Off road = FDII, right? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Off road = FDII, right?

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-15-2009, 04:52 PM   #1
diver110
2009 WK 

Off road = FDII, right?

I seem to be the only one posting. Attribute it to an overabundance of curiosity coupled with what I have already learned from members.

It seems to me if you want to go off road, you want a skid plate, no? That would mean an FDII, but they seem hard to come by used. Any reason (other than cost) and FDI cannot be converted to a FDII? Thanks. I really appreciate all of the help.

diver110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2009, 05:10 PM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Transaxle w/CVT, axle shafts, PCM, Differential solenoid, VIN. I made a list and never published it. I quit when I had gotten to about 20 items.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2009, 05:45 PM   #3
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

For a quick over view, click on my "Profile" under my avatar and scroll down to my crawled threads where you can find links to ratios, tires, skid plates etc. Also look in the stickies and find the "Quick Links" for some helpful information. By all means keep posting any questions that you may have that's why we're here!

Unread 12-16-2009, 02:03 AM   #4
Tony1911
2007 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver110 View Post
It seems to me if you want to go off road, you want a skid plate, no?
The skid plates (The FDII comes with three) you can bolt onto an FDI vehicle. It's the rest of the FDII stuff that makes the off-road package so important - especially, in my opinion, the Brake Lock Differentials. All Patriots have poor articulation. In a cross-axle hangup (one wheel per axle has no traction), the FDI acts like any vehicle with open differentials - it is stuck. The combination of poor articulation and open differentials is not a good thing when you're driving on uneven terrain. With the BLDs, the FDII version will keep going where an FDI stops to spin its wheels. And thus far, nobody has figured out a way to retrofit FDI Patriots with BLD's. (It appears to be just a software problem, but without access to the source code it's a non-trivial software problem.)
Unread 12-16-2009, 10:11 AM   #5
diver110
2009 WK 

So, recalling my thread about what is better, and Escape or a Patriot, if you want to go off-road, the Patriot wins hands down, no? As I understand it, the Escape does not come an the off-raod package.
diver110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2009, 04:41 PM   #6
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Not knowing poop about the Escape I had to go do some research. The Mercury Mariner, Escape and Mazda Tribute are siblings. With that being said my neighbor had a Mariner, that she hated, traded it in on a Compass (4X4) and loves it. A lady at work has a 2WD Tribute, she likes it but is not a car person at all, it's just gets her from point A to point B.

The Ford has rear drum brakes, no skid plates or any off road package pieces. It does have a decent 18:1 ration in 1st gear.

The Patriot has 4 wheel disc brakes, Off road pieces and some after market parts available. It looks more better to me.

There are several forums like JF on the Escape. You can Google them and see what problems they have had on the years that you may be interested in. We can tell you about the Patriot but our knowledge may be limited on the Escape. No, I don't hate Ford (my wife does) my Model A was one of the most fun cars that I ever owned!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.