Without a Service Manual and Complete Parts catalog this is my speculation to all that may be needed to change any MK from FD I to FD II.
The Patriot with the Trail Rated Package and Freedom Drive II includes these key features which should be easily adapted to any Patriot or Compass with the FD I package:
1–4 Included with Transmission programming (requires Standard CVT, not Auto Stick), may also require additional wiring harness(s):
1. Hill Descent Control- Uses the vehicle brakes to maintain descent speeds of 4-6 MPH in low gear and 3 mph in reverse.
2. Off-Road Brake Traction Control- When required, the traction control system will use the brakes to slow or stop a spinning wheel and send power to the axle with greater traction.
3. 19:1 Crawl Ratio- Being a Continuously Variable Transmission, the ratio is as low as 2.3:1 with a 8.1:1 final drive ratio
4. Off-Road mode engine and transmission calibration- In low, with the 4wd Lock mode engaged, the system raises the CVT rpm to maximize compression braking and provide maximum spark advance to the motor (monitored by the active spark knock sensor).
Items unique to FD II package.
These are the items that I do not see priced as a package in the Build and Price section on Jeep.com.
6. Additional ground clearance- 1" Taller springs and improved dampening.
(Only 1/2” more ground clearance than FD I package).
7. Reinforced Rear Lateral Links (control arms).
8. P215/65 R17 All-Terrain Tires (28x8.5").
These are available but priced as a seperate item.
8. Front and Rear tow hooks.
10. Engine, Transmission and Fuel Tank skid plates.
11. Heavy-duty Cooling
(CVT cooler, Engine cooler and high-cap cooling fans, part of this is also included in the Trailer Towing Prep package)
12. HD Alternator
13. Improved body sealing and relocated driveline vents
15 – 18 Also available as part of other optional packages.
14. 4WD Lock Mode- Commands maximum torque to the rear axle (electromagnetically controlled coupling, also standard on FD I)
15. Cabin air filtration (also part of Security System)
16. Fog Lamps (Standard on Limited and ?? package)
17. Seat height adjust (Standard on Limited and Sport with E package)
18. Three Mode Electronic Stability Program (ESP) (Standard on all)
I don’t see where the AutoStick is offered on the Patriot even with FD I. The “L” of Standard CVT is needed to physically engage the Off-road features of FD II. Those with an AutoStick will need to get the linkage and face plate to be able to actuate the Off-road modes. The special features of the AutoStick will be disabled with the re-programming of the transmission any way.
Just added to the Build and Price for the Patriot
Now the B&P makes more sense!! Just added:
Continuously Var. Trans w/Off-Road Crawl Ratio $1,050.00
Includes: CVT2L - second-generation continuously variable transaxle with low range, 19:1 overall crawl ratio, Skid Plates, Tow Hooks, 17-Inch Aluminum Wheels and All-Terrain Tires, Full-Size Spare Tire, Fog Lamps, Manual Seat Height Adjuster, Hill-Descent Control, Off-Road Brake Traction Control (vs. standard Brake Traction Control), +1 inch Ground Clearance vs. non-Trail Rated versions, 19” Water Fording Capability, 29.6-degree approach angle, 34.2-degree departure angle and 23.3-degree breakover angle, Heavy Duty Engine and Trans Oil Coolers w/high output Electric Fans, Heavy Duty Alternator, A/C Air Filer and other structural and calibration enhancements to meet off-road driving requirements
Freedom Drive II Off-Road Group $725.00
Height-Adjustable Driver's Seat
Fuel Tank Skid Plate Shield
Full-Size Spare Tire
Transmission/Engine Oil Pan Skid Plate