Oil Change Required ...way too early. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Oil Change Required ...way too early.

Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockRubicon express discounts from oconee off-roadRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 10-28-2012, 05:14 PM   #1
Grhome
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Oil Change Required ...way too early.

After only about 1000 miles since the last change...the "oil change required" illuminates on every startup.

Any ideas what might cause such an early indication?

Should I change the oil again? After only 1000ish miles...

Or should I try to reset the indicator (gas pedal 3 times) first and see if the message comes back quickly?

Advice?

Thanks

Grhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2012, 05:51 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Your oil change light comes on based on driving conditions(idle time,temps,and such).If you reset the light on the last oil change then yes it would be wise to change it again even only after 1000 miles.

I know on most vehicles if 4wd(if it has it,AWD also) is used often that factors into the light coming on faster,even in vehicles like the the compass/patriot where the 4wd is automatic(FWD with RW assist).If you have the FDII and have it in "low" that will make the light come on faster also.
Unread 10-28-2012, 06:07 PM   #3
Grhome
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I recognize that the oil indicator is based on driving conditions. Which makes my situation even more peculiar. There was nothing out of the ordinary concerning the driving conditions. Just run of the mill, to and from work. A little highway, a little city. Did not use the 4WD. And did not spend anytime in "low" or "off road." Nothing new or different.
Unread 10-28-2012, 06:43 PM   #4
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grhome View Post
I recognize that the oil indicator is based on driving conditions. Which makes my situation even more peculiar. There was nothing out of the ordinary concerning the driving conditions. Just run of the mill, to and from work. A little highway, a little city. Did not use the 4WD. And did not spend anytime in "low" or "off road." Nothing new or different.
Can't say for your neck of the woods but here the temps have taken a nose dive.About a week ago we were in the 80's and then to highs of mid-30's.
Unread 10-28-2012, 08:53 PM   #5
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Sounds silly, but make sure there is oil in it. Sometimes shops forget to refill.

Also most oil change indicators are set to go off in certain intervals anyway. Maybe whoever changed the oil forgot to reset it last time around.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 09:54 AM   #6
goobie1
2011 MK Patriot 

If the light comes on based on conditions then why does mine come on at the same interval regardless of the conditions? Every 4000 miles, winter or summer,below zero for months or 90 degrees for months, every 4000 miles. The printed service schedule says to change it every 8000 miles. My Honda does the same thing - its light comes on every 7500 miles regardless. Easy driving or hard driving it doesn't make any difference when the lights come on. My Toyota doesn't have a light, but their service schedule says to change at 5000 or 10,000 based on if you use regular oil or synthetic. Had a BMW with the same type system & it wouldn't indicate servicing for like 20,000 miles. I just use synthetic & don't worry about it.
goobie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 08:19 PM   #7
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobie1 View Post
If the light comes on based on conditions then why does mine come on at the same interval regardless of the conditions? Every 4000 miles, winter or summer,below zero for months or 90 degrees for months, every 4000 miles. The printed service schedule says to change it every 8000 miles. My Honda does the same thing - its light comes on every 7500 miles regardless. Easy driving or hard driving it doesn't make any difference when the lights come on. My Toyota doesn't have a light, but their service schedule says to change at 5000 or 10,000 based on if you use regular oil or synthetic. Had a BMW with the same type system & it wouldn't indicate servicing for like 20,000 miles. I just use synthetic & don't worry about it.
There are 2 systems,one you can change the interval,and the other you can not.The one you can change is a service reminder and not a oil chnage indicator.

Some vehicles will turn the light on after a set time and mileage as there is a max mileage and time.So if you are required to change the oil every 8k there is also a time limit which is 6 months so the light can come on if you hit the time limit but not mileage or the conditions driven in.
Unread 10-29-2012, 10:41 PM   #8
Grhome
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Well I checked the fluid level just to be sure. The level is fine and the oil looks brand new.

So, again 1) barely 1000 miles last change and 2) less than a month since last change and 3) no strange driving conditions since last change.

Is it possible that the way the computer/sensor works that the shop didn't bother to reset the system? So now the computer THINKS it has gone way too many miles without a change even though the oil is clean? Could it work that way?
Unread 10-30-2012, 04:26 AM   #9
WingedScapula
2009 MK Compass 

Quote:
Is it possible that the way the computer/sensor works that the shop didn't bother to reset the system? So now the computer THINKS it has gone way too many miles without a change even though the oil is clean? Could it work that way?
It's always a possibility. I had something similar happen to me once, and I figured that was what happened.
WingedScapula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2012, 07:19 AM   #10
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Yeah i bet they just didnt reset it and the car thinks you are at 4,000 miles
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2012, 09:11 AM   #11
Grhome
2001 TJ Wrangler 

This evening I'm going to reset the system with the 3x gas pedal method and call it fixed. If the the indicator comes back on relatively soon then I'll know I have an issue. Hopefully, this solves it and the indicator stays off.
Unread 10-30-2012, 12:50 PM   #12
jacko15
2014 WK 

Quote:
This evening I'm going to reset the system with the 3x gas pedal method and call it fixed. If the the indicator comes back on relatively soon then I'll know I have an issue. Hopefully, this solves it and the indicator stays off.
That's what I do almost every time I have the oil changed at the dealer. They rarely reset it. It's my wife's Compass, and she wants the dealer to do all service, so who am I to complain. The only time they do reset it is if she reminds them to do it. Not a problem because it's so simple to do.
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.