No brake lights on Patriot - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > No brake lights on Patriot

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-08-2008, 07:42 PM   #1
tb7063
2007 MK Patriot 

No brake lights on Patriot

After towing my old boat trailer I discovered that I had no brake lights on the sides, only at the top of the hatch. Fuses and bulbs were good. Took it into the dealer and they said a short had set a code in the computer and that code disabled the brake lights. (Apparently the high brake light is not part of this circuit) And they stay disabled until the code is reset in the computer even after the short is removed. They charged me $80 to reset the darn code. Has anyone else had this problem? Does $80 to reset a code seem outrageous to anyone else or am I a cheapskate? Is this a code that Autozone could have reset for free?

tb7063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2008, 08:29 PM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I don't know about Auto Zone but it does sound outrageous at $80! Which wiring harness did you use?

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2008, 11:21 PM   #3
madrabbitt

shi... um shoot. for 80 bucks, you could have bought a cheap obd2 scan tool and probably reset the dang thing yourself

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2008, 11:53 PM   #4
taseal
1993 XJ Cherokee 

80 bux?

just unplug the batt for 10-15 mins
Unread 02-09-2008, 02:50 AM   #5
merlinTec

Hi
Yes I have had this with none genuine tow bar packages. The dealer is correct the fault will stay there till it is reset. As for the price, for the one I had I reset it free for him twice but I then told him I wouldn’t do it again and to get the correct tow kit on it. If he had to come back again I would have to charge him are standard diagnostic fee and that is £87.50 = our hourly labour rate. Think that’s $175 US but that’s low for the going labour rate in the UK for main dealer.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 02-09-2008, 05:38 AM   #6
taseal
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinTec View Post
Hi
Yes I have had this with none genuine tow bar packages. The dealer is correct the fault will stay there till it is reset. As for the price, for the one I had I reset it free for him twice but I then told him I wouldn’t do it again and to get the correct tow kit on it. If he had to come back again I would have to charge him are standard diagnostic fee and that is £87.50 = our hourly labour rate. Think that’s $175 US but that’s low for the going labour rate in the UK for main dealer.
Regards,
Merlin
usually its 49.50 for that here. but most places will just do it for free.
Unread 02-09-2008, 08:13 AM   #7
Laloggia
2010 JK Wrangler 

I had the same problem with my Compass. I installed a u-haul wire harness for the trailer and have had nothing but problems. I bought the $100 mopar wire harness from someone on ebay. It was new, but in the listing, it said it would fit a Patriot or Compass. BEWARE: there are two different part #'s for this. One for the Compass and one for the Patriot. I learned this the hard way. No break lights except for the one on top in the middle and a check engine light. Well, i knew it was gonna cost an arm and a leg to get it fixed. I put it all back together with the u-haul wire harness and took it to the dealer. I definitely didn't tell them I was messing with it. They reset the code for free.
2007 Honda Civic Coupe
Laloggia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2008, 09:03 AM   #8
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

There is a harness for the Compass and early Patriot that uses a three connector set up on the left tail light pigtails (82209280AB) and a later (late '07?/early '08) for both that uses a 2 connector set up for the left tail lights (part number unknown).

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2008, 11:17 AM   #9
tb7063
2007 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb7063 View Post
After towing my old boat trailer I discovered that I had no brake lights on the sides, only at the top of the hatch. Fuses and bulbs were good. Took it into the dealer and they said a short had set a code in the computer and that code disabled the brake lights. (Apparently the high brake light is not part of this circuit) And they stay disabled until the code is reset in the computer even after the short is removed. They charged me $80 to reset the darn code. Has anyone else had this problem? Does $80 to reset a code seem outrageous to anyone else or am I a cheapskate? Is this a code that Autozone could have reset for free?
I have an after market wiring harness and the dealer wanted to replace it with the MOPAR for $320. At this point I asked "So a trailer light short won't cause this trouble with the MOPAR harness?" Their reply was "it can still happen with our harness". So I'm not sure what the benefit is to have the dealer put their harness in if I can still have the same problem. Just have to make sure any trailer I hook up has good wiring,
Unread 02-09-2008, 11:21 AM   #10
tb7063
2007 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by taseal View Post
80 bux?

just unplug the batt for 10-15 mins
So disconnecting the battery will definitely clear this code?
Unread 02-10-2008, 05:53 AM   #11
hvac59

tb7063,
Are you sure you don't have a problem with the trailer wiring? I suppose the OEM harness could do the same thing if it was an overload or a short in the trailer side. I would double check it to be sure. There are some companies making a isolator(which needs a separate power wire & ground. They keep all the vehicle lighting feeds within the vehicle, and allow for switching around the trailer side outputs in case of light wiring discrepancies between the two. If having the reason to tow multiple trailers that don't necasarily belong to you is where I've seen it(boat yards & towing companies)..........
hvac59
White 09 JK "X"
hvac59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2008, 09:40 PM   #12
tb7063
2007 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvac59 View Post
tb7063,
Are you sure you don't have a problem with the trailer wiring? I suppose the OEM harness could do the same thing if it was an overload or a short in the trailer side. I would double check it to be sure. There are some companies making a isolator(which needs a separate power wire & ground. They keep all the vehicle lighting feeds within the vehicle, and allow for switching around the trailer side outputs in case of light wiring discrepancies between the two. If having the reason to tow multiple trailers that don't necasarily belong to you is where I've seen it(boat yards & towing companies)..........
hvac59
I'm fairly certain it was the trailer that caused the fault. That makes the isolator sound like a pretty good idea. I'll do some searches on that.
Unread 02-11-2008, 10:04 PM   #13
taseal
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb7063 View Post
So disconnecting the battery will definitely clear this code?
yeah, but it the problem is still there, it will come right back
Unread 02-12-2008, 07:04 AM   #14
CharBroiled
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by taseal View Post
yeah, but it the problem is still there, it will come right back
are you sure pulling the battery will reset the code? I know that works with the XJs but the patriot computer is state of the art and may keep history codes in flash memory that will survive a power cycle.

Ive always wondered myself, anyone know for sure?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.