NGK Iridium Plugs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > NGK Iridium Plugs

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-01-2008, 01:48 PM   #1
cuemark8
2007 MK Compass 

NGK Iridium Plugs

I now have 34,000 mi. on my Compass 4X2 5-speed, have not had it a year. I mostly have all highway mileage. I'm car pooling with one other person my fuel economy is seldom less than 30mpg! I have the EVIC, I think it's very accurate the lowest I have seen it dip anytime recently was a momentary reading of 28.8 traveling over a mountain top. It bounced right back when heading down the other side. My mileage right now according to the EVIC is 31.8. I have checked it a fill-ups. I still get routinely around 31 Mpg. The last tank full I that calculated I went 414 miles on the tank full!
I will say I have the K&N cold air intake kit. I use nothing but synthetic motor oil and I changed the stock NGK sparkplugs at 30,000 as stated in the owners manual. I switched to the NGK Iridium sparkplugs. This all does help to get the most from the engine.

cuemark8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2008, 04:10 PM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuemark8 View Post
I will say I have the K&N cold air intake kit. I use nothing but synthetic motor oil and I changed the stock NGK sparkplugs at 30,000 as stated in the owners manual. I switched to the NGK Iridium sparkplugs. This all does help to get the most from the engine.
I haven't been able to find the part # for the NGK Iridiums. Do you have it handy?

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2008, 10:41 AM   #3
cuemark8
2007 MK Compass 

NGK Iridium sparkplugs

Gramps might want to move this thread. This is in reply to Bob. The torque values and gap are Chrysler specs from the factory service manual.

Stock sparkplug NGK ZFR5F-11
Iridium sparkplug NGK ZFR5FIX-11 or simply 2477
Gap for either is .043"
Torque sparkplugs to 13ft-lbs. + or - 2ft-lbs.

NGK also has a platium sparkplug available for that as a cross reference. Not sure the part #. NGK just recently switched to a four digit product # to simplify cataloging parts. Simply use NGK sparkplug #2477. Any of those sparkplugs should be fairly easy to obtain. Many Honda vehicles from the early to late 90's use that exact sparkplug including the Civic, DelSol, Accord, and Prelude to name a few. Sparkplugs are sold in packs of 4. I paid just over $8 apiece.
cuemark8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2008, 04:40 PM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Thanks for the info. I am switching over to Amsoil and wanted to get everything through them. They handle NGK but don't show a listing, neither did NAPA or even NGK.com. I don't know what's up with that but I really appreciate the feedback!

Unread 09-27-2008, 01:35 PM   #5
petbug
2008 MK Patriot 

NGK iridiums

Gramps,

I have just changed my plugs for NGK ZFR5FIX-11 and also my oil to Mobil1 5W-20 (Ansoil was not as easy to find). My Pat has only 5,500KM on it, but I wanted to improve my mileage. Guess what? No change, if anything it is worse and I swear power is down in 2,000-3,500 range. Any suggestions? Perhaps the trick with battery disconnect may re-set something, or is it a myth? Help anyone!
petbug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2008, 02:40 PM   #6
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I noticed my mileage slooowly dropping off around 30K miles (48,280 kilometers) so I changed the air filter and went with Autolite AP5224 a "single stage platinum plug. I did disconnect the battery and on restart it went up to about 24 1/2 mpg on my EVIC but then continued to slowly drop and after checking with a few fill ups my mpg was dropping down to 19 at the lowest check. Also at this same time my cruise control was acting up intermittently.

I was getting ready to head down to Tennessee for the Worlds Longest Yard Sale, way over loaded, and before we left I did the battery disconnect trick and it went back up to about 24 1/2 again, no time to go to the dealer so we left on the trip. My mileage dropped off about 0.1 mpg about every 50 miles or so. While there and hitting all of the yard sales, back and forth, idling with the A/C on (very hot and humid the first 2 days) mileage hit the worst ever at 17 mpg but I was sitting still ALOT so I didn't expect it to do to well. Before we started back home I disconnected the battery, right back up to 24 1.2 and then slowly dropped like before.

I've had mine in twice for the cruise control and it will work for a few days and quit. The first time they replaced the switch only and the second time they replaced the switch, clock spring and the air bag because of a note in their manuals about an early production date using a superseded clock spring.

I did experiment a few times with pulling over and restarting my Jeep and sometimes it reset and the cruise worked again and other times not (mostly not). To me it seems like when I start it that the computers aren't reading that there is cruise control installed. Absolutely no indication on the dash when you push the button to turn it on. It has also turned off by itself while driving along with it engaged. I have a strange feeling that there is either a poor electrical connection, TCM or ECM going bad.

Back to gas mileage. It has stabilized at just shy of 23 mpg, a little less than it used to be. I have changed over to Amsoil mostly for the longer change intervals, no mileage increase on mine but the Wife's Grand has gone up 2mpg. You can find a local Amsoil dealer in larger areas but I use the website and became a preferred customer (cheap) since I have 3 and sometimes more cars to take care of. http://www.syntheticlubestore.com/

I was holding off on reporting this until I found a fix but it is still eluding me.

Unread 09-29-2008, 12:22 PM   #7
Tuksonrider
2008 MK Patriot 

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but... what's a "Clock Spring" and it's function?

Thanks.
Tuksonrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2008, 04:53 PM   #8
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The clockspring is under the air bag in the steering wheel and allows the steering wheel to be turned 360°+ and still keep the connection to the electrical components. This includes the horn, radio buttons, cruise control, and airbag. If anyone of these don't function or if more than one does not function your clockspring may be to blame. Most of the time the srs light will come on but only a dealer can scan for this to see if it is in fact your clockspring.

Unread 09-29-2008, 07:04 PM   #9
Tuksonrider
2008 MK Patriot 

Thanks! That's really good to know.

The reason I asked was that I installed a mopar Speed Control in my '08 Patriot. It works fine, and everything else seems to work fine, but now I get the Engine MIL on my dash. I have no idea what it could be, but I may have to take it into the dealership. I just won't mention that I installed a cruise control.

I somewhat mechanically inclined. Enough to get myself in trouble, I guess. On the bright side, the speed control works perfectly!

Oh, to keep it on topic, I just ordered 4x E3 spark plugs. Should be arriving tomorrow. Hopefully that goes well without a hitch. *crosses fingers*
Unread 10-01-2008, 11:03 AM   #10
Zappy
2007 MK Compass 

Gramps, it sounds like you're describing almost exactly the problems that I had after I changed over my plugs back around 30K miles with the drop in the mileage down from the slightly over 24mpg down to roughly 20mpg or so. The mileage still isnt back to where it was before that oil/ air filter/plug change.

Like you, I haven't been able to figure out what would cause that sudden drop in mileage. The only thing I can think of so far would be that intermittent issue I've got going with with the flow control valve actuator that I still have to find the time to get in and get replaced. I was getting the drop in the mileage though before that problem manifested itself, so I'm not too sure about that being the culprit.
Zappy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2008, 01:03 AM   #11
petbug
2008 MK Patriot 

Tuksonrider can you please report on your mileage after you put in E3 plugs? Tks
petbug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2008, 01:35 PM   #12
Tuksonrider
2008 MK Patriot 

Sure thing. I'm taking a 1600mi road trip next week. Granted, most will be highway miles.

Also (sorry if a bit off topic), my Engine light went off on it's own. I don't know what that was about, but it's not lighting anymore (except of the bulb check when I first turn the ignition key).
Unread 10-30-2008, 12:08 PM   #13
Tuksonrider
2008 MK Patriot 

Okay, got the milege.

Setup:
2008 Patriot 5-spd manual. "D" package
Speed Control
E3 Spark Plugs
K&N Drop-in Filter
OIL: 0w-30 Mobil1
Bug deflector (don't know about wind resistance, but helps a ton against bug splatters).
Avg speed = 78mph
AC running about 95% of the time

1551 miles (85% highway miles), used 54.61gal (according to reciepts) = 28.4mpg

It seems pretty avg. honestly for this vehicle. Still, 28mpg for a small suv is nice. The trip was very comfortable. 2 adults, 1 child and enough baggage for a week.
Unread 10-30-2008, 12:22 PM   #14
Argent33
2014 JK Wrangler 

Must be the change in final drive gear ratios between the 07's and the 08's cause I'm happy when I get 24 mpg :P and I don't consider myself a leadfoot

-[O l l l l l l l O]- 2014 Freedom Edition JKU - Hydro Blue 6-Spd
Argent33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2009, 11:07 AM   #15
PirateKatz

Spark plugs @ 30,000 miles?

I'm going to take my 2008 Jeep Compass into the shop next week for its 30,000 mile service. I noticed that according to the manual, the spark plugs should be replaced at this time.

Please excuse my auto ignorance but why do they have to be changed so early? My previous cars all went significantly longer before this was recommended in the manual.

Thanks!
PirateKatz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.