05 AM   #154
PirateKatz

In the past year, I've put a lot of miles on my Compass Sport and will likely be buying new tires in the next year. I currently have 215/65-17 Goodyear Wrangler SR-A's, which I've actually been pretty happy with. They're a bit loud on the highway but traction is good.

I realize it's a pretty subjective question but what are generally considered the best all season tires on the market?
PirateKatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2008, 05:02 PM   #155
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I went in briefly to the Tire Rack and looked around at a few variations in sizes that were about the same height. The Bridgestone Turanza Serenity in your stock size looked pretty darn good. The were also the most expensive at $132 each but they also have a 70K mile warranty. I only checked out all season passenger and Grand Touring, you may want to look at All season Highway truck tires too.

You're right, very subjective and opinions are like you know whats... everybody's got one.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2008, 11:10 AM   #156
mjbehren
2008 MK Compass 

15x7 rim?

Its snowing quite badly over here in GR, MI today. After driving around the Rallye Compass today it is clear that I will need snow tires.

I have a set of 15x7 rims, does anyone know off the top of their head (while I am sitting at work and unable to wrench on the Jeep), if the 15x7s will fit on a 2008 Rallye Compass?

Thanks,
Mb
mjbehren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2008, 04:46 PM   #157
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

We've thought about trying some 15" Caliber rims but I don't think anybody has gotten around to try them out yet. Any other 15" don't work, some have tried but the brakes are in the way. 16" do work, depending on the back spacing. The 16" steelies off of a Patriot and a set of Pirelli Snow and Ice are in my future, I've got the rims but haven't bought the tires yet.

Unread 11-25-2008, 12:43 PM   #158
BRICKTOP2
Unhingd PigFeedng Gangstr

2008 JK Wrangler 

I'm using a a spare set of factory Compass alloys with the Michelin X-Ice Xi2.
These tires are on sale for $87 for 215/60R-17 here:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes....odel=X-Ice+Xi2

I haven't tried these tires personally yet, but I hear they're pretty good.

Oh, and hi. I'm new to the Compass and Patriot forum. Just traded my wife's TRD FJ Cruiser in on a Compass. The FJ was lifted with a bunch of stuff and didn't make sense for her (pregnant) and our 2 year old any more.
I run a Jeep dealership so if you ever need a part number or something a dealership would know, drop me a PM.

JK Build Thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/3...-build-545214/
TJ Tub Trailerhttp://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f104/...tj-tub-568873/
BRICKTOP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2008, 07:12 PM   #159
iamrone
2007 MK Compass 

Just installed a set of 235/65R/17 Fuzion XTi

http://www.thefuzionzone.com/xti.asp

Pounded through the remains of a fresh winter storm here in Southern Ontario for 300 or so KMs today, totally impressed. Much quieter than my stock Wrangler SR-A and offered better handling in the white stuff. No rubbing to speak of, speedo is about 3 Km/h slow.

Keep you posted.

Aaron
iamrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2009, 03:36 PM   #160
Rall-E
2008 MK Compass 

so how much of a wheel spacer would be needed for a 9 or 10 inch wide tire that is 30 or 31 inches tall? would 1/2 inch be enough to get you away from the coil? With or without the lift.
Rall-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2009, 11:40 AM   #161
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I've gotten several pm's lately asking for help in picking out the ideal tire.

First watch out for how many email that you have in your basket. Those that have the free membership are limited to just 5 emails and if you've reached your limit I can't respond to your questions. An easy fix is to upgrade your account or keep your mailbox cleaned out.

Next, they're is no perfect tire for all occasions. Whether it's snow, sand or mud you need to determine if you want to ride on top of it or dig down into it and that will be based on how soft or firm it is. Tread pattern is more important than height or width but I am a firm believer in not going too tall and killing your bottom end. My preference is to get as close to a 28" tire in the appropriate tread pattern as you can. Remember too that knobby tires are usually kinda noisy on the pavement but poor street tires can be just as bad.

If you're running in rocky terrain, loose shale or some combination of the different surfaces you'll have different priorities in selecting tires.

They do make special Snow and Ice tires which are also a great improvement over even All Season tires in those conditions but they also have a different rubber compound that makes them wear out more quickly when running them as a summer tire. There is no really great tire for running on ice other than studs or chains but the Snow and Ice tires will help.

A little story of two completely different tires doing the same job equally as well, running in the washs (dry river beds) in S. AZ.

A nearly stock '30 Ford Model A with 4.75 X 19" stock tires. Running down into the washs and back out was no problem. One day in one of my little escapes I passed a dummy with a pre '70 'Vette with huge street tires digging a hole in the sand but going no where really fast. That was a good laugh!

A typical VW powered rail dune buggy with monster flotation tires that would also just cruise every where we wanted it to, up and down the banks as long as it wasn't too steep.

For a good off-road machine I do recommend getting some 16" wheels from a Patriot or something else that fits. With the availability of different sizes and tread patterns I feel that you should be able to find something that's right for needs. The 17" wheels also have a pretty good selection too but the 18" are really limited because most of the offerings are just to tall for our torque curve and fitment in the wheel wells.

Right now I have Kumho 235/60R18's. They are a pretty good tire in the snow after you get some miles on them to get the molding chemicals run out. They also appear to be wearing like iron and the noise and ride is much, much better than the original Firehawks. When they wear out I will be going to my Patriot wheels and running Pirelli 225/70R16 ATR's.

I have Firestone Destinations A/T's on the wife's GC and she loves them. I put Dunlop Rover RVXT's on the Daughters Libby and she likes them too. In both cases their previous tires were well worn out and anything may have seemed like an improvement. There are others in our group that are running the Destinations on a 17" wheel and seem to like them also.

You may want to check with your local tire dealers, Sears, Wards, etc for a private label or local tire. You can find some good buys there too.

Really sorry that this got so long winded!
Happy hunting!

Unread 02-16-2009, 07:20 AM   #162
wil3284
1993 YJ Wrangler 

yeah i definitely wish that the 18s could get a more aggressive tire but i cant find anything for it

You tube vid of my wrangler finally running
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNA8LeAjalk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLlqF71WLXw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RNu9lTwKxE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzq2FBCs4qU

need reptiles?
www.razorsharpreptiles.com

www.militaryjeepers.com
wil3284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2009, 10:41 AM   #163
plunderisley

Compass tire options for winter and sizes?

I have a 07 Compass Limited USA version 4x2 and brought it out to Europe. It started snowing and the all year tires aren't the best. I wanted to get winter, but finding 215/55/18 are impossible. Actually any 18" are very expensive here. Is 16" a option? If so, what size would I get? I would need a new rim also, so what size (I think screw spacing and sizes play a role, but not too sure)?
I also got TPMS on it. From what I read, it should be able to swap it to the new rims if I got them, correct?

Thanks
plunderisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2009, 05:54 PM   #164
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

If you could find some Patriot 16" rims that would be ideal. If you need to find an aftermarket wheel they are a 1/2" (13mm) hole diameter, 5 on 4 1/2" (114mm) pattern with a 4.7" (120mm) backspacing or 42mm - 45mm offset depending on the terminology the manufature uses. The sensors will fit the Patriot rims and they should fit the aftermarket but you'll need to double check with the manufacturer.

Tires, now it's easy to find something that you like and that's affordable. You can go back to post #76 on page 6 of this thread and check the sizes available. There is a very good selection of tires in the 215/65R16 and my favorite is the Pirelli Ice and snow that's a 215/70R16.

I don't know if you can get in to the TireRack from where you are but if you can, select "tires by size" put in the sizes I've mentioned (or others), check "winter tires" and you'll see all of the brands available here in the US. There may also be some local brands that are a good deal.

Unread 02-20-2009, 12:13 AM   #165
plunderisley

So 16" would work on the Compass with no issues with the brakes? If so, then this just might be doable out here....
plunderisley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
18" tires , compass , patriot , tires , wheels

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.