New tires/shocks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > New tires/shocks

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 02-18-2010, 10:42 AM   #1
Elihawk
2008 MK Compass 

New tires/shocks

1. Okay, my 08 Compass has just under 22,000 miles on it and it is about time for a new set of tires. I know we have had some threads on what type of tires are options, but for those of you who have already crossed this milestone, what tires did you get and why?
2. Has anyone changes, or found a shock absorber that can make the ride smoother. The last two winters have really made the roads in Iowa bad and sometimes I feel like I am driving and school bus...

PS and premise...I have the Rallye Sport, so 16 inch wheels and of course, the dreaded Firehawks tires. I would love to have a tire that fills the wheel-well better, but don't really want to spend 200 dollars per tire...and I want something that is good in the winter, but I won't be doing any off roading (not on purpose, at least)

Thanks, in advance!

Elihawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2010, 02:34 PM   #2
miketmx
2008 MK Patriot 

I got frustrated trying to get AT All Terrain type tires for our Pat in the OEM size 215/65/17. There are a lot of options for 16" wheels. I ended up buying Cooper CS4 T touring tires. One is in the trunk and 3 are in the garden shed until I can take off the winter Michelins Xice Xi2. I would have bought Toyo Tourevo LS tires but they are not yet available in Canada. I think the All Season Touring tires will out last any All Terrain tires and be smoother riding and of course quieter. We do a lot of downhill skiing and the Winter tires are much safer on ice but I could get by with All Season tires 12 months/year without the skiing. Tirerack.com has ratings for tires but they do not stock Cooper tires or Toyo tires. I put new shocks on our 99 Cherokee and it still is as rough riding as it always was! The Cherokee wears Michelin LTX M+S tires and they are good for everything except icy roads.

http://www.coopertire.com/HTML/products/tires_passenger.aspx?page=cs4_touring_t

http://www.toyocanada.com/products/Tourevo.asp

Last edited by miketmx; 02-18-2010 at 02:47 PM..
miketmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2010, 02:19 AM   #3
Tony1911
2007 MK Patriot 

I found my ride became much smoother when I upgraded to a tire with more sidewall. (I had the export model stock tire size 215/60/17, upgraded to 225/65/17 Yokohama A/T-S.) But one would imagine 16" wheels already had tires with a bit more sidewall than the 17" ones? Anyways, before you start spending money on shock absorbers, try some new tires first - could save you a bit of money.
Unread 02-19-2010, 06:37 AM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Like Tony said, a taller sidewall will help a lot on the ride, more air cushion. I thought the Rallyes were 18" Firehawks which are a 55 sidewall? I went with a 235/60-18, a night and day difference and there are a lot of new ones out there since I bought mine.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2010, 01:35 PM   #5
Elihawk
2008 MK Compass 

Gramps, you are the experts, so I am sure you are correct. I simple went to a couple tire sites, punched in Jeep 08 Compass, Sport and got the 16 inch option...but you are correct, the Rallye has different rims than the regular Sport...
Unread 02-19-2010, 02:55 PM   #6
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Ya, it was unfortunate that part of the Rallye option was the 18" wheels. there are a lot of us in the same boat but there are more options available since I first started went looking for mine. The Tire Rack is showing 4 pages of 235-60-18 (29") and 3 pages of 225/60-18 (28.6").

Edit: miketmx found my typo. THANKS!!

Unread 02-21-2010, 12:20 AM   #7
deepnite10

rather than going with the recomended 215/65/16 s..i went with the
215/70/16 yokohama geolander HR s..the diameter of the tire is 28"

you can check the tirerack site and get all the specs. on the 65 vs. 70
series..

the geolanders ride good in the dry..but, just marginal in snow..so much
that i had them siped and now i d just have to say they re OK..when the
time comes to replacing them im more likely to go with the all terrains..maybe a snow tire..
deepnite10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2010, 09:45 AM   #8
Elihawk
2008 MK Compass 

When I punch in my info on tirerack.com, it says that my vehicle was equiped with one of two sized tires (and seems to think I have 17" wheels)...
215/60-17 vs 215/65-17
Unlike most of you, I know very little about tires. First, is tirerack.com incorrect...as Gramps said above, the Rallye Sport come with the black 18" wheels. Second, does anyone know the dimensions of the wonderful Firehawks?
And last what are my dimension limitations? Can I go up to 235 width or 70 height? Sorry, I know some of this has been discussed in other threads...
Unread 02-22-2010, 10:35 AM   #9
miketmx
2008 MK Patriot 

First thing to do is look at the door post placard on the driver's side of your Compass for the original size of the tires or just look at the sidewall of your tires. Tirerack.com does not realize that 215/65/17 size tires are available on a Patriot and that Rallye wheels are an option on a Compass. Shop by Tire Size instead of by Vehicle Make and Model. I replaced my tires with exactly the same size as the original but you can choose a little larger for a smoother ride if you stay within 3% speedometer difference. Use the Tire Size Calculator on the following link and try different sizes, 225/60/18 sounds like a good alternative.

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp
You will Not be impressed by the rating that tirerack.com gives to those dreaded Firehawks.
miketmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2010, 07:34 PM   #10
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Here's all of the sizes. Since the Rallye was a package and not a model, like the Sport and Limited, it doesn't show correctly. The Firehawks are 215/55-18. At the Tire Rack I just punch in "by size" and go from there. Once in the size area you can check off what kinds of tires that you're looking for and get it narrowed down a bit.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/o...ml#post4104384

I personally like the looks of the General Altimax HP. I would have gotten those myself back when but they were too new and not available when I needed them. I still may get those for my 18" wheels and get dedicated snow tires for my 16". I'm still undecided.

General Altimax HP

Unread 02-23-2010, 02:56 AM   #11
Tony1911
2007 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
And last what are my dimension limitations? Can I go up to 235 width or 70 height?
Basics first, just to make sure we're all on the same page: tire sizes are marked xxx/yy/zz where xxx is tire width in millimeters, yy is sidewall height as percentage of the tire width - in other words, sidewall size 70 is not a fixed number but dependent on the width of the tire! - and zz is wheel diameter in inches.

Your dimensional limitations are going to be the overall diameter of the tire, which is something you will have to calculate yourself (I like the Miata Tire Calculator myself), and the width of the tire. With Patriots, most people report some rubbing with 235mm wide tires at least at full lock when using stock rims, so if that would be a problem for you, a 225mm or narrower width would probably be safer - tire height, of course, makes a difference on whether it rubs or not as well. Height-wise, well, it depends really. With Patriots, the stock tire diameters are 27.2" for FDI and 28" for FDII, but people have gone up to about 29.5" - it's that spring perch in the front that limits tire size. (Personally, I wouldn't put a very tall tire on an unlifted MK, but that's me - worrying about silly things like clearance at full compression of the suspension and such.) Of course, different tire sizes are going to have an effect on the available torque, fuel consumption, cornering, speedometer error (stealership can adjust speedometer for up to 28" tires, but not more than that), etc. etc. If you have a stock Compass and want to keep things safe, I wouldn't go very much past 28", at least without checking if others have run that size tires and what they think about it.

First things first though - you seem uncertain on what size wheels and tires you have right now. Take a look at the sidewall of your tires before you buy anything.
Unread 02-23-2010, 01:09 PM   #12
Elihawk
2008 MK Compass 

thanks guys..in the past, I have just gone to my mechanic and said "New tires please" and asked for a quote...but I really wasn't to concern about how my Mazda Protease looked!

My current tires are 215 55 R18 Firehawks and as many have comment, not only are those crappy tires, but they don't seem to fill out the wheel wells very well...giving the Compass one of its few awkward looks.

So if I understand correctly, the 18 inch diameter is not up for negotation and and Tony, if I understand you correctly, the width of my current tire is 215 mm and 55% x that of that would be height (118.25mm)? You cannot find much that is wider or taller in the 18 inch side, so I may have to just match my current tire. Even the 215 55 18 size only has a few options...for instance, at discounttiresdirect.com, only the Yokohama AVID TRZ and Falken Ziex ZE-912 are options.

Okay, thanks for the tire education, guys!
Unread 02-24-2010, 12:47 AM   #13
Tony1911
2007 MK Patriot 

Tirerack shows 30 different tires that are size 225/60/18. Granted, that's a bit larger tire - 28.6" calculated overall diameter - but I understood you wanted slightly larger tires?
Unread 02-27-2010, 05:50 PM   #14
compassnorth

RE; New Tires/ Shocks

I found the Goodyear Wranglers dreadful on my 2007 Compass Sport. Changed over to Goodyear Assurance Triple-Tred. 225/65-17's. They have been terrific. Use them year round. This winter not so bad, but the last two were brutal, and I had no problems on these tires.
compassnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2010, 06:10 PM   #15
tb7063
2007 MK Patriot 

Amen to Goodyear Wrangers being dreadful. I suffered through 50K-plus with the Wranglers on my 07 Patriot. Replaced them with Pirelli P4s this fall and couldn't be more pleased. Very quiet and smooth. They are great on wet roads and did very well on 5" of snow (the most we got here this year). Didn't have the opportunity to try them on glazed ice.
tb7063 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compass , patriot , tires

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.