No Brake Lights on Boat Trailer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > No Brake Lights on Boat Trailer

ExtremeTerrain has Daystar Wrangler Parts!Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 06-26-2009, 08:31 PM   #1
Ledge
2009 MK Patriot 

No Brake Lights on Boat Trailer

Last week I had the local Jeep dealer install a "tow package" on my Pat. They installed the oil cooler, hitch, and wiring. We hooked up the boat to my Pat and the camper up to our Ram and headed out for a week at the lake. I was following my wife and realized the brake lights on the boat trailer did not work. The turn signals and the running lights work fine but not the Brake lights. When we got to the campground I hooked the boat up to the Ram and the lights all work fine. I found a local Jeep dealer near by and had them look at it. They said the TIPM was blown and they replaced it. BUT on the way home from the campground today we had the same problem.

The Jeep dealer "up North" tried to give me a hard time about making sure I unplugged the lights before I backed the boat into the water. I told him 1. I've never had the chance to back the boat into the water because I found the light problem the very first time I hooked it up and 2. this is not my first boat or trip to the water, I know better. Then he tried to tell me there must be a problem with the boat wiring even though it works fine with my Ram and it has been hooked up to my buddies Explorer with no issues. I just have a feeling they are trying to set me up somehow to get out of fixing this.......Has anyone had this problem or does anyone have any suggestions?

The constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests - Patrick Henry
Ledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2009, 05:57 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The TIPM doesn't "blow" without a reason and since your trailer wiring appears to be OK I would suspect the harness is bad. Possibly a frayed wire that is shorting to ground or one of the 4 relays (the one for the brake lights) is bad.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2009, 08:44 AM   #3
ChillyWillys
2008 MK Patriot 

I suspect that Gramps nailed it. A bad wiring harness was my first thought too.

Keep on Jeepin' !!!!

CW
ChillyWillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2009, 11:40 AM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I was thinking on this some more while working in my garden (tomatoes ). Even though the trailer wiring works OK on your Ram, your Ram has more tolerance (i.e less picky) than the MK for intermittent grounds, etc. At least look it over, even inside the light housings, just to make sure. Even a rusted terminal on a ground wire could cause a higher draw than the system allows.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2009, 12:51 PM   #5
Ledge
2009 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
I was thinking on this some more while working in my garden (tomatoes ). Even though the trailer wiring works OK on your Ram, your Ram has more tolerance (i.e less picky) than the MK for intermittent grounds, etc. At least look it over, even inside the light housings, just to make sure. Even a rusted terminal on a ground wire could cause a higher draw than the system allows.
I was thinking that this morning too. I'll go over the harness this weekend. The boat trailer is less than a year old but maybe a wire got pinched. I'll check over the lights/sockets too. Thanks for the suggestion.
The constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests - Patrick Henry
Unread 07-02-2009, 01:16 PM   #6
biggered
1997 ZJ 

I just installed the hitch wiring and cooler and had the same issue.

The harness covers multiple years 2007-2008 and maybe 2009.

There is a wire that needed to be cut for it to work on a 2008.

It sticks out of the harness and is buried where the connectors plug in the engine compartment.

check out install guide in the link

http://www.mopar-accessories.com/en-...=3060&pc=43286

RED
biggered is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2009, 07:24 AM   #7
bdrainy
2008 MK Patriot 

I have solved the TIPM/Brake light problems on the patriot without a dealer.
First put a relay in the wire between the brake light and the tow hitch wiring. making sure there is a permanent live feed from the battery.
Second, disconnect the battery for 10 minutes. This resets the module but does not clear all the hidden settings
Third touch the battery leads togethor for 5/10 seconds. (this may take 2/3 attempts. This clears all the hidden settings.
Everything now works fine.
bdrainy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2009, 07:21 PM   #8
Ledge
2009 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggered View Post
I just installed the hitch wiring and cooler and had the same issue.

The harness covers multiple years 2007-2008 and maybe 2009.

There is a wire that needed to be cut for it to work on a 2008.

It sticks out of the harness and is buried where the connectors plug in the engine compartment.

check out install guide in the link

http://www.mopar-accessories.com/en-...=3060&pc=43286

RED
Thanks for the tip! I just finally had time to check my harness and I found that wire described in the instructions....not cut...even though the instructions say to cut it if you have an '08. It does not say anything either way for an '09. Now I am wondering if it could be that simple and if it is that simple how did 2 different stealerships miss such an easy fix. (Well I know how my local dealership missed it, those guys don't care about anything but getting your cash)

I think I'll print the instructions and take them to the dealership. I'm sure that is the solution but I don't want to have to buy a new harness if by some fluke my model of '09 needs the wire intact.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.