New take on MPG - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > New take on MPG

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 03-21-2013, 04:41 AM   #1
Wmillonig
2012 MK Compass 

New take on MPG

There's lots of threads about mileage (mostly not good), but I thought I'd try to put a new spin on it. I just finished a 2500 mile road trip over 10 days. Thought I'd share my #'s for those who troll the site and are curious, and perhaps something interesting for the rest of us.

We're talking stock FD1, 2012 Compass LTD (18" wheels), CVT, 1 person, two suitcases, 6900 miles on odometer at start, and 87 octane regular gas from national brands (mostly the same fuel NASCAR uses). All numbers are from the computer after at least 30 min in each test condition (I reset MPG each time), but I also did old-fashioned division at fill ups, which confirmed the numbers are close enough for government work.

The standard reference point is 50 degrees (ish), no wind, flat ground, nearly sea level 65 MPH = 26 MPG (exactly the sticker) with RPM about 2400

Factors
+/- 5 MPH = +/- 1 MPG
+/- 10 kts wind = +/- 1 MPG
Hills (altitude changes of about 1000') = -1 MPG

Some actual examples for me:
-- Driving south on I81 into a 20kt wind at 70 MPH = 22 MPG
-- 60 MPH on flat ground with about 10kts tailwind gave me 28 MPG.
-- 70 MPH flat with no wind was 25 MPG

Almost everything affects this little motor, even what you think are crosswinds seems to cost you about .5 MPG (65 MPH at sea level with ~10kts of crosswind gave me about 25.5MPG). A comfortable driving range is 250 miles in almost any road condition. For those of you with a computer, mine was quite accurate in it's miles to empty. Once I got it down to what I estimated was 12 miles to empty (it doesn't register below 30 to go) and it took 13 gallons.

Your actual mileage may vary! Drive safe, Bruno

Wmillonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 04:45 AM   #2
yougotdslapd

Thank you for your interesting study! I guess this thing does get pretty good gas mileage; you just gotta' understand all the factors involved. For acceleration, how hard should we accelerate at from 0mph? 2000rpm? 2500rpm? 3000rpm?
yougotdslapd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 05:47 AM   #3
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

I generally average 24 MPG +/- for mixed driving( 70-80% city )and see 30+ MPG all higwhay from my 2011 FDI Patriot( 2.4L CVT w/ 225/65R17 ). I have seen as high as 35.8 MPG all highway from it( hand calculated and accurate - not onboard computer numbers ). That is on flat highways, no wind, etc... and using CC set at 60-62 MPH.

I recently took my Dad to the Baseball HOF in Cooperstown, NY from home here in NH. The trip was through western MA and into NY where it is ALL mountains. Good lord I felt like I was on a roller coaster! Those hills/mountains really impacted my MPG.

On the trip to NY the weather was nice and almost no traffic at all so I was able to do my usual 60-62 MPH in CC. Net result was 27 MPG. Good for the EPA rating( 21/26 )but way down for my usual results.

On the way back we were racing to stay ahead of a big winter storm rolling East( NY to NH the whole way ). There was also a lot of traffic. I ended up going 70-75 MPH at times to try and stay ahead of the snow and also to get past groups of vehicle congestion and away from trucker convoys that were a real pain. MPG for the return trip fell down to 25 MPG( barely ).

All in all the MPG was good, based on the EPA ratings for the vehicle, considering the conditions and all. I was disappointed as I generally see so much better though. Just goes to show how going 70 MPH+ hurts your MPG as does road conditions. Those hills kept me at or near 3000 RPM's almost contantly. Just killer.

I am taking my Dad to Williamsburg, VA this fall and the roads on that trip( have made it before )are a lot flatter plus I usually drive overnight to avoid traffic. I expect to see 30 MPG+ on that trip.
Active Drive I
NHPATRIOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 10:12 AM   #4
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

And lest we not forget to subtract a couple of mpg's for those of us who only have access to 10% Ethanol gas.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 10:49 AM   #5
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

We have had E10 here since 2006 when it became mandated and replaced MTBE. My MPG #'s are on E10 just FYI.
Active Drive I
Unread 03-21-2013, 11:21 AM   #6
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHPATRIOT
We have had E10 here since 2006 when it became mandated and replaced MTBE. My MPG #'s are on E10 just FYI.
Ah. Must have missed that in the original write up.
Unread 03-21-2013, 11:22 AM   #7
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Wait you didnt do the original write up...I was referring to the OP
Unread 03-21-2013, 11:42 AM   #8
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FujativeOCR View Post
Wait you didnt do the original write up...I was referring to the OP
I know. I was adding that bit of info about my MPG so people seeing my #'s would realize they are on E10.
Active Drive I
Unread 03-21-2013, 12:17 PM   #9
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHPATRIOT

I know. I was adding that bit of info about my MPG so people seeing my #'s would realize they are on E10.
Be glad you dont have fd2. You'd be at 3,000 rpm at 70 on flat ground, no hills.
Unread 03-21-2013, 08:07 PM   #10
cuemark8
2007 MK Compass 

2007 Compass Limited FWD 5_speed manual

Just hit 220k mi. yesterday. I get mad when I average less than 28MPG. I know I have been setting traffic alot.
I average 29 to 30 constantly. Once I get my winter off in a few weeks. That number should go up slightly. If driving a long distance I will average over 30MPG easily.
cuemark8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2013, 04:15 AM   #11
Wmillonig
2012 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yougotdslapd View Post
Thank you for your interesting study! I guess this thing does get pretty good gas mileage; you just gotta' understand all the factors involved. For acceleration, how hard should we accelerate at from 0mph? 2000rpm? 2500rpm? 3000rpm?
Not really sure, these were just highway mileage numbers, already at speed when I reset the computer. But I average 19 or so in 100% city driving, typically below 2500 RPM or when accelerating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHPATRIOT View Post
On the trip to NY the weather was nice and almost no traffic at all so I was able to do my usual 60-62 MPH in CC. Net result was 27 MPG. Good for the EPA rating( 21/26 )but way down for my usual results.
27 MPG is about all I've ever seen at that speed, do you normally drive with A/C on or off? One thing I forgot to mention is that this was all windows closed and A/C in auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FujativeOCR View Post
And lest we not forget to subtract a couple of mpg's for those of us who only have access to 10% Ethanol gas.
These were all E10, in fact I thought everyone had 10% Ethanol gas, I can't remember the last time I used 100% fuel. Perhaps when stationed in Germany 10 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuemark8 View Post
2007 Compass Limited FWD 5_speed manual

Just hit 220k mi. yesterday. I get mad when I average less than 28MPG. I know I have been setting traffic alot.
I average 29 to 30 constantly. Once I get my winter off in a few weeks. That number should go up slightly. If driving a long distance I will average over 30MPG easily.
That manual tranny seems to be really good at efficiency, I would've considered looking for one, but wanted the tow package.

Thanks for the great comments.
Unread 03-22-2013, 06:04 AM   #12
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmillonig View Post
27 MPG is about all I've ever seen at that speed, do you normally drive with A/C on or off? One thing I forgot to mention is that this was all windows closed and A/C in auto.
Ummm..., early March on a trip from NH to NY and you are asking about windows open and the A/C being on going down the highway?

Or do you mean in general? Best ever MPG I have got( 35.8 )had AC on and windows up.
Active Drive I
Unread 03-22-2013, 10:05 AM   #13
cuemark8
2007 MK Compass 

This is off the subject of this thread. Wmillonig mentions he was considering the Compass with a manual but couldn't get the towpackage.
Gee Chrysler has changed alot of things around.

My '07 has the tow package. It has engine oilcooler for towing. I wanted that. I then installed the factory mopar hitch.
I know too that getting a manual in a Compass now limits you to only the Sport package. The manual is not available in higher trim levels.
With the Patriot, you can get the manual also in the Lattitude package.
I know this because I was considering trading mine in on a new Compass. I can't get a new Compass equipt the same as I have now.
So in time I'll find another car company to do business with.
cuemark8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2013, 04:38 PM   #14
Wmillonig
2012 MK Compass 

yes, I guess they build what sells. I had a Ranger pickup back when, the tow capacity with the auto tranny was way more than the manual, so it seemed normal. It hadn't occurred to me that it used to be avail in the Compass with the tow pkg. But I gotta say, for all its faults, the CVT is sweet on the highway. And looks like only a couple of mpg hit for the 4x4.
Unread 03-24-2013, 06:08 AM   #15
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I did do a write up on this and how to create your own 'Tow Package' awhile back - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/q...5/#post7067041

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.