offroad compass - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > offroad compass

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 01-30-2009, 04:35 AM   #16
Tony1911
2007 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
The differences between the CVT2 and the CVT2L is programing. It may be possible for Any FD I equipped MK (Patriot/Compass) can be converted to FD II by reprogramming the transmission
With current knowledge of the MK platform, this seems to me to be unlikely.

(Just mentioning this as an update in case someone does research using the old posts.)

Tony1911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2009, 02:42 PM   #17
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Thanks for pointing that out!! That was some speculation in the very, very early days (2/07) when the FD II was still just on paper. No parts books, no FSM or anything but the 'net. Now we know that it takes a different final drive, axles, 4WD coupler, TCM AND programming for the hill descent. The only saving grace is that I used the caveat "may be possible".

I did find this thread and merged ours with it.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2009, 07:18 AM   #18
Tony1911
2007 MK Patriot 

It's a real shame too. I got a nice deal on a "everything but the kitchen sink, but it's last years model" Patriot (Okay, I am missing leather interior, sun roof, CD changer and... Well, that's about it I think?), but the lack of low range and that rear LSD annoy me the more I hear about the capabilities of an FDII Patriot. (Mind you, getting an official FDII version to Finland is not a simple - nor, I would very much suspect cheap - proposition, so it's not like I could have simply picked the Trail Rated one from the dealerships lot.) I keep hoping someone would come up with an ingenious solution to add the lacking functionality to our non-Trail Rateds. Preferable for very cheap, too, while they are at it, thank you very much.
Tony1911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2009, 05:17 PM   #19
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Tony, the transmissions are the same between the two but that ends at the final drive output ratio. There is virtually no cost difference between the two versions because it is basically the factory swapping out one part for another: 1/2 shafts, coupler, TCM, etc. AND different programing so all of the stuff works together, i.e. engine speed among other things. Even if you could get all of the pieces you would still have to do the programming and that comes from your VIN number and can't be changed, we tried it.

Goebel1 and I had a labor of love trying to go the other way in the AutoStick Conversion thread. I had the easy part of going blind looking at the wiring charts for hours and days on end while "G" had the frustration of doing the wiring, mechanics and trying to get some help from the dealer and the Engineers and my VIN number. I did ask the Engineers when we had our Q&A Session with them if they had any plans to make a retro fit kit for the the MK's to convert to an Autostick on the FWD's and FD II's and they said no.

If you want to have the FD II then you need to get it from the factory. Very disappointing to me since their doesn't ever appear to be a chance of retro fitting a Compass with FD II. Maybe the bone yard will supply me with the needed parts, eventually...

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.