NOT JEEP, but how about a Smart Car? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > NOT JEEP, but how about a Smart Car?

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-16-2008, 08:18 AM   #1
Jeepster55

NOT JEEP, but how about a Smart Car?

ok, with gas prices nearing $4/gal, i'm ready for some relief, even if i DO have to pay for it! SO, today i placed my "reservation" for my very own Smart Car. with gas prices nearing $4/gal (and probably $5.gal next year ), i'm ready for some relief, even if i DO have to pay for it!

i chose the "Passion Coupe" with leather seats, fog lamps, upgraded stereo and additional gages. this car will NOT replace my Compass, but will be a replacement for my '03 Toyota Corolla. i'll use it in the spring, summer and fall as my 'daily driver' to and from work. the Compass will be used strickly in the winter and for trips. with the way the Smart system works, i probably won't take delivery of this car until next spring anyway.......but that's ok. it gives me plenty of time to get my Toyota ready to sell.

so, have i gone crazy????

Jeepster55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2008, 08:44 AM   #2
rob_rector
2007 MK Compass 

Not crazy at all. Gas prices are just insane. I thought about buying a Prius or something like that for my daily driver. Oh well, I ended up just eating PB&J for lunch instead of spending money .... hehehe
'07 Compass Limited 4X4: K&N Air charger, Borla cat back exhaust, Rocky Road Lift kit, Firestone Destination A/T 245/65/17's, Red painted brake calipers, Pioneer AVIC Z2, Sirius, iPod interface, Polk Audio 6X9s (all 4 doors), Polk Audio Tweeters (dash), Polk Audio 6.5s (rear hatch), 2 Kicker CVR 10" Sub woofers in custom enclosure (hidden), Eclipse XA4000 4 channel & XA1000 1 channel amplifiers.

Peep my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3031696
rob_rector is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2008, 08:47 AM   #3
Jeepster55

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_rector View Post
Not crazy at all. Gas prices are just insane. I thought about buying a Prius or something like that for my daily driver. Oh well, I ended up just eating PB&J for lunch instead of spending money .... hehehe
PB&J??? huh, never thought of that! guess that WOULD be less expensive than a CAR PAYMENT!
Unread 03-16-2008, 08:53 AM   #4
rob_rector
2007 MK Compass 

If I didn't drive 57 miles each way to work, I would ride my bike. Problem is it would take me 3 hours to get there and 3 to get back. Add in a 9 hour day .... well you get the picture. I wonder if Jeep or Dodge is planning any hybrid vehicles? The Caliber and Compass would be perfect and I bet they would sell the crap out of them.

When we traded my wifes SRT8 Charger in for her HEMI Durango we actually got better gas mileage. And my Compass is getting the same as my '07 Camry V6 (mainly due to driving habits).

But wow a Smart car ... that would be cool for a daily driver .... peepin them right now online
'07 Compass Limited 4X4: K&N Air charger, Borla cat back exhaust, Rocky Road Lift kit, Firestone Destination A/T 245/65/17's, Red painted brake calipers, Pioneer AVIC Z2, Sirius, iPod interface, Polk Audio 6X9s (all 4 doors), Polk Audio Tweeters (dash), Polk Audio 6.5s (rear hatch), 2 Kicker CVR 10" Sub woofers in custom enclosure (hidden), Eclipse XA4000 4 channel & XA1000 1 channel amplifiers.

Peep my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3031696
rob_rector is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2008, 01:41 PM   #5
Jeepster55

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_rector View Post
Not crazy at all. Gas prices are just insane. I thought about buying a Prius or something like that for my daily driver.
have you noticed the INCREASE in the number of Prius' on the road lately? just went to the store this AM and i bet i saw 6 of them. the wifey is thinking 'Prius' for her next car, but she can't get past the fact it looks like her old Datsun B210 in the back!!!
Unread 03-23-2008, 02:02 PM   #6
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I hope that when the battery quits they can afford $5-6K for the replacement and when they're tired of it the "environmental fees" to get rid of it. To resale it with no warranty is not going to be easy to do.

I've got a friend in college that's writing a paper on the Prius v. Hummer and over the long haul (at $3.00 a gal.) you'd better off to go with the Hummer.

There were some Smart cars over in the UK back in '04 that I got to look at. They have an "egg" shaped substructure for safety and all of the wheel and suspension sections are modular and take the force of the impact. We got behind one in traffic and it went off and left us in the dust (sorry, no dust in the UK, too damp, but you know what I mean). Still, it's an in town only car, the Semis would blow you off the road on the interstate.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2008, 06:15 PM   #7
Devildog985
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The gas mileage on the smart car did not seem like a whole lot more to me. You would be better to buy a toyota corolla or honda civic. My sons civic is averaging 36mpg
Unread 03-23-2008, 06:21 PM   #8
Jeepster55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog985 View Post
The gas mileage on the smart car did not seem like a whole lot more to me. You would be better to buy a toyota corolla or honda civic. My sons civic is averaging 36mpg
oh, i Have a Corolla that gets 32+ now.....and yes, the Smart doesn't do much better than that (40+), but MPG's alone are NOT the reason. i have my Jeep Compass as well, to get me through all those tough winters and such, but the Smart is for that daily drive to and from work. and, when i'm driving the Jeep, i can store the Smart in my mini-barn, something that the Corolla, Civic or Prius will NOT be able to do.

besides.....they're COOL!!!!
Unread 05-15-2008, 09:11 PM   #9
Jeepster55

Reasons to buy a smart.....

savings on gas purchases for three years: Corolla vs smart........$370.00
(based on 12K/yr at $4/gal and 30mpg for Corolla and $4.10/gal and 40mpg for smart)

savings on car purchase between Corolla and smart...............$3,125.00
(approximate differences between comparablly equiped vehicles)

"Fun Factor of driving the smart..........................PRICELESS!!!
6948937403.243656616.im1.main.565x421_a.562x421.jpg   6948937404.243656616.im1.02.565x421_a.562x421.jpg   6948937407.243656616.im1.05.565x421_a.562x421.jpg  
Unread 05-16-2008, 09:11 AM   #10
schoat333
2008 MK Patriot 

I have to say i sat in one of these at the autoshow and i was surprised at how well i fit in it. im 6' and even my 2003 corolla was a little uncomfortable (long legs and a 5 spd dont mix).

That being said i think id rather get a motorcycle. Better gas mileage and even more fun to drive
schoat333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2008, 09:23 AM   #11
Shirai_Ryu

And someone designed a lawn mower attachement for the front when your not at work:
Shirai_Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2008, 02:19 PM   #12
bensez

Guys, be happy.
In Germany we pay $ 9.05 per gallon (converted) for gasoline. That´s really insane! Therefore, a lot of jeepers overhere get a supplementary liquified petroleum gas (LPG) equipment to save fuel. Liquified gas is more than half cheaper than gasoline and LPG has been priced by our government until 2018.

Do you have similiar possibilities saving fuel in the US? Instead buying Smart Cars (which were really terrific)
bensez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2008, 03:29 PM   #13
Jeepster55

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoat333 View Post
I have to say i sat in one of these at the autoshow and i was surprised at how well i fit in it. im 6' and even my 2003 corolla was a little uncomfortable (long legs and a 5 spd dont mix).

That being said i think id rather get a motorcycle. Better gas mileage and even more fun to drive
sorry, the wifey won't let me have a motorcycle......too dangerous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirai_Ryu View Post
And someone designed a lawn mower attachement for the front when your not at work:
maybe that would work, as the wifey won't let me have a RIDING MOWER either, but she WILL let me get the smart. that could kill two birds with one stone......

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensez View Post
Guys, be happy.
In Germany we pay $ 9.05 per gallon (converted) for gasoline. That´s really insane! Therefore, a lot of jeepers overhere get a supplementary liquified petroleum gas (LPG) equipment to save fuel. Liquified gas is more than half cheaper than gasoline and LPG has been priced by our government until 2018.

Do you have similiar possibilities saving fuel in the US? Instead buying Smart Cars (which were really terrific)
haven't heard of that here in the U.S. that would be great....any info on it? are there Patriots in Germany running on LPG? i want some more info on THAT!!!!!
Unread 05-18-2008, 01:47 PM   #14
bensez

Here some pics of a GC getting a LPG equipment, taken fom the german jeep forum.

www.jeepforum.de/index.php?showtopic=21769&hl=

What´s looking like a balloon in the trunk is the additional liquid gas tank.
A disadvantage: LPG is only available for gasoline engines, not for diesel.
bensez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2008, 10:22 PM   #15
pixelnate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensez View Post
Here some pics of a GC getting a LPG equipment, taken fom the german jeep forum.
What is a GC?

Also, you cannot view any of the images unless you are a member of that forum. Thanks for the thought, though. While LPG would be a great alternative to gasoline, especially here in Texas where we refine so much oil, there aren't a whole lot of vehicles that can be converted to run on propane. Also, our EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) [sic] won't certify propane conversions as being safe enough for our roads.

There are a couple of vehicles that you can buy over here with an OEM conversion (Ford F-150), which *is* legal, but they are almost always sold in fleets to local municipalities. That means that for the average Joe, it is almost impossible to own an LPG vehicle. I almost bought an 10 year old XJ that had been running in the Austin municipal fleet, but I didn't pull the trigger fast enough.

If anybody knows how an individual can buy an LPG vehicle, I would love to know. The fuel is cheaper and produces almost zero emissions. You'd think Jeep would be all over this, but hell, we cannot even get a current Liberty diesel.
pixelnate is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.