New Tires - Compass still noisy - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > New Tires - Compass still noisy

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 09-01-2008, 11:13 AM   #1
ponderosa
2007 MK Compass 

New Tires - Compass still noisy

After replacing those Firestones the Compass still is noisy on the highway.
225/60 18"
The "growling" sound is highest at 65 and also when slowing down on a off ramp. The brakes, gear (CV autostick), or RPM have little effect on the noise.

Diff fluid level is OK but diff is hot after a highway drive. Ready to drain diff to check for metal on plug. 30,000 miles 2 years.

Dealership call required but need to be ready for that.

I have read others putting in sound deadening material. I'm worried about reliability.

John D.

ponderosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2008, 08:25 AM   #2
Bador

2008 MK Compass 

What Make/Model tires did you put on?

The Right Thing, The Easy Thing, and the Popular Thing, are seldom the Same Thing
Bador is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2008, 10:37 AM   #3
Argent33
2014 JK Wrangler 

Hmm I have Firestones and don't notice my Compass being noisy on the highway

-[O l l l l l l l O]- 2014 Freedom Edition JKU - Hydro Blue 6-Spd
Argent33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2008, 05:57 PM   #4
ponderosa
2007 MK Compass 

Old tires Firehalks new tires Michelin Primacy MXV4

The old tires were the Firestone Firehalks (18" Compass Limited 07).
They were worn very uneven with cupping and such as described by other forum members. I'm sure the car is much quieter now so I can hear other noises.
Unread 09-03-2008, 05:43 AM   #5
Argent33
2014 JK Wrangler 

Hmm i'll have to keep an eye on that when my milage gets higher then...

of course by then I'll probably have an aftermarket exhaust and between that and my CAI I won't hear other noises anyway hahaha

-[O l l l l l l l O]- 2014 Freedom Edition JKU - Hydro Blue 6-Spd
Argent33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2008, 09:28 AM   #6
Autocar
2011 KJ Liberty 

2008 Compass Sport - 5 speed, came through with Firestone Afinity`s, noisy & poor riding quality also if you rode overa bump or uneven pavement @ highway speed, it wanted to change lanes on you. At 500 miles, I swapped them out for Michelin Hydro-Edges. Dealer gave me $200 credit for the Firestones (good riddance to them) plus no charge for installing the Michelins which cost me $450. It rides better then it did, handles pretty well even in very hard rain but it`s still not to my liking. Have 1700 miles on it now & and just traded it for a Patriot after driving one, what a difference.Picking it up tonight (9 / 9)

Last edited by Autocar; 09-09-2008 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: Update
Autocar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2008, 10:09 AM   #7
ponderosa
2007 MK Compass 

Bad rear wheel bearing

The noise from the rear was still there after new tires. Finally turned it over to the dealer. They replaced the right rear wheel bearing and now its smooth and quiet.

Ponderosa
Unread 12-23-2008, 12:45 PM   #8
jeepfreak_5
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Also be advise that the corp but out a bulletin on the compass's coming from manufaturers out of alignment. My wife has a compass and all the tires have been whats called "LIPPED". Rub your hand over the tire and if it feels bumpy then your is the same way. Replacing the tires will only make a difference for a short while if that is the case. Rotating the tires won't help either. You have to get an alignment but make sure that you tell the dealer not to put it back in manufactures spec's. You want a true alignment.....the manufacture spec's are off...!!!!! If you do get the alignment you will still hear the road noise unless you buy new tires at the same time. You can leave the old tires on but be advised that it will take the same amount of miles to wear the tires back to being even. Example if you have 15k on the car and do the alignment with out new tires it'll take another 15k to evenly wear the tires back to a flat surface.
jeepfreak_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2008, 04:11 PM   #9
beau2449
2008 MK Compass 

I have the Compass Sport w/17" rims. Upgraded to General Tire's Ultra High Performance Summer tire in 235 55R 17 and they are great. Just went into 4" of clay mud and with only FWD had no problems. Ride is smooth now, almost like I did something to my suspension. And, no noise!.... It works for me....
beau2449 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.