Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Oil change indicator

26K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  elfamiglia 
#1 ·
Hello all;
Does anyone have insight about how the oil change indicator in the dash works? Mine lit up already and my Patriot is only 2 1/2 months old with 2,500 miles. The manual says the indicator is "duty based" and affected by driving style. I'm a gentle driver and change the oil in my other vehicles every six months. What gives?
Thanks

#2 ·
cant say specifically for the patriot but cadillacs oil change monitor bases it on miles, temps, stop and go, speed, how hard you drive it, stuff like that. I would think the patriots monitors the same stuff.

so it might go 4500 miles if its mostly highway driving and 2000 miles if its a lot of city driving. highway miles are kind to oil as any moisture/fuel byproducts in the oil "burn" off. short trips are harsh to oil as moisture/blowby products just collects as the oil never gets and stays hot enough for it to evaporate or "burn" off.

those in the know will chime in with more accurate info though.

#3 ·
Keep it simple:
1. If it lights up, check the oil. That's what it's for :)
2. "A new engine may consume some oil during its first few thousand miles (kilometers) of operation" --- Compass manual, page 39.
So you can't compare it with your other vehicles... yet.

#4 ·
If you change your own oil, this is what you do.

Engine Oil Change Indicator System
Oil Change Required
Your vehicle is equipped with an engine oil change indicator system. The “Oil Change Required” message will flash in the EVIC display for approximately 10 seconds after a single chime has sounded to indicate the next scheduled oil change interval. The engine oil change indicator system is duty cycle based, which means the engine oil change interval may fluctuate dependent upon your personal driving style.

Unless reset, this message will continue to display each time you turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position. To turn off the message temporarily, press and release the Trip Odometer button on the instrument cluster. To reset the oil change indicator system (after performing the scheduled maintenance) refer to the following procedure.

1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position (Do not start the engine).
2. Fully depress the accelerator pedal slowly three times within 10 seconds.
3. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF/LOCK position.

NOTE: If the indicator message illuminates when you start the vehicle, the oil change indicator system did not reset. If necessary repeat this procedure.

#6 ·
So do all MKs have the oil monitor system? Was this a running production change? There is not any mention of it my owners manual- just the standard service interval tables.
its in there. can't remember what page though.

my '93 (and '89) BMW had it lol

#7 ·
It's in the 2008 Patriot Owners Manual, pg 178, and the 2008 Compass Owners manual, pg 172. It is not a feature on the 2007 Compass and I don't know the date change. There is no 2007 Patriot Owners Manual on line so I can't check that one out. It's under "Understanding Your Instrument Panel".

#8 ·
I don't think my Caliber has that... I think it was a change... Too bad they STILL didn't do the washer fluid level!

#10 ·
man folks today are spoiled.. back in the day we just waited till the engine started making noises like a diesel.. THEN we changed the oil.

BTW our 07 patriot doesnt have an oil change monitor either, manual just says every 3 months/3000 miles.

wonder if it could be added if you have EVIC, Im wondering if its just a software algorithm.

#12 ·
I went 10,000 past on my Wrangler 2.5L one time. :eek: It was fine though, still runs good at 78,000 miles! (Again, happy 10th b-day baby!)

#13 ·
When yer lifters start clackin' it means that yer down two quarts. They either burned off or leaked out. Time to put some more in but while yer at it ya' might just as well change it, it's only a couple more quarts and a filter!

When ya' go to use the windshield washer and it don't squirt, it's frozen or empty! Thaw 'er out or fill 'er up fer the next time.

#14 ·
Patriot 2008 oil change & powertrain warranty

Hey all - I've got a basic question many of you may roll your eyes at, but bear with me here...:rolleyes:
I got a Jeep Patriot 2008 model last November (of 2007) and it's been great - just what I wanted out of it. It also comes with this "lifetime powertrain warranty" if you follow the scheduled maintenance in the manual. The first scheduled maintenance in the manual is at 6,000 miles, where you get the oil changed, tires rotated, so forth. Here's my (paranoid) question:

I traded in a Jeep Cherokee 1994 Sport that I got new in...well...1994. I put over 250,000 miles on the Jeep (actually more like 280k), changed the oil every 3,000 miles the entire time I had it, and never had to replace the engine, transmission, or any major engine components (I did replace the rear bumper 4 times - apparently other drivers have a hard time seeing a big, "flame red" jeep they're coming up on too fast!). Point: I've always lived by changing the oil every 3,000 miles and it's worked out quite well for me.

The manual has the oil changes at 6,000 miles and these new-fangldy vehicles have the oil sensors and whatnot. I plan on keeping the Patriot for 13 or 14 years, just like the Cherokee, so should I be changing oil every 3k or just sticking with the manual at 6k? I do a mix of highway and city driving, but I never really encounter "traffic jams" where I'm stuck idling for a while. I'm not off-road with it so much but I do use it to haul landscaping supplies on occasion (cleans up very nicely, I've found).

Anyway, I'm taking it from the posts on this thread that if the change oil light hasn't come on (it hasn't) and I haven't hit the 6,000 mile oil change interval from the manual then I'm ok. I'm a real stickler for maintenance, and slightly paranoid with it being brand new, so I figured I'd run this by the pros on the forum here. Thanks for entertaining the question! :bowdown:

#15 ·
The '07 manual calls for 2 different schedules, one for 3K the other for 6K depending on the service. I'll need to look at the '08 manual to see if there is anything on that. I have been changing mine religiously every 3K but I'll be switching to synthetic soon and following the oil manufacturers recommendation and using their warranty.

#16 ·
Oil, oil...

Thanks for the update. The part of the manual I was referring to is the actual part where you get the mechanic to sign under the scheduled service. :rtft: So I'm thinking surely they'd want you to change it every 3k if they're going to give a lifetime warranty on the powertrain. Then again, I dunno what the change oil light sensor on this one does exactly. Thx for taking a look at this...

#17 ·
'07 Compass Oil Change Indicator 'Inop'....

ever since i got this car, my oil change indicator has been 'on' constantly. every time i get behind the wheel, there it is....staring me in the face. i've tried numerous buttons, switches, combinations of buttons and switches and NOTHING effects it. i even disconnected the battery cable and all THAT accomplished was the time on my radio needing to be reset. i even read where the '07 Compass doesn't even HAVE an oil change indicator. well let me tell ya, YOU'RE WRONG!

finally, out of desperation, i tried something i thought was really 'off the wall'.....i just peeled it off the windshield. i had thought of this before, but with all the postings about how messing with the radio, evic, etc, messes up your electronics, i was very reluctant to do so.

but now i'm "Good to Go" and no longer is my 'oil change indicator' bugging me......;)

#18 ·
Now that's funny! I don't care who you are that's funny!

Reminds me of the wreck my wife had in our Grand Cherokee a few years back. She was driving down our country road, when suddenly, she sees a lone pine tree staring her in the face, she swerves left, another one! She veers right, hard and another lone pine staring her in the face. Well, after all this, she is now in the ditch upside down. Luckily she survived, but we've never hung another pine tree air freshener on the rear view mirror since then!

#19 ·
The biggest thing on the lifetime warranty is the EVERY five year engine and transmission inspection! Without it, the lifetime warranty does not apply! It is free, and can be done while you're in for an oil change or other routine maintenance. I'm hoping reminders will be sent out, but in an effort to save $ it wouldn't suprise me if they aren't.

#20 ·
Great Point! you hit THAT one right on the noggin...and who knows where Jeep will be in FIVE YEARS? your letter may be delayed because it had to clear India Customs first!! :eek:

oh, BTW....the wife is from KC and is a HUGE Jayhawk Fan. therefore, SO AM I!!! my momma didn't raise no dummies........;)

#21 ·
Good to hear someone on here "gets" my name. Went to the game yesterday, nice win, boring game. Got to hear the rain beat on the top of the sky slider roof while driving home. Reminded me of our pop up camper, and made me want to take a nap! Unlike the Patriot it replaced, no leaks though! Before the rain started, we left Allen Field house and headed down to the Free State Brewery there in Lawrence for supper, and opened the top about two feet just to let some air in. Had at least six cars flash their lights, or make comments about the top as we were leaving. Made the wife beam, as she loves this vehicle. Had one college student ask me what body shop did that "custom tent thingy" for the top of it. Kinda fun having something not everyone is aware of!

#23 ·
....Had at least six cars flash their lights, or make comments about the top as we were leaving. Made the wife beam, as she loves this vehicle. Had one college student ask me what body shop did that "custom tent thingy" for the top of it. Kinda fun having something not everyone is aware of!
yea, AFTER i bought the Compass, my wife decided she like the Liberty better because of the roof. that commercial with the animals jumping though the roof is her favorite! i told her that i really liked the new Liberty too, but with me driving about 70 miles/day to and from work, the gas mileage would kill me.

but the open-air of my Unlimited is what i'll miss most and with the Liberty, i would have still had some of that feeling......:(

getting back on TOPIC, i'm glad my '07 Compass doesn't have the oil change indicator, as i have my own guidelines that i follow and would only want an 'indicator' if i could program my own parameters into it......

#26 ·
Brought up an old thread ... Also know that if the light has not come on, it won't work to do the procedure. My light came on at the initial 2200 miles, I changed and reset the light (didn't know any better). I changed the oil again at 5000 with synthetic thinking that I don't have to change again until 10k (I do all my vehicles at 5k interval .. easier to remember). At this interval, my light has not come on but I followed the reset procedure. Long and behold, my odo just cranked pass 6100 and the light came on. I reset the light and hope it won't come on until around 10k.

Anyway, it seems the light comes on at about 3k interval regardless of driving style or oil condition.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.