New Pat, couple of issues.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > New Pat, couple of issues....

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 09-10-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
JK-BADGER

New Pat, couple of issues....

Picked up a new '12 Latitude 4WD, manual, on Saturday.

Really digging it so far. Got a couple of hitches fresh from the factory, though.

The first is the HVAC - the floor vents don't work at all except in defrost mode. You can hear the 'tone' of the airflow changing...but it all comes out of the upper vents. Anyone else had this happen and have an idea what to check?

Second is a tick in the dash, sounds like its coming from deep in the dash just to the left of the steering wheel. Gets ticks and pops over broken pavement, almost like you'd expect a creak or rattle but just a single tick. I tried to track it down with a flash light and some prodding, but no luck. I will have to have this fixed; it will likely drive me to madness if I don't.

The obvious solutions is to take it to the dealer - its a brand new vehicle after all - but I'm a pretty handy guy and don't mind digging in. Just wanted to see if anyone else has had something similar, and how they fixed it.

Thanks in advance!

JK-BADGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 04:48 AM   #2
12compass
2012 MK Compass 

be happy thats all you have found lol and chrysler isnt very helpful they will look at it then they will tell you there is nothing wrong with it and if you wanna give up your vehicle to another dealership for a second opinion you can
12compass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 01:45 PM   #3
JeepCares

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK-BADGER View Post
The first is the HVAC - the floor vents don't work at all except in defrost mode. You can hear the 'tone' of the airflow changing...but it all comes out of the upper vents. Anyone else had this happen and have an idea what to check?

The obvious solutions is to take it to the dealer - its a brand new vehicle after all - but I'm a pretty handy guy and don't mind digging in. Just wanted to see if anyone else has had something similar, and how they fixed it.

Thanks in advance!
I think this is probably a dealer thing. Could be mode door/control related. I'm not diagnosing it over the internet, but probably something the dealer should be doing under warranty.
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 01:52 PM   #4
JK-BADGER

Yeah, I'm fully prepared for the next round of the Jeep ownership experience. This is my 4th Jeep now. Between having to fabricate a tool for the XJ just to replace some o-rings, to my '09 Rubi being in the shop more often than in my garage, to having interior damage done during replacement of warranty items, to being lied to my face....

So yeah, I fully expect more of the same. Apparently since I keep doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results, that makes me insane.

On the other hand, my '12 JKU has been flawless somehow.
Unread 09-11-2012, 01:58 PM   #5
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

I don't do the brand loyalty thing. I like trying different companies products and seeing how they all compare. So far I've had a Chevy, a Pontiac, a Volvo and a Jeep. Next I'm guessing will be a Ford or a Subaru.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 03:42 PM   #6
JK-BADGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by FujativeOCR View Post
I don't do the brand loyalty thing. I like trying different companies products and seeing how they all compare. So far I've had a Chevy, a Pontiac, a Volvo and a Jeep. Next I'm guessing will be a Ford or a Subaru.
Me neither...just had a lot of cars. Also in the fold have been Hyundai, Honda, Nissan, Mazda, Toyota, Ford, and Subaru. My other half has had Acura, Audi, Infiniti, and BMW. I can honestly say the only one I'd never buy again is Subaru. My 2009 Impreza was a god-awful vehicle in every sense of the word, I'll never go near that brand again.

Jeep just happens to have a lot of off-road capable and boxy station wagons that I like, so I've had a few.
Unread 09-11-2012, 04:07 PM   #7
12compass
2012 MK Compass 

my ultimate favorite vehicle i have ever owned is a tie between my dodge neon r/t that car was amazing and my 1970 chevy impala both were amazing this on the other hand is slightly disappointing i kick myself every day for not getting a 4x4 6 speed wrangler instead just because the gas mileage was worse
12compass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 05:20 PM   #8
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

I sometimes kick myself for the Pat, but truth be told it's still the only car in the price range that had everything I needed. 4wd, ground clearance, wagon space, warranty (forever), American*. Subaru and Volvo couldn't compete. Cadillac SRX cost too much, Ford quit making Taurus X. Volkswagen has no AWD, and again cant afford Audi. So even though the MPGs suck and the interior panels buzz and rattle, I had no other choice.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2012, 08:27 AM   #9
JK-BADGER

Found the source of the dash tick/pop. It was actually the driver's seat, being a ventriloquist and making the sound appear that it was sourced from the dashboard. I think it had to do with the height adjuster. I dropped it to the lowest setting (which is where it needs to be anyway since I'm tall) and the sound is gone. Good thing too, it was maddening.

Floor vents still don't work. It's going into the dealer for that tomorrow.
Unread 09-13-2012, 06:39 AM   #10
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I'm glad you found the problem! That ticking' stuff drives me nuts too.

Others have had issues with the vents too. It is a dealer issue to fix.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.