New Patriot downshifts funny. Should it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > New Patriot downshifts funny. Should it?

New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery MountsComplete Axle Options Expanded !!!! ECGSNEW Smittybilt Gen 2 9.5 winch at JeepHut.com

Unread 02-08-2014, 04:40 PM   #1
normbrockway
2014 MK Patriot 

New Patriot downshifts funny. Should it?

6 speed automatic, but feels like a manual downshifting into 1st gear. It slows the car down when it downshifts, just like I was braking with a manual transmission. Is this normal in this transmission. This is my first Jeep, and want to get some advice before I go complaining to the dealer.
Help

normbrockway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2014, 06:51 PM   #2
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

you are selecting a lower gear, it slows down. sounds like it should be to me. i do not run a mk. if i am in 2nd low and tap it to first with no added gas it will send you through the window if not for the seat belts.
Unread 02-09-2014, 12:55 PM   #3
chachums
2004 KJ Liberty 

Just got one myself, yes it's normal. Apparently after a few hundred miles you should start to notice it being a bit more smooth. That's coming from the manual though, I only gave 124 miles in mine so far
chachums is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2014, 04:23 PM   #4
DEF1ANT
2014 MK Compass 

The 6 speed automatic comes equipped with city braking assist. At slow speeds, around 20 mph and below, the transmission will hold the gear or downshift when you let go off the gas. It might feel weird at first but it's handy, no more having to move the foot around just to brake a little.

Also, if you are manually shifting the automatic. There's no need to downshift when coming to a stop. The transmission will put you in first gear automatically once stopped.
DEF1ANT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2014, 04:35 PM   #5
chachums
2004 KJ Liberty 

Dumb question but when manually shifting, only way to put it back into manual is to put it into neutral then back into drive... Is this true
Unread 02-10-2014, 05:12 PM   #6
festerw
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachums View Post
Dumb question but when manually shifting, only way to put it back into manual is to put it into neutral then back into drive... Is this true
If it's like the other autostick transmissions hold the stick towards the + side and hold it.
Unread 02-11-2014, 03:26 PM   #7
chachums
2004 KJ Liberty 

Never had an autostick lol thanks!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 02-11-2014, 03:59 PM   #8
chachums
2004 KJ Liberty 

Wow I feel likes *******, but it's clearly written right under the stick... Derp derp :-p

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 02-16-2014, 09:03 AM   #9
ASTMedic

Hey OP is it the new 6 speed auto or the CVT trans? The CVT shows 6 "gears" when in auto stick mode.
ASTMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2014, 12:09 PM   #10
caulk04
2008 WK 

14 doesn't have the CVT anymore. It's a Kia/Hyundai sourced 6spd auto.

Drives nicely though I did notice the autostick doesn't function like my WK does. My WK autostick simply stops it upshifting past whatever selected gear but will still kick-down as needed. The new Pat we have holds a selected gear, even at WOT. DIfferent, I like it.
Unread 02-21-2014, 08:17 PM   #11
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caulk04 View Post
2014 FDII models still have the CVT as it is necessary for the simulated "low-range", FWD and FDI models now use the Hyundai 6-spd auto.
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2014, 07:50 PM   #12
ASTMedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by caulk04 View Post

Drives nicely though I did notice the autostick doesn't function like my WK does. My WK autostick simply stops it upshifting past whatever selected gear but will still kick-down as needed. The new Pat we have holds a selected gear, even at WOT. DIfferent, I like it.
Just saw "new", didn't see how new.
ASTMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2014, 05:33 PM   #13
caulk04
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmill89 View Post
2014 FDII models still have the CVT as it is necessary for the simulated "low-range", FWD and FDI models now use the Hyundai 6-spd auto.
True, didn't think of that.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.