Optional tires/wheels for MK's (pg 6 for sizes) - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Optional tires/wheels for MK's (pg 6 for sizes)

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-07-2008, 04:34 PM   #136
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

New tire choice available for you 215/55/r18 guys

Gents, I had to replace the horrible Firestones on my Caliber two weeks ago. If any of you have ever looked on Tire Rack, you've seen the wonderful quality stuff that's available in that size. </sarcasm> Anyway, there's finally a new choice available in the way of some Yokohama Avid TRZs in 215/55/R18 form. They're a touring tire and are supposed to wear better I think. So far, I am in love with them, the ride is better and they're quieter! No rain or snow (obviously...) driving in them yet, but I like them better than the Firehawks when they were new. As an FYI, I AM NEVER buying another Firestone POS after those things... My A/Ts on my Wrangler are quieter than them things, not to mention that ALL 4 were cupped... And No, I do not work with Yokohama OR Tire Rack. Final FYI, its a touring tire, so...

Unread 07-11-2008, 01:49 PM   #137
cuemark8
2007 MK Compass 

Tire choices

This is the first I posted since getting my new tires. Tire rack is a great place to shop, prices are all but impossible to beat. They also know their products. Anyhow, ifthey is a very limited amount of tires available in the 215/55/18. If you don't mind to change size there are many other choices in a 225/55/18 or even a 225/60/18 in you want to go bigger.
Gramps should take a look at this and move it the tire/wheel thread from previous posts. To CoroilisSTROm, go there and read the posts it's very informative.
The Firestones are junk they are so noisy and mine also cupped. I just installed Michelin Primacy MXV4 in a 225/60/18 they are a grand touring tire. Just awesome so far! So smooth and quiet. Knowing that the speedometer and odometer are off slightly due to the size increase I haven't noticed a change in MPG and they fit just fine.
I like the Compass a will always by American made vehicles but it is frustrating how much they nickle and dime and cut corners. That Firestone tire is crap. The price is cheap compared to even other tires in the same size. It's seems Chrysler brokers the cheapest price possible for tires, to bad the quality suffers as a result. The Firestones compared to the Michelin tire I just bought, it doesn't seem like there could be a wider difference in quality. It's as clear as night and day the difference between these tires.
Anyone with the 18" rims a tires should think about changing tires, you don't realize how bad they actually are! I think everyone should also complain to Chrysler. If Chrysler values quality and safety, you would think they would have wrapped the Compass and Patriot SUV's in something other than Firestone tires. Firestone tires ans SUV's don't seem to mix.
cuemark8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2008, 02:31 PM   #138
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Firestone tires and SUVs don't match
To quote my beloved Wolfgang in my avatar, "Oh Snap!"
Unread 07-11-2008, 03:55 PM   #139
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

It's nice to hear that there is a GOOD option on the original size! Not all 'stones are bad but the Firehawk definitely is!!

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2008, 07:27 AM   #140
PirateKatz

How many wheel/tire options are there for the Compass from the factory? Are they dependent on model (ie, Sport vs. Limited) or are they a separate package?

If I recall, my Sport (2008) has 215/65-17 Goodyear Wrangler SR-A. Are these considered lower rung than the Firestones, since they're on the Sport? How do people generally feel about the Wranglers? Even though they get thoroughly trashed on the reviews at tirerack.com, I've been very happy with them. They might be a little loud on the highway but I've never had a car that handled so well in the snow.
PirateKatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2008, 02:42 PM   #141
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Compass:

The Sports standard tires were P215/60R17 Firestone Affinity- haven't heard any complaints on these.

Optional on the Sport were P215/65R17 Goodyear Wrangler SR-A - not a bad tire when new but as the tread wears down to about 4/32" can get a bit squirrely in rain and snow.

Optional on the Sport w/Rallye package and Standard on all Limiteds were the dreaded P215/55R18 Firestone Firehawks.

Patriot:

Standard on the Sport are P205/70R16 Goodyear Eagles - no feedback.

Standard on the Limited were the P215/60R17 Firestone Affinity - see above.

Optional on all were the P215/65R17 Goodyear Wrangler SR-A - see above.

Unread 07-12-2008, 03:34 PM   #142
PirateKatz

Thanks for the info!
PirateKatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2008, 07:42 PM   #143
Elihawk
2008 MK Compass 

Tires

Okay, my 08 Compass is only at 5K miles, so tire rotation #1 is the concern of the day. However, since the Firehawk tires aren't built for long life, are small and don't fill the tire wells and the Compass sits pretty low...what tires would you recommend that might solve these issues? Good tire that will last 50K, fills some of the gap in the tire wells and has the compass "up" abit...

I would appreciate any imput and those of you who have crossed this bridge, photos of your solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Elihawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2008, 08:06 PM   #144
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

It really depends on your driving conditions. Go back to page 6 and have a look.

Unread 09-01-2008, 11:36 AM   #145
ponderosa
2007 MK Compass 

Michelin Primacy MXV4 225/60 18"

Michelin Primacy MXV4 225/60 18" was my choice with the stock wheel. Its not for off road use but gravel roads should be fine. I really hate having to work on anything anymore so hopefully I will sell the car with these tires!

The car drives a lot nicer, it sits a little higher and looks good.

John D.
ponderosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2008, 04:12 AM   #146
Tony1911
2007 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
17”

225/70R17” – 29.4" - Excellent selection Max
Has anyone actually tried these? This is a tire size I am interested in, but the overall diameter does sound rather big, assuming stock wheels and no spacers (which would be the whole point for going with 17" tires in the first place ).
Tony1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2008, 06:31 AM   #147
Argent33
2014 JK Wrangler 

Anyone tried the Pirelli Scorpion A/T's? I see they offer them in 235/60/18 and are listed as an On/Off-Road All Terrain

(also would going up to that size mean I need to get my Compass re-flashed with new tire cals?)

-[O l l l l l l l O]- 2014 Freedom Edition JKU - Hydro Blue 6-Spd
Argent33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2008, 05:07 PM   #148
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The dealer can only re-flash for up to the 28" Goodyear's that are optional on the Patriots. I had it done on mine just because they were only going to charge me less than $30 with the other stuff that I was having done. When the speedo reads 60 I'm really doing about 63/64.

I considered the Pirelli Scorpian A/T, just went cheaper because I was "testing" and I don't really have an endless supply of money.

Unread 10-31-2008, 06:55 AM   #149
Argent33
2014 JK Wrangler 

Hmmm

oh well - my firestones haven't died yet so I've got a while to hope maybe a better solution will come along

-[O l l l l l l l O]- 2014 Freedom Edition JKU - Hydro Blue 6-Spd
Argent33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2008, 03:00 PM   #150
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

225/55-18 have some nice options and only about 27.8" tall. The Tire Rack.

Tags
18" tires , compass , patriot , tires , wheels

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.