New Patriot Owner - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > New Patriot Owner

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-29-2007, 11:10 PM   #1
poconoblues

New Patriot Owner

I just bought a 4WD Patriot Sport, 5 spd manual, 17" tires, 2.4L, Full size Spare, Fog Lights. I purchased the roof rail crossbars, custom Jeep mats, and a few other items seperately to put finishing touches on the vehicle. Can't wait to drive it off the lot. It's being built at the factory--the options I wanted are just not grouped together in the standard "show room" models. Delivery in two more weeks (been waitin' a few already!--keep ya' posted.)

I drove the LTD w/CVT -- that pretty much drew a vacuum, but maybe the CVT is a personal preference. For me, no CVT. I thought the CVT lacked pep, and the racing engine noise associated with compensating for optimum torque/hp/rpm/blah blah blah ratios....sorry...the marketing hype is losing me on that one. I know CVT's have been around for a little while, but I think they need to be around for a lot longer while before I'll put my money into them. Then there's that whole idea of a steel belt that is connecting the engine to the wheels via a computer controlled set of trans-conflabulating conical pullies. Hmmm..... maybe I think too much, but is there a flux capacitor in there too?

The manual tranny puts this respectable 4WD contender in the running. For those who prefer the more car like luxuries found in some SUV's--go for it. For me, I was looking for a Jeep, one with traditional Jeep styling, and with Jeep performance for the driving conditions I will encounter, and a couple of the comforts of an SUV with it's A/C & roomy passenger compartment.

I did test drive a Suzuki XL-7, Mitsubishi Montero, Nissan Murano (I know, don't shoot me,) Range Rover (some small crossover suv wannabe version--didn't like it--I let the sales person show that one...whatever!,) and a Jeep Liberty. The Liberty was nice, but just wasn't the style vehicle I was looking for and the gas mileage, well....

Stay tuned...more updates in mid-April!

poconoblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2007, 05:54 AM   #2
Rictus58

I picked up my Patriot on 3/8. I got the CVT because it is my wifes daily driver and she needed an automatic. The CVT does seem odd at first, but you quickly get used to it.
Rictus58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2007, 10:58 PM   #3
poconoblues

New Patriot Owner

Well, you've made a very important point. A lot of people prefer an automatic transmission. The CVT is a very innovative solution in that arena. I want to see the CVT progress and I think it can really challenge the present day automatics. I think the next 1 to 3 years are going to show some real innovation in automatic transmission solutions--at least, I certainly hope to see that happen!!! I think the current automatic will give way to CVT type solutions and I am looking forward to seeing that technology develop. In the mean time, we still have the present day 'automatics' vs the emerging 'CVT's' and those still are pitted against the current manuals. All in all, more power to the growing technologies. Manuals are known and understood--the developing CVT's (along with whatever else may be on the next horizon!) are still coming at us and showing up on the show room floor.

In the end, I'd say it's more a matter of matching the right set of features with the customer. For me, it's still the manual tranny.
poconoblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2007, 10:14 AM   #4
sracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoblues
Well, you've made a very important point. A lot of people prefer an automatic transmission. The CVT is a very innovative solution in that arena. I want to see the CVT progress and I think it can really challenge the present day automatics. I think the next 1 to 3 years are going to show some real innovation in automatic transmission solutions--at least, I certainly hope to see that happen!!! I think the current automatic will give way to CVT type solutions and I am looking forward to seeing that technology develop. In the mean time, we still have the present day 'automatics' vs the emerging 'CVT's' and those still are pitted against the current manuals. All in all, more power to the growing technologies. Manuals are known and understood--the developing CVT's (along with whatever else may be on the next horizon!) are still coming at us and showing up on the show room floor.

In the end, I'd say it's more a matter of matching the right set of features with the customer. For me, it's still the manual tranny.
Because of the vehicles I like (unique-looking with small engines) I buy them with manual transmissions. And when I was looking at the Patriot, I went in thinking about a manual. But after driving the CVT-equipped Limited that the dealer had, I decided to buy it. The CVT is awesome! The engine/transmission interaction feels quite different than a manual or traditional automatic, but once getting past that, I'm completely sold.
[/url][/SIZE]
sracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2010, 12:29 PM   #5
bassinhalman
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i have an 08 patriot with the 4wd manual. the only problem we have is the engine is so quiet it is hard to tell when to shift. i have started going by the tach........
Unread 08-18-2010, 01:05 PM   #6
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I rented a Patriot 4wd with the CVT in Arizona. It wasn't a bad performer. I was surprised that it wasn't a gutless wonder.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.