Opinions on the manual transmisson - Merged - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Opinions on the manual transmisson - Merged

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-10-2007, 09:40 PM   #1
JeepNorth
2007 JK Wrangler 

5-speed transmission information

Saw you were asking about the manual tranny.

Was really rough for 2 weeks as it settled in and learned my driving style. I am also not used to driving part time 4wd. But has been great. Lots of power, and I have to be carefull around the turns, not used to larger tires.

Maybe someone knows.... Are all the power window switches supposed to light up or just the drivers when you turn on running lights.

JeepNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2007, 06:10 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepNorth
Saw you were asking about the manual tranny.

Was really rough for 2 weeks as it settled in and learned my driving style. I am also not used to driving part time 4wd. But has been great. Lots of power, and I have to be carefull around the turns, not used to larger tires.

Maybe someone knows.... Are all the power window switches supposed to light up or just the drivers when you turn on running lights.
Thanks!

Here's a link to the window switch lights.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/problem-lights-window-switches-320866/

In a nut shell; only the drivers panel, drivers window switch has a light and it should work on all light positions except day time running lights.

You could have titled this thread "5 Speed driving impressions". A lot people are wondering about how well it drives. How's the passing speeds, hill climbing, shifter height and smoothness. Comox, is that the one by Vancouver? How much snow and what are your driving conditions like? Did you drive a CVT and are you able to compare the differences? How's your mileage? Inquiring minds want to know. From doing a inventory search on the Patriots there appear to be a lot more of the 5 speeds showing up on them than there was on the Compass. We have lots of impressions on the CVT but very little on the 5 speed and others will want to know what to expect. Whatever you can tell us I'm sure would be beneficial.

A note for those who need to know: the SEARCH feature is working again, they added a new server. If you can't find what you're looking for don't hesitate to ask either, someone is bound to help and others may have the same question, too.

Some off the threads have been "hi-jacked" and ran off into other topics that you may be looking for, I see it as just the nature of the forum "bench racing" type sites and while it may be a little cumbersome at times it helps to keep information rolling, that's a good thing! Using the "search" feature may help you find just what you're looking for.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick

Last edited by Gramps; 02-11-2007 at 07:09 AM..
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2007, 01:05 PM   #3
JeepNorth
2007 JK Wrangler 

Ok, I haven't done much highway driving with it so I will do some investigation and testing and write a new thread... probably next weekend as I am going to Naniamo.

Yes my Comox is on Vancouver Island, about half way up in the east side.
Unread 02-11-2007, 01:30 PM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepNorth
Ok, I haven't done much highway driving with it so I will do some investigation and testing and write a new thread... probably next weekend as I am going to Naniamo.

Yes my Comox is on Vancouver Island, about half way up in the east side.
Cool My mileage varies a couple mpg between summer and winter. Right now I seem to be getting about 22 mpg or so but today's the first day it's been above zero for the whole day in quite a while. You may want to just keep the thread running and give us up dates from time to time, especially if there is something that you find is a "difference of interest" to all.

Unread 02-14-2007, 07:22 AM   #5
iamrone
2007 MK Compass 

I own a 4x4 5 speed (about 2 months now) and have driven the CVT 4x2 and the R/T Caliber.

My first impression was that the shifter was in an odd place, but it's actually ergo correct and quite comfortable.

I second that the tranny felt a little rough for about 1 to 2 weeks, nothing out of the ordinary here. I def notice a difference between this tranny and my '02 Celica (my trade in)... this is to be expected, but I know I'm NOT driving a little sports car now..lol The whole shifting process is akin to my Dad's Tundra, certainly a truck feel.

I chose the manual tranny b/c my last 5 vehicles have been manual... and the money saved afforded me a few luxuries for the Jeep.

Off the line vs. the CVT acceleration is improved. I actually find it to have quite a bit of pick up! Not sure I see a need for a V6. Passing is decent, though this is no Celica

We've been getting dumped on as of late and have a good couple feet of snow. It is sure footed and the ESP is really quite something. I don't find the 5spd hampers my snow driving at all, though it requires thought. Gearing down is of course a nice option when coming to a stop. I haven't had to start in a higher gear though due to impressive performance by the ESP. It's almost embarassing pullling off the line aside a run of the mill sedan... this thing just WALKS away!

The only real gripe I have is that it's not a 6spd. Had a chance to drive a new Wrangler with the 6spd and it's fantastic. On the highway, I'm looking for an extra gear by the time I hit 120 km/h. Otherwise, very happy with my purchase/choice!

p.s. perhaps the mods could retitle this thread?
iamrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2007, 07:49 AM   #6
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

iamrone

THANKS very muck for that feed back! I'm sure that there are many waiting for that kind of info on the 5 speed.

I'm not really sure what the Mods can do, I'll check with Administration. We could also use having some of the treads combined for ease of searching. Us Compass owners, being still new to these kinds of forums, kinda get off track and start new threads before we look around. I really haven't been on board all that long but the Compass section was less than a page back then and I've been able to remember pretty well what thread ran into what information. Just lucky I guess.

Revised.
Ask and ye shall receive! Thanks for the title change Vance!

Last edited by Gramps; 02-14-2007 at 07:17 PM..
Unread 02-20-2007, 12:44 PM   #7
JeepNorth
2007 JK Wrangler 

Opinions on the manual transmisson - Merged

Well, I went to Nanaimo this weekend to get a feel for the Jeep on the highway as well as a more dense urban setting.

The transmission shifts cleanly but it feels like your shifting through a bag of rocks (my words). It never misses a shift nor does it seem that there is something wrong.

Acceleration is slightly less than what you would get out of a car, but with the extra weight applied as a compact SUV what do you expect. Passing ability is good as well, hell, it's a 5spd, you have lots of control over it. It never sounded like I was over-reving the engine or that it was going to fly apart.

Cruise control is a dream, with an electronic throttlebody, it maintains the desired speed, even down slight grades. Really annoyed people when I passed them on cruise and they would accelerated around me because they wanted to be in front. (Always in a rush.)

Pickup from stop was comparable to cars (my Neon R/T, 150hp). A non-pressed but quick start for 0-60km/h was about 7 sec and 0-100 in about 15. I did not redline the engine to see what it could really do, only 4500-5000rpm shifts.

2nd gear gives a lot of power and I would ocassionaly find myself very close to the person in front of me after having stopped. I find the gear ranges adequate for this vehicle. A nice blend of power and torque, to even things out. Going up hills is phenominal, it find it equal to or better than my Neon.

Got fuel consumption to about 9.3l/100km or 25mpg and it was windy and raining too and that was even after driving city streets in Nanaimo before coming home.
Unread 02-21-2007, 07:55 PM   #8
JOJOJEEP
2009 KK Liberty 

I traded a 05 Matrix stick shift in for my Limited Compass stick. I did not like the CVT I test drove last Summer and told the dealer to call when he had a stick, he did at Christmas and I bought it. It is has a lower torque than the Matrix (1.8L). It took a bit of getting used to the Jeep's ratio, but after a couple months of driving it, I love it. First gear annoys me sometimes, it's a lot lower than the Matrix, and because of the lack of road noise (compared to the Matrix), I sometimes forget to shift from 3rd to 4th. I also find myself shifting into 5th sooner than the Matrix, like on high speed (over 45-50mph) main roads, whereas I would've been in 4th in the Matrix. No offense to the CVT, it's a matter of taste, but the only way I was buying my Compass was with a stick. I like the lower gear ratio driving through the snow and down hilly roads, but I feel like at high speeds it's effecting my mpg. But the lack of control I felt with the CVT that I get back with the manual makes me glad I have it. Maybe the Limited with the autostick would be nice, I didn't test drive that.
JOJOJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2007, 10:19 PM   #9
hotch39

problem or just cold?

I've gotten good power out of 2nd gear too.

One thing that's been happening is when the car is first started up the RPMs will drop when I tap the accelerator. It sounds like it's about to stall and then, vrooooom, it revs up. It goes away once I let it warm up a minute, but I've never had this happen with a car before. Is it simply an issue of letting it warm up or is this is indicative of some other potential problem?
hotch39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2007, 07:10 AM   #10
unibus
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotch39

One thing that's been happening is when the car is first started up the RPMs will drop when I tap the accelerator. It sounds like it's about to stall and then, vrooooom, it revs up. It goes away once I let it warm up a minute, but I've never had this happen with a car before. Is it simply an issue of letting it warm up or is this is indicative of some other potential problem?

I have had this happen to me also.... It only happens once then all is well. It was happening to me about once a week but it slowly went away and hasn't happened in quite awhile. I had the dealer check it out but he said the computer had no codes set and he couldn't catch it doing it.

I would have thought the dealer would have checked the sensor connections and just generally looked things over, but it seems at my dealer that they don't want to do anything unless the computer tells them what's wrong.
unibus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2007, 07:48 PM   #11
hotch39

Thanks, Uni.
Update - for the past several days, the problem I had described has been slowly going away. This evening, after having sat for 12 hours in the cold, it didn't do it at all.
Weird. I'll post back if it starts up again.
hotch39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.