No Bus Jeep Compass 08 sad day... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > No Bus Jeep Compass 08 sad day...

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 08-25-2008, 10:23 PM   #1
codered911

No Bus Jeep Compass 08 sad day...

well i messed up bad lets put it this way, i drove the jeep into A DITCH filled with water half the engine was sumberged for over 40 min i turned the car off immediatly and got it towed back to my house and now, it sits battery is dead or shot or needs to be cleaned i think. and when i try to start it when its being boosted it says no bus on the odometer reading... windows wont go up or down and only locks or lights work. i dont know what 2 do, the fuses were under some water so they look shot... i dont know much about cars but anyone got any ideas? or give me an estimate on what you think a fix is going to cost ty vm

08 compass btw iam a dead man

codered911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2008, 03:29 AM   #2
festerw
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Call the insurance company and drop it off at the dealer. Unless you have access to some sophisticated equipment tracking down all of the problems water can cause it will be a nightmare.
Unread 08-26-2008, 04:54 AM   #3
CharBroiled
2000 XJ Cherokee 

ouch. dunno if insurance will cover it but if it does the dealer might be an option. if they dont.. well..

may be just everything is still wet, if you can wait I would just open the hood, disconnect the battery, pull the cover off the fuse box, pull all the fuses and let it dry out. for like a couple days. seriously.

might want to unplug any connectors that were under water and let them dry out also. you could spray around with WD 40 (Water Displacement formula 40).

it will probably cost big bucks for a dealer and all they will probably want to do is replace everything.

give it a couple days. modern electronics are fairly robust and once dry they may be OK as long as it wasnt salt water (that ditch wasnt the Atlantic was it?)

what may of happened is you got the data bus wet (shorted) and the various computers cant communicate with each other. once the bus is OK, you may be fine.
Unread 08-26-2008, 04:35 PM   #4
howdy246
2008 MK Compass 

Your insurance should cover it. A friend of mine did the same thing a few years ago with his wife's car. Even the dealer couldn't guarantee that they could fix it properly so the insurance just bought them a new car. At least phone them and tell them what happened.
howdy246 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2008, 10:06 AM   #5
exxon
2004 TJ Wrangler 

take apart the fuse box and all connectors attached to it, or any other connector that you think got wet. Put some dielectrical grease in the plugs and try that. Moisture got into the fuse box of my dodge and I did that, then it ran just fine
exxon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2008, 08:17 PM   #6
codered911

ty iam going to try that tonight.
codered911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2008, 09:09 PM   #7
EagleStorm
2008 WK 

drop you cell phone in the ditch and see how well it works . the dealer may want to replace all the parts that were wet you do want them to warr there repair dont you? If your insurance dont cover it get new insurance it's an accident is it not? thats why you have insurance
EagleStorm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2008, 08:34 PM   #8
Jeepster55

so any luck? i know it's not a Jeep, but years ago i had a 74 Camaro and ran it down a street that was flooded. the car was going downhill and water was up to the firewall, with the headlights shining UNDER WATER! weird......

anyway, pushed the car up out of the water and after a couple hours, started the car and drove it home. never had a problem after that either.

UNFORTUNATELY todays cars (and Jeeps) are a little more sensitive and have A LOT MORE ELECTRONICS. i agree with the guy that said 'take it to the dealer and turn it into your insurance co'.

good luck.
Jeepster55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2008, 11:33 AM   #9
madrabbitt

at least you didnt do this:

Also, if my image server were up, i'd totally post my nobus graphic... but its down.
Alas. :'(

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.