New to Patriots, Old to TJ's - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > New to Patriots, Old to TJ's

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 09-30-2012, 05:31 PM   #16
march
2011 MK Patriot 

New Patriot Freedom Drive II

We just bought our 5th Jeep in 14 years, a 2011 Patriot Latitude with 8,500 miles and Freedom Drive II (FDII). The MPG's so far are much better than expected. I was told to expect 19/21, but it appears to be higher as we've driven 100+ miles and the gas gauge has only moved to 3/4 full.

After having test-driven MANY Patriots with and without FDII, the FDII models are definitely quicker and have a stiffer suspension. They're most likely faster due to the lower axle gear ratios. That's also what gives them a lower MPG rating, but so far we're very pleased with both the mileage and the power.

We've owned Cherokees, a Grand Cherokee and a Liberty. The heavier suspension in the FDII Patriot makes it feel more like an older Jeep, which is kind of nice if you've had and like older Jeeps.

march is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2012, 06:01 PM   #17
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

How could it be quicker? Per the final drive ratios, the wheels should spin less at any given engine rpm. Also thus the lower mpg. I'm interested to find out how you're getting such good gas mileage in the same car I have that usually gets about 16.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2012, 06:14 PM   #18
march
2011 MK Patriot 

A lower gear ratio results in better acceleration because the engine is required to work harder for each wheel spin. The wheels spin less and the engine works harder in order to provide more thrust for each wheel spin. Because of this, Freedom Drive II's typically operate at around 3100 RPM at 74MPH. The engine works harder all the time. It also burns more fuel all of the time. Most muscle cars are designed this way. However 16MPG is too low for a 4-cylinder. Poor gas mileage is typically due to any of these factors:
1-Driving style
2-More city driving
3-New engine not fully broken in (which means that MPG's will eventually improve)
4-Fuel or mechanical issues.
Unread 10-01-2012, 07:55 PM   #19
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Typically. Which makes this that much more of a mystery. Car has 13,000 and some change. Still new but broken in by most standards. It's had about this mileage since day 1. Jeep dealer says everything checks out normal. I accelerate almost exclusively @ less than 2,000 rpm, and coast as long as possible before lights. I get gas at different stations. Tire pressure is 35 psi cold. Just like the door says.

The only time it gets it's rated mileage is on the highway.
Unread 10-02-2012, 06:59 AM   #20
march
2011 MK Patriot 

If there's a lot of stop & go traffic, that could do it. You could try non-ethanol fuel and/or synthetic oil and check the air filter and the snorkel to the air filter for debris. A five quart jug of full synthetic oil sells for about $20 at Walmart and the filter's about $5. The oil filter on a Patriot is accessed through a hole in the front skid plate. On another brand new car, I had a mouse nest in my air filter snorkel and the dealer never saw it. It kept the air filter looking like new because the mouse nest filtered all the air before it got to the filter. The car ran fine, it just got worse mileage.
Unread 10-02-2012, 04:56 PM   #21
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

We don't have non-ethanol in CA. I'll look for mice though

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.