Oem tire problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Oem tire problem

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Unread 03-01-2012, 09:02 AM   #1
Busmaster2

Oem tire problem

My 011 compass came with Firestone tires, one of which appears to be separating at the juncture of the sidewall and tread. I was able to plug the leak but this is temporary. Has anyone else had problems with these Affinity model tires?

Busmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2012, 09:55 AM   #2
gbridge
2011 MK Compass 

Firestone tires

Hi,

I have about 18k (kms) on the tires and have not had any issue with them.
gbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2012, 10:04 AM   #3
Busmaster2

About a week after I bought the car the toms went off. I attributed it to the car possibly having sat too long, but this same tire is falling apart..just my luck I got a lemon
Unread 03-01-2012, 10:18 AM   #4
miketmx
2008 MK Patriot 

I have read many complaints about the poor quality of the OEM tires. I would not drive on a tire with a sidewall or tread separation defect. Look at tirerackdotcom for ratings of better tires and you are not limited to the weird sizes that OEM tires are. Check and see if you have any kind of tire mfgr warranty.
miketmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2012, 12:02 PM   #5
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busmaster2 View Post
My 011 compass came with Firestone tires, one of which appears to be separating at the juncture of the sidewall and tread. I was able to plug the leak but this is temporary. Has anyone else had problems with these Affinity model tires?
Quote:
About a week after I bought the car the toms went off. I attributed it to the car possibly having sat too long, but this same tire is falling apart..just my luck I got a lemon
Guessing they are the low profile ones(17"+ tire size) and that issue is real common on low profile tires.You get good tires and bad tires but how you take care of them(check air pressure,rotate/balance,and a alignment once a year at least) goes along way to making them last.

Oh and OEM tires just suck anyway,there not the same tires you can buy at a tire shop,may say they are but they are drastically different and the tire shop bought ones are much higher quaility.
Unread 03-05-2012, 10:39 AM   #6
JeepCares

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketmx View Post
I have read many complaints about the poor quality of the OEM tires. I would not drive on a tire with a sidewall or tread separation defect. Look at tirerackdotcom for ratings of better tires and you are not limited to the weird sizes that OEM tires are. Check and see if you have any kind of tire mfgr warranty.
There should be some information on the tire warranty with the glove box materials.
Firestone: 800-356-4644
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 02:20 PM   #7
pitrcer3
2011 MK Patriot 

Thats odd that it came with Firestone tires. My 2011 came with the Goodyear Wrangler SR-A's. I am sorry to hear you are having that issue but I do recall when speaking to my dealer when purchasing the vehicle about some tire warranty info in my vehicle info packet that is in the glovebox or on the user manual CD they included.
pitrcer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 05:02 PM   #8
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

The Goodyear tires cost extra. Part of some packages. I have them on my 2011 and its pulling pretty hard to one side. Getting an alignment and another rotation soon. If its not fixed I assume the tire has a radial pull.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 06:40 PM   #9
General_Jeep
1994 ZJ 

I still have my Goodyear tires at 32k miles. All I can say is that they suck pretty bad. They are super loud and and feel sketchy on wet and snow roads. Also they seem to lack grip on dry when turning somewhat hard, its quite annoying. I'll Probably end up with Toyo A/T
2005 Nissan Titan - Hauler

"The Jeep is Americas only real sports car!" - Enzo Ferrari
General_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #10
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Tires are covered by the manufacturers warranty. The Wrangler SR-A's are no where near what the Wrangler Silent Armors are. There are five or so more 'Wrangles' and they are all different.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2012, 06:00 AM   #11
Busmaster2

I went to Firestone and got a new tire free except for balancing, NY taxes.
Unread 03-09-2012, 10:09 PM   #12
fortuneer

2007 MK Compass 

Most 2x4 Patriots come with the Firestones on 16in rims. Some 2x4 & 4x4 come with the optional Wrangler SR-As on 17in rims.

Black '07 Compass Sport 5-speed 4X4 ("Fortuneer"), K&N filter, cat-back exhaust; RR lift, sunroof, trailer tow group, Boston Acoustic audio, sport bars, rear taillight guards, more to come... Finally got it back from the wife so I can let my Neon R/T rest for a rebuild.
fortuneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2012, 03:11 PM   #13
WingedScapula
2009 MK Compass 

For what it's worth, I still have the original stock Firestone Affinity tires at ~55K miles. I recently had one patched after a nail got lodged into it, and the place graded the tires as being in the 4-5 range (they need to be above a 2 to be street-legal in Pennsylvania). I think their scale was out of 10... either way, that's pretty good! Assuming they don't start to degrade faster with time and wear, I guess I'll be able to take them to 70-80K before I need to replace them.
WingedScapula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2012, 04:18 PM   #14
Busmaster2

At 9000 miles I have no complaints about the firestones. I have no choice but to drive hard,(nyc) potholes. I doubt if anything except rockcrawling could be any harder.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.