Nice ride over some hills... a highway review... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Nice ride over some hills... a highway review...

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 04-28-2007, 08:24 AM   #1
phonegunner
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Nice ride over some hills... a highway review...

The wife and I (along with two other passengers for a total of 4 adults) went for a jaunt yesterday from Salt lake City, Utah up to Rock Springs, Wyoming and back along I-80 over Parleys Summit and the "3 Sisters" (a set of 3 up and down hills with extra passing lanes for truck traffic and other slow traffic to avoid clogging the highway).

Her Compass (with CVT 4x4) was quite impressive handling the hills with nary a need to force down the gearing... we pretty much left it in drive and let it have at it "shifting" (felt more like slipping in a normal auto trans) down as it needed to maintain 65 or 75 (as the speed limit varied for the drive) as the cruise control was set to.

Fuel mileage was reported by the on-board system as 26.8 MPG for the trip. Tires showed up to 39 PSI while driving.... and my wife enjoys the heated seats when having to get back in to a cold vehicle... and the view of the almost full moon was spectacular through the sun-roof (moon-roof?)...

Of course the back seat passengers enjoyed the reclining seats for the later half of the trip as it was late.. returning home at 2:30 AM this morning...

The only problem I have is that my head is long in the back and I just can not find a matching position on the headrest (the one the juts forward) and ended up removing it and then turning it around back wards to at least give me something to rest on when I was in the passenger seat... I am going to have to explore either a modification or a replacement headrest to allow the posture I enjoy while driving... hmmmm.. I wonder if the ones I took out of my back seats on my liberty might work... (they were removed to facilitate quicker rear seat fold down when using the Liberty to haul long equipment for work...)

All in all.... I do think that my wife found a nice and comfortable vehicle for her everyday use and to allow safe and comfortable transportation...

Oh and it has the same coloring as the one gramps has.... she loves that red and the silverish accutrements...

Ted...

2005 TJ Wrangler X (now with the oldest daughter)
2006 KJ Liberty Renegade (the work vehicle)
2007 MK (or is that mmmmmk?) Compass Limited (the wifes 4x4 daily driver)
phonegunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2007, 05:12 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Thanks for the review! Glad to hear that the CVT holds it's own on the hills around there too.

There certainly appears to be many that don't like the head rests, either front or rear. I guess one size doesn't fit all very well!

Nice color, BTW! My wife, who is not a "red" fan, liked it enough to swap her '96 GC for an '03. The pics are in my gallery.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2007, 04:56 PM   #3
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

Cali head rests aren't all they're supposed to be either, I find that I have to jack mine almost all the way up for them to get comfortable. Around here coming into Northport on Hwy 82 E, there's several small rolling hills where its just steep enough and high enough to get the CVT to start climbing on up there, and then right as it gets back to its set speed on cruise, the hill drops back down and the cvt lets off, only to then be met immediately by another hill. It sounds funny to say the least. You will also get a kick out of this: I was driving my Wrangler the other day, and on the 2.5L AMC/Chrysler engine it has, torque peaks at 3250 RPM giving me 145 lb/ft. (not much is it?) Anyway, its a stick shift, and I found myself going down the interstate trying to hold it at 3250 thinking "I'll get the best torque here" and forgetting that I will still stay the same speed, unlike my CVT Cali. I bet that 18 wheeler thought he had a dumb *** on his hands! I kept looking at the speedometer and wondering if I was at torque peak why I wasn't accelerating!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.