Newb to New Cars, how much can I do myself without breaking my warranty? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Newb to New Cars, how much can I do myself without breaking my warranty?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSpiderwebshade @ JeepHut.com

Unread 05-27-2012, 10:00 AM   #1
rivalarrival
Stormaggedon

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Newb to New Cars, how much can I do myself without breaking my warranty?

Just bought a 2012 Patriot for my DD, my first brand-new vehicle. I've never before owned a vehicle with any sort of warranty.

I want to install a hitch receiver, mostly for carrying a cargo basket that I pretty much need for my job, but also for occasionally towing a 4-wheeler. The dealership quoted me $685 parts & labor + tax to do the job, which seems rather excessive to me.

I also want to install tow hooks in the front - dealership quoted $415. I'm pretty sure the lower fascia needs to be replaced or modified to install the hooks, but I'm told it can be bought for under $100, and the hooks themselves can be found for about the same price.

I'd prefer to do the work myself, but I'm concerned about the effect it will have on the warranty. Any insight?

We work together every damn day. --Jon Stewart

Any gas can be a knockout gas, when you wrap a steel cylinder around it and beat someone with it.

Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club member #188
rivalarrival is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2012, 08:24 PM   #2
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

It will only affect any part of the warranty that they can prove the failure was caused by your modification. I would imagine if tou use approved jeep or mopar parts it wouldnt affect it at all. For a hitch and tow hooks, I would imagine a dealer could argue a transmission or suspension failure was caused by it, but technically they need to prove it. On the same note, that may require going to court before they finally give in or don't fight it. Meanwhile they may decline you. Now if it's an alternator or cd player or something, obviously a hitch didnt cause that so warranty would still apply.

I'm planning on modifying my stereo but Im concerned about warranty as well.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2012, 10:46 PM   #3
rivalarrival
Stormaggedon

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FujativeOCR View Post
It will only affect any part of the warranty that they can prove the failure was caused by your modification. I would imagine if tou use approved jeep or mopar parts it wouldnt affect it at all. For a hitch and tow hooks, I would imagine a dealer could argue a transmission or suspension failure was caused by it, but technically they need to prove it. On the same note, that may require going to court before they finally give in or don't fight it. Meanwhile they may decline you. Now if it's an alternator or cd player or something, obviously a hitch didnt cause that so warranty would still apply.

I'm planning on modifying my stereo but Im concerned about warranty as well.
That's pretty much what I expected. I don't think there is a Mopar 2" receiver for the Patriot, so the expensive one the dealer would install isn't really what I want anyway, and I'll end up with a no-drill Curt or Reese receiver. I've got a few 2" accessories I'd like to be able to use without adapters.

We work together every damn day. --Jon Stewart

Any gas can be a knockout gas, when you wrap a steel cylinder around it and beat someone with it.

Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club member #188
rivalarrival is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.