OBDII Error Code P2006 - Jeep Compass - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > OBDII Error Code P2006 - Jeep Compass

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 06-05-2013, 07:30 AM   #1
cptn5spd

OBDII Error Code P2006 - Jeep Compass

Hello all, I am experiencing the error code P2006-INTAKE MANIFOLD RUNNER CONTROL STUCK CLOSED. Has anyone had this error also and can provide some insight as to a possible solution other than replacing the whole intake manifold? Thank you for any help with this problem.

2007 Jeep Compass 2.4L
120,000 Miles

cptn5spd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 09:02 AM   #2
JeepCares

I don't know if any of the following is applicable to your vehicle or not. Ignore if not interested.

From the 2007 MK 2.4L Service Manual:

P2006-INTAKE MANIFOLD RUNNER CONTROL STUCK CLOSED

When Monitored:
With the engine running, when the valve opens, above a calibrated RPM depending upon pedal position.

Set Condition:
The PCM detects that the position feedback of the Manifold Flow Valve Position Sensor is not within range of the adapted value learned during in-plant initialization or after a non volatile memory reset (adaptive memory clear).

Possible Causes
INTERMITTENT DTC
(K857) 5 VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE
(K602) MFV SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE
(K857) 5 VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
(K602) MFV SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
(K857) 5 VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT SHORTED TO (K900) SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT
(K602) MFV SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO (K900) SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT
(K602) MFV SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO THE (K857) 5 VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT
(K857) 5 VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT OPEN OR HIGH RESISTANCE
(K602) MFV SIGNAL CIRCUIT OPEN OR HIGH RESISTANCE
(K900) SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT OPEN OR HIGH RESISTANCE
(Z916) GROUND CIRCUIT OPEN OR HIGH RESISTANCE
MANIFOLD FLOW VALVE
INTAKE MANIFOLD
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)

I also found this information in the system:
STAR Case Number K10528504
Vehicle Issue Mil light is on and codes p2004 or p2006 has set.;No other codes have set. The intake manifold flow control actuator wiring checks out good. The actuator has been removed to check the turning effort of the manifold shaft and it moves freely. Be aware it only moves a few degrees.
System or Component Malfunction Indicator Light / MIL / Check Engine Light
Recommendation For vehicle built before 3-21-07 with intake manifold part number release at or older than the following:  04884495AE  04884881AC  04884882AC Replace the intake manifold and flash the PCM to the latest calibration. For vehicles built after 3-21-07 but before 12-3-07 with intake manifold part number release at or newer than the following:  04884495AF  04884881AD  04884882AD Replace the intake manifold flow control actuator. For vehicles built after 12-4-07 test and inspect the intake manifold flow control valve actuator wiring. Remove the intake manifold flow control actuator and feel the manifold actuator shaft turning effort. It should be smooth al low effort. Be aware it only moves a few degrees. If the intake manifold actuator wiring and actuator shaft movement checks ok swap an actuator from another vehicle and test drive to see if the code resets.
Unread 06-06-2013, 02:27 PM   #3
cuemark8
2007 MK Compass 

Nope no fix. Componets are sealed in the intake manifold when it is cast. You must replsce it. I had to replace my intake manifold. It's actually not as expensive as you might thing.
Alot of people run into this as the Compass or Patriot get higher mileage on it.
In my case it was. Intake manifold runner stuck open.

Being stuck closed what you will run into is a lack of higher end power. The runner acts like a damper in a duct work. When closed it is partially closed and causes the incoming air to be turbulent and creates a better air/fuel mix for power and emissions. Above 4,000 rpm the runner opens allowing unresticted airflow for maximum power.
All the compenents are sealed. Other than a possible faulty sensor you must replace it.
It isn't critical that it must be replaced. It will operate just fine under normal conditions. It's only at high RPM's it will even be affected. So if your tight on money or want other opinions, take your time.
Been along time ago, but dealer replaced mine. List of manifold was $318. Only about 2 hours to fix. Less than $400 total. Ouch, but not brutal. Lol
cuemark8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2013, 11:05 AM   #4
LauLess
2008 MK Compass 

$400! My dealer is asking for $677. Where else can I take it besides my jeep dealer?
Unread 11-24-2013, 11:28 AM   #5
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Any good independent shop can do the work.
aroundincircles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 10:22 AM   #6
LauLess
2008 MK Compass 

What about reprogramming it? My shop says only the dealer can do that.

Thanks for your help.
Unread 11-25-2013, 10:39 AM   #7
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Lots of independent shops have the tools to reprogram it. Call around. you should be able to get a quote.
aroundincircles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 11:26 AM   #8
cuemark8
2007 MK Compass 

Been there done that! Yes, seem to be common problem with higher mileage Compass/Patriot vehicles.
Take your time, shop around. Not a critical fix! But the only fix is to indeed replace entire manifold.

I had to replace mine at about 140, 000mi. List price also was $318 for part. Thats list, you can do better than that. Unless the part has gone up in price, should be able to be under $400 to fix with labor.
As far as reprogramming, I don't know what reason there is to need to reprogram anything. Bottom line, get another quote.

FYI, in my case manifold runner was stuck open.

If your truly in it for the long haul, while the intake manifold is off and out of the way you might want to consider a cooland flush and change and new thermostat? But your only at 120k
cuemark8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2013, 12:31 PM   #9
cptn5spd

I'm not a mechanic but instslled new intake manifold ($250) and cleaned throttle body in about 4 hours start to finish. Car is running much better and so far no new error codes. Thank you everyone for the valuable input and saving me from paying labor fees.
cptn5spd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.