Optimum tire pressure in winter conditions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Optimum tire pressure in winter conditions

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 01-12-2013, 06:24 AM   #1
pobednik18
2008 MK Compass 

Optimum tire pressure in winter conditions

Hi guys, I`m interested in tire pressure which should I use on my 235/60/R18 tires on Compass Rallye. Since it is winter time, what pressure do you suggest. Tires are Bridgestone Blizzak (snowflake and mountain symbol), medium worn, but still do some work when needed.

Some time ago I felt that front left tire is underinflated in comparison to others, so I went to gas station to inflate it, and guy that works there, inflated all 4 tires to 2,4 bar, which I consider too much. Can you give me you suggestions?

pobednik18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 07:20 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I had to find out what a 'BAR" was, not a common term to me. 1 BAR = 14.5 psi or 100 kPa. or in your case that's 34.8 psi and I run mine at 35 psi. It really sounds like you're in the ball park. The Max pressure for your tires is 50 psi but you don't want to run that, or down to around 28 psi either.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 09:27 AM   #3
pobednik18
2008 MK Compass 

BAR is pretty conventional unit in Europe, in metric units system, for measuring tire pressure, but I forgot to transfer it in PSI for you, who are used to imperial units.

Are you sure about this pressure, because, I consider it normal in summer times, but as I`ve read somewhere here, during winter, you should deflate tires a little. Or I misunderstood it and mixed with suggestions for off-road driving?

Thanks
Unread 01-12-2013, 11:05 AM   #4
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

The tires naturally deflate due to colder air. When winter time rolls around, you will need to put more air in them in order to bring it back up to 2.4 bar/35 psi. Ive had to put air in mine several times since summer as the temps have dipped from 100F/40C down to 32F/0C. The target is 35 psi when cold. So I want them at that first thing in the morning before driving.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 02:07 PM   #5
pobednik18
2008 MK Compass 

I`ve used to inflate tires with nitrogen this summer, as I heard that it is less temperature "unstable" (inflates and deflates related to temperature oscilations are less) than regular air and has some more advantages over regular air.
What are you opinions on this topic?
Unread 01-12-2013, 03:43 PM   #6
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

All that Nitrogen stuff is true.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 07:08 AM   #7
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Yes, Nitrogen is better than air, IF you have it readily available, use it. http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...stions/4302788

The 50 psi max (3.45 bar) is from the tire manufacturer for the Blizzak DM-V1, the only one of the Blizzak available in the US that I could find. That is NOT a recommended pressure, just a maximum. The TPMS would be set off to tell you of low tire pressure at about 28 psi (1.93 bar). You can vary the pressure for ride comfort but if you get to low you'll also run into side wall under-inflation and it could affect the cornering significantly.

Bridgestone's description of this tire:

The Blizzak DM-V1 is Bridgestone''s Light Truck/SUV Studless Ice & Snow winter tire developed for the drivers of pickup, crossover and sport utility vehicles looking to combine grip in snow and on ice with reassuring handling on wet roads and in slush. The Blizzak DM-V1 is designed with a focus on ice traction and braking, as well as wet road handling and hydroplaning resistance to provide wintertime driving competence.

The Blizzak DM-V1 uses Bridgestone''s Multicell Z compound featuring microscopic bubbles and tubes to absorb the thin film of water that forms as tires run over packed snow and ice, while micro bite particles contribute to the edge effect that improves grip on packed snow and icy surfaces. Other compound improvements include the addition of a special polymer that improves silica dispersion to increase wet grip in chilly temperatures by suppressing the influence temperatures have on rubber hardness.

The Blizzak DM-V1 directional tread pattern features low void to increase contact area on the road. Groove distribution has been optimized with four straight grooves to assure efficient water evacuation while two center grooves criss-cross to improve drainage and offer strong edge effect at all angles, giving higher snow and wet performance with better grip in all directions. The Blizzak DM-V1 also incorporates advanced 3D Wash Board Z Sipe technology that increases both block stiffness for handling in the dry and increases the biting edge effect on frozen surfaces.

The Blizzak DM-V1 radial meets the industry''s severe snow service requirements and is branded with the mountain/snowflake symbol.

NOTE: The first 55% of the Blizzak DM-V1 tread depth features the Multicell Z Compound while the remaining 45% features a standard winter tire compound. When the Blizzak DM-V1 is approximately 50 percent worn, a depth indicator molded into the tread design lets the driver know that the remaining tread is reaching the end of its ability to provide beneficial snow traction.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 09:48 PM   #8
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobednik18 View Post
I`ve used to inflate tires with nitrogen this summer, as I heard that it is less temperature "unstable" (inflates and deflates related to temperature oscilations are less) than regular air and has some more advantages over regular air.
What are you opinions on this topic?
Not really and the nitrogen from those places is far from pure,most are about 90%-92% nitrogen when the regular air is 78% nitrogen.Unless your doing high speed runs for long periods,that is 150+mph,there is no need for nitrogen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FujativeOCR View Post
All that Nitrogen stuff is true.
For racing apps yes,normal daily driving not so much.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.