JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Compass & Patriot Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/)
-   -   not sure about a Patriot (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/not-sure-about-patriot-425573/)

RobsCrawlin7 06-12-2007 04:11 AM

not sure about a Patriot

first of all,
I love my XJ, with a passion. I just know its reached the point where now things are really going to start going wrong with it. If im going to get rid of it now is the time, before i go sinking money into it.

anyways onto the question at hand
anyone who has teh patriot, do you like it? how is it in snow and whatnot? What accessories/package do you recommend and not recommend. Anyone who loves the Xj and now owns a patriot...are you happy you switched? any regrets? thanks a lot guys.

Gramps 06-12-2007 05:08 AM

Don’t let the sheet metal fool you into thinking that there is a drivability difference between the Patriot and the Compass. The Patriot hasn’t been out long enough (mid March) to see much snow, but the Compass has proven to me that the MK platform handles any road condition that you care to try. I rate them as EXCELLENT in the snow and ice.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/compass-snow-2006-07-a-345239/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/compass-ice-2006-07-a-362313/

Rictus58 06-12-2007 05:50 AM

I'll have to agree with Gramps. For the most part the drivability on the Compass and the Patriot are probably excatly the same. The major difference (aside from looks) between the two is the Pat has FDII available.
I took delivery of my Patriot in early march. Only drove it in two light snow storms. It drove beautifully. I felt more comfortable in the patriot than I did in my 97 TJ.
I didn't order mine with the FDII though because I didn't buy my Patriot with the intention of taking it off-road. The reviews I've read however make it out to be very capable off-road.
As far as options are concerned, I think a must would be the following:
9-speaker sound system
YES Seats and heated seats
17" wheels (the stock 16 are UGLY imo). I wish I had upgraded.
I'd like to add I average 28mpg on the highway in the Patriot.
At this point Jeep isn't taking orders for the 2007 Patriots. You'd have to order a 2008 which is higher in price.

djp_63 06-12-2007 09:43 AM

I am a former Cherokee owner (1997 4 X 2 with an I-6 auto) and may offer some food for thought. I fell in love with my XJ the minute I was 100 yards on a test drive. It was stiff, powerful and felt solid as a brick. Mine was a very basic model with power nothing which I liked in a Jeep. I put 170K trouble free miles on it and sold for a decent price when I needed to haul 7. When you look under an XJ, you see a lot of sturdy common sense mechanics with nothing flimsy, which is not so true on the Patriot. The XJ ride was rough and loud and the short wheelbase made it twitchy, demanding attention to keep it straight on the road at highway speeds. It also liked to get slippery when the rear end was un-weighted. However, I still miss it and looked at getting another when I considered getting a Patriot. I found some, but they were over priced for the age, mileage and condition. Also, after driving the Patriot, the Cherokee quickly became very dated in my mind and I stopped looking for one.

Now I really like my Patriot, but it is not a direct replacement for an XJ: get a 4 door Wrangler for that. But if you want the utility and looks of an XJ, reasonable off-road capability, smooth and quiet ride, affordable SUV with great gas mileage, then look into getting a Patriot. Of course a test drive will tell you most of that. I am very happy with mine and I only have few mild complaints. I have a Sport, CVT FWD, tyre and wheel package, deep tint windows and an option bundle with all the power stuff. I could have skipped the power stuff and have manual windows and locks, but I wanted the adjustable drivers seat and everything else it came with. I think I am just annoyed with the power locks and would just rather have a key on the front doors and liftgate and I am sure I will be fixing a power window or two during the course of ownership. Cranks are fine.

JeepinGirlCT 01-11-2008 05:43 PM

Did you end up buying one?

We love the Patiot so much we bought 2-both '08's, both Manuals.

What did you end up with? Ours are GREAT in the snow! It just walks right through it.

ScubaStevie 01-11-2008 09:44 PM

I now have about 100 miles on mine.. I got it yesterday. I live in michigan and am stoked for some snow.

The patriot I fell in love with. I had a v8 1993 ZJ that was great for 4 years but I needed something new. This is my second car and I drive alot of things from family ect.

My parents have a saturn vue, and a chevy equinox.
My sister is 16 and leasing a saturn ion
My grandparents have a Pontiac G6 and my other another saturn ion..
My aunt has an 06 Grand Cherokee...

Driving all these I love some things about the patriot...
The drive is much smoother then the vue or equinox. The vue has more power but it isn't the same gas mileage and has a bigger engine. Equinox just sucks....The saturn is great and fun to drive but a little rough for a car. You just feel the cheapness. The G6 IMO drive like the patriot. You feel like your "one with the road".
Well I'm a little offtopic...

My grand cherokee was powerful and stuff but when it comes down to it. The patriot is the perfect car unless your going off roading. I know many people with jeeps don't off road so I think the patriot will start doing better.

The patriot drives way smoother then a jeep grand cherokee and it feels like your in control

I love everything about this car for the first 100 miles and have 0 complaints other then not getting everything on it because I'm not rich

BTW the patriot has some great acceleration and I still don't know what people mean by it being weak. When I need it to go.... IT GOES

JeepinGirlCT 01-12-2008 05:15 AM

Congratulations on your new Patriot! I agree-when you need it to go-IT GOES. What color did you get?

Gramps 01-12-2008 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScubaStevie
I now have about 100 miles on mine.. I got it yesterday. I live in michigan and am stoked for some snow.

The patriot I fell in love with. I had a v8 1993 ZJ that was great for 4 years but I needed something new. This is my second car and I drive alot of things from family ect.

My parents have a saturn vue, and a chevy equinox.
My sister is 16 and leasing a saturn ion
My grandparents have a Pontiac G6 and my other another saturn ion..
My aunt has an 06 Grand Cherokee...

Driving all these I love some things about the patriot...
The drive is much smoother then the vue or equinox. The vue has more power but it isn't the same gas mileage and has a bigger engine. Equinox just sucks....The saturn is great and fun to drive but a little rough for a car. You just feel the cheapness. The G6 IMO drive like the patriot. You feel like your "one with the road".
Well I'm a little offtopic...

My grand cherokee was powerful and stuff but when it comes down to it. The patriot is the perfect car unless your going off roading. I know many people with jeeps don't off road so I think the patriot will start doing better.

The patriot drives way smoother then a jeep grand cherokee and it feels like your in control

I love everything about this car for the first 100 miles and have 0 complaints other then not getting everything on it because I'm not rich

BTW the patriot has some great acceleration and I still don't know what people mean by it being weak. When I need it to go.... IT GOES

Thanks for the "off topic" comparison, I enjoyed it! :thumbsup:

The early production, up to about the end of April '07, had some different programming for the CVT and a TSB was released for a "performance improvement". Still, the CVT's take some getting use to, some adapt more quickly that others.

CharBroiled 01-13-2008 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScubaStevie

4500 miles on our 07 patriot. no complaints and it goes in snow great, you dont even really have to pull the 4WD lever, traction control does most of it. it tends to "ride up" on snow a bit more than my cherokee (probably the wider 17" tires) but its hard to slide it or otherwise break it loose in snow. it it just keeps going, even with snow building up in front of it (like in the 10" storm we had).

and I think its an absolute DOG off the line (and we had Jeep check the CVT programming, its the latest). guess Im just used to V8 grunt off the line. maybe its the CVT and a manual would do better.. but once it winds up it goes pretty good :)

JeepinGirlCT 01-14-2008 03:49 AM

Love that Patriot

I haven't driven the CVT, but the 5 speed is okay off the line depending on how much you're willing to stomp on it, I guess. It isn't like my X-terra (but that was a 6 cylinder and had almost 100 extra HP and guzzleed the gas), so you really can't make a side by side on that one. I agree that once it gets going, it picks up quick. No problems here. Still lovin it, especially with the fresh 10" of snow we picked up from the latest Nor'Easter. I picked up a treadmill yesterday-No problem! Love the fold down front seat. Didn't even really need to, because it fit fine with the back seats folded. I love a utilitarian truck!!:D

CharBroiled 01-14-2008 05:44 AM

yeah more room is one reason we chose the patriot over the compass. the split reclining rear seats are nice too.

you cant even powershift a CVT, the rev limiter is around 2.5k in neutral and park.. but when merging on the highway I love the way it sits screaming at 6k rpm and the rest of the thing catches up to it.

JeepinGirlCT 01-14-2008 07:05 PM

My husband and I will stay with Manual transmissions.....the way God intended cars/trucks to be :rofl:

Jeepster55 01-14-2008 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cel0129
My husband and I will stay with Manual transmissions.....the way God intended cars/trucks to be :rofl:

"God"? or Henry Ford???:laugh:

Gramps 01-14-2008 08:30 PM

Guess I need to dust off my Abacus and put away the keyboard.:fish:

CharBroiled 01-15-2008 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cel0129

I love standards too but the patriot is for the wife and she hates them. and my XJ came with an auto so Im stuck with it. Ive managed to blow almost every auto tranny Ive ever owned (about a dozen so far). hopefully the MK and XJ will be exceptions..

however now that Im getting old and decrepit (and had a double fusion back surgery) autos are kinda nice for when youre stuck in traffic. but I sure miss barking gears :(

The time now is 02:09 AM.