No oil cooler for my Pat? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > No oil cooler for my Pat?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-27-2014, 10:05 AM   #1
miscrap

No oil cooler for my Pat?

I recently purchased a 2014 Patriot Latitude 4x4 wih the 2.4L and 6 speed automatic. I currently tow my 1,500 lb fishing boat with my '05 Tahoe, but seeing as how the Tahoe has almost 150,000 miles on it I was considering the possibility of becoming a one car family in a couple years, and towing the boat with the Patriot. To my shock and surprise, I was unable to find a part number for an oil cooler. The oil coolers out there are only for the manual and the CVT. I contacted Jeep and was told there was no oil cooler available for the 6 speed. How is that possible? I'm pretty sure the tow prep package (which includes an oil cooler) is an available option with the 6 speed. Did I get wrong info from Jeep? Has anyone installed a cooler with the 6 speed?

miscrap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2014, 04:46 PM   #2
Katmandu
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscrap View Post
Has anyone installed a cooler with the 6 speed?
Not yet, but it's not difficult to do.

I just posted this on another thread.....

Quote:
If it were mine and I lived in the desert or anywhere temps get over 100 degrees I would install an Auxiliary Transmissions Oil Cooler. You can get a transmission cooler for under $50 and they are very, very easy to install.

Simply attach to the front of your radiator with plastic ties, then splice into the transmission cooler lines (at the fitting of course), add the recommend amount of tranny fluid and your done! No more overheating plus added PEACE OF MIND.

Hayden Automatic Transmission Oil Cooler
Sale Price: $29.63
Quantity:
(21) In Stock
Part Number: 118686-07027039
Notes: Trans Oil Cooler -- Economy Tube and Fin Cooler Light Duty; Size - 5 x 12 1/2
Condition: New

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/201...il_cooler.html
- 2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade Rocky Mountian Edition - gone
Katmandu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2014, 11:18 PM   #3
miscrap

Thanks, but I'm looking for the oil (not transmission) cooler, which is recommended when towing over 1,000 lbs. It's available for the 5-speed manual and the CVT, but doesn't seem to be available for the 6-speed automatic... except that it is available if you get the tow prep package. So the part apparently exists, they just don't sell it separately as far as I can tell.
Unread 08-03-2014, 07:20 AM   #4
937Comanche
1991 MJ Comanche 

If the oil filter mounting specifications are the same ( and I am betting the are) there may be a sandwich type aftermarket oil cooler that will work. I do not know the specs though.
937Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2014, 08:26 AM   #5
miscrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by 937Comanche View Post
If the oil filter mounting specifications are the same ( and I am betting the are) there may be a sandwich type aftermarket oil cooler that will work. I do not know the specs though.
For warranty purposes I'd really like to stick with MOPAR.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.