Noobish question about Patriot 4WD system/ESP System - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Noobish question about Patriot 4WD system/ESP System

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBest deals on Yukon Gears at JeepHut.comNeed Ace Engineering products? JeepHut has you covered.

Unread 02-18-2008, 02:15 PM   #16
gerty920
2007 MK Compass 

Thanks!

I will do the same again as well

gerty920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2008, 01:01 PM   #17
jessasfella
2013 JK Wrangler 

When I was purchasing my Patriot, the sales guy told me that whatever I did, I needed to be at a standstill when I engaged the 4wd. I thought that sounded inaccurate, but I didn't argue, mostly because I could tell he didn't really know what he was talking about. (As mentioned here, the manual says you can engage at any speed, and my real-world experiments have proven this true).

Last night I went to a new owners' appreciation thing at the dealer (kind of cool, actually), and they divided us up by vehicle and had a mechanic point out all the stuff about our vehicle. I was the only Patriot owner there, so we were just making smalltalk. I mentioned what the sales guy had said, and he said that didn't sound right. He also mentioned to me to remember that it was a 2-wheel-drive vehicle until the lever was pulled, which put it into 4wd. Which is wrong. (I have FDI, so I don't know if it's true for FDII or not).

Moral of the story: learn about your own vehicle, because the dealer sure doesn't know about it. That's why jeepforum has been great for me as a TJ owner...anything I want to know, I can find out here. I hope we can build that kind of community for the MKs.
jessasfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2008, 07:27 AM   #18
Argent33
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessasfella View Post
He also mentioned to me to remember that it was a 2-wheel-drive vehicle until the lever was pulled, which put it into 4wd. Which is wrong. (I have FDI, so I don't know if it's true for FDII or not).
Hmm that was my understanding of how the FDI is in my Compass - it's a FWD vehicle until you flip the 4x4 on - also are there any speed limitations to the 4x4 system? I mean I know I won't be doing 80 with it on - but is there any harm in running it at like 40-50 mph (like snowy/icy surface streets etc)

-[O l l l l l l l O]- 2014 Freedom Edition JKU - Hydro Blue 6-Spd
Argent33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2008, 08:04 AM   #19
CharBroiled
2000 XJ Cherokee 

even with the 4WD lock off it will still transfer power to the rear wheels as needed. 4WD Lock is controlled by the computer so even with it on it will go on and off by itself depending on speed (the 4WD light will stay on however). but with 4WD lock off it prefers to power the fronts only most of the time.

you could leave 4WD lock on all the time and at any speed, the computer will sort it all out. all 4WD lock does is tell the computer you want all 4 wheels powered as much as possible. at low speeds this will give the rear power all the time but above a certain speed it will do what it thinks best.
Unread 02-22-2008, 08:37 PM   #20
Coasty161
2008 JK Wrangler 

re-read http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/how-mk-awd-system-really-works-512380/
Coasty161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2008, 07:27 AM   #21
gerty920
2007 MK Compass 

Does anybody know what axle is installed on a FD1 Compass?

It seems there are diff lockers available for "Dana" axles and these are installed on most jeeps
Unread 04-13-2008, 08:13 AM   #22
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

No Dana's, they're Independent Suspension. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/axle-info-please-353354/

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2008, 12:26 PM   #23
gerty920
2007 MK Compass 

ok, thanks. so basically i cannot fit a diff lock to a compass.
Unread 04-13-2008, 01:41 PM   #24
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Sorry, but no. One of the guys at Rock Crawler has investigated that and no one is manufacturing anything at this point.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.