New noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > New noise

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-31-2013, 11:36 PM   #1
bigkat91
2011 MK Compass 

New noise

Today while driving I heard a whine/whirling noise from the engine/tranny when I would give it a light push on the throttle or when coasting. Is this normal or is something developing? It wasn't too windy today and the radio was off. I've had the raadio off before and haven't heard the noise before. Any thoughts?

bigkat91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2013, 09:38 AM   #2
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

How many miles? Ever change the cvt fluid? If you have a cvt?
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2013, 09:58 AM   #3
bigkat91
2011 MK Compass 

I have 58900 and change on it. I'm going to have the dealer look at it Monday. I took it out this morning to see if it would do it again and it did. I put it in neutral in the driveway and got the engine rpms to 2000-2500 range to see if it was the engine and it wasn't the same noise. Took it down a highway that was repaved a few years ago and got the noise mostly when accelerating. Like going from 30 mph to 60 mph and enough throttle to keep it at 2000 rpm. It's a CVT FD1 and I have yet to change the fluid.
Unread 06-01-2013, 10:37 AM   #4
bigkat91
2011 MK Compass 

I checked the CVT fluid just a few minutes ago it looks greenish/yellow but smells a little burnt to me. I have no idea what new fluid to smells like so I have no standard to go off of.
Unread 06-03-2013, 09:01 PM   #5
bigkat91
2011 MK Compass 

The dealer said the noise is normal. I guess if it fails I have proof I tried to get it fixed. They did find out that my Continental ContactPro Eco plus tires are starting to get bulges in the tread (high and low places). Looks like I'll be getting a set of tires soon.
Unread 06-04-2013, 10:54 AM   #6
LKWJEEPER
2009 KK Liberty 

Check out the youtube videos of a CVT failing. It will be an unmistakeable whirring noise.

The CVT does make a light whirring noise and its just a quirk of the transmission. Mine does it lightly all the time and will get a little bit louder once the engine has been put under stress.
LKWJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 03:59 PM   #7
bigkat91
2011 MK Compass 

Yea I hope it's just normal noise. With 60k on the clock I would have thought I'd have heard of by now. Any way might be trading it off come Jan for a new(er) GC. With a 25 mpg rating with the V6 and more room. It's tempting to do it now but it'd make things tight at the moment and that wouldn't be great. Still love the Compass hasn't stranded me yet .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.