JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Compass & Patriot Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/)
-   -   Oil Filter Access (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/oil-filter-access-585733/)

the mad hatter 07-23-2008 11:40 AM

Oil Filter Access

Okay this may be the most noobish question ever...

2007 Patriot Ltd.

What is the best way to access the oil filter? I can't even seem to see it from the wheel well/underneath the vehicle.

Thanks.

schoat333 07-23-2008 11:51 AM

there is a hole cut in the bottom plastic, Or skid plate if you have it. Its on the side of the engine, under the intake manifold. (front of vehicle)

the mad hatter 07-23-2008 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schoat333 (Post 5485493)
there is a hole cut in the bottom plastic, Or skid plate if you have it. Its on the side of the engine, under the intake manifold. (front of vehicle)

Thanks. I saw the hole for the drain plug. So there is another hole for the filter?

Elihawk 07-23-2008 12:01 PM

I have a Compass, but I assume the access is the same...directly in "front" of the oil pan and perhaps the easiest Oil filter I have ever had to access/change. I think even Jiffy Lube could get this one right...:)

Argent33 07-23-2008 12:37 PM

Hmm do you have the Trail Rated Patriot?

if so you might need to remove the skid plate to get to the oil filter

either way it should be right on the front side of the block - I just changed my Compass oil and it was really easy to find.

the mad hatter 07-23-2008 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Argent33 (Post 5485689)
Hmm do you have the Trail Rated Patriot?

if so you might need to remove the skid plate to get to the oil filter

either way it should be right on the front side of the block - I just changed my Compass oil and it was really easy to find.

I don't think it's the trail rated one...there's no badge saying so anyways.

When you guys are saying 'front'. Are you referring to the actual front of the vehicle, or the theoretical front of the engine where the belts are?

schoat333 07-23-2008 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the mad hatter (Post 5485729)
I don't think it's the trail rated one...there's no badge saying so anyways.

When you guys are saying 'front'. Are you referring to the actual front of the vehicle, or the theoretical front of the engine where the belts are?

The patriot's engine is tranverse mounted so the front of the engine is technically on the passenger side. In the case of the oil filter we are refering to the front of the patriot itself.

The oil pan hangs down quite a bit lower than the filter so youll have to get underneith the patriot and look up thru the hole to see it.

Hope this helps.

the mad hatter 07-23-2008 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schoat333 (Post 5486102)
The patriot's engine is tranverse mounted so the front of the engine is technically on the passenger side. In the case of the oil filter we are refering to the front of the patriot itself.

The oil pan hangs down quite a bit lower than the filter so youll have to get underneith the patriot and look up thru the hole to see it.

Hope this helps.

Gotcha...that would explain why I never saw it. I kept looking towards the passenger side of the engine...not the front of the vehicle.

Thanks for your help!

The time now is 06:10 PM.