New member intro with Patriot questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > New member intro with Patriot questions

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-04-2013, 03:52 PM   #1
AKriverrat907

New member intro with Patriot questions

Hi all, just stumbled onto this forum and was impressed with the knowledge here. I have always loved Jeeps but as of yet haven't made the plunge. That is about to change as the wife and I have decided on a Patriot Sport as our main ride and am trying to get a handle on what options to get. We definitely need 4x4 where we live. I also need the 2000 lb tow capacity. I don't do a lot of off-road but we do get out to the logging roads picking berries and such and a rainstorm when out there quickly turns the road to greased snot! I have been on the Jeep site looking at the option packages but am a bit confused. I would prefer a standard transmission but do like a low gear ratio for backing up the boat up our steepish driveway etc. I also think skid plates would be a good idea but whether I would really need them isn't certain. I guess my main question to the group is if I can get the increased tow capabilities without the off-road package (FD-2) which seems to come with many other options that I don't need such as the aluminum wheels and a/c. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by AKriverrat907; 10-04-2013 at 07:52 PM..
AKriverrat907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2013, 09:13 PM   #2
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

The all weather package would probably be the best option for you. You can get it with the FDI manual, gives you tow hooks, engine block heater, and other options. I believe it also includes the oil cooler (which gives you the 2000lb tow rating).

I have a FDII, and LOVE it, (check my links in my sig) but would not recommend it, unless you plan on actually going off road often. The FDI is plenty capable enough, especially if you don't plan on actually rock crawling.
aroundincircles is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2013, 05:48 AM   #3
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

This seems familiar? Think you have posted about this on other sites? Backing your boat up the driveway sounds familiar.

FDI all the way. FDII is for serious off roaders and has a huge impact on your MPG. IMO you do not need it and would never use it the way it is intended.

Get an FDI with the 2.4L( need it as the 2.0L can not tow 2000lbs ever - 1000lbs max period )and add the Tow package( oil cooler, full size spare, trailer wiring = $250 option ). That will give you the 2000lbs tow capacity and the FDI will handle your 4WD needs just fine without hurting MPG. If you find a vehicle you like on a lot that does not have the oil cooler it is added easy enough using a MOPAR kit.

Just be aware that the OEM tires are not great and some flat out suck. That is going to impact what you want to do far more than FDI vs FDII will. If you are going off road for berry picky where it might get slippery on the way back do yourself a big favor and get some decent tires.

You can either upgrade to some 225/65R17's that have a lot of good tires to pick from( max that fit without rubbing unless you have a lift and spacers )or get one of the few good options available in the OEM tire sizes( very few out there - mostly crappy passenger car class tires ). Tires are a definite area of concern on these vehicles as the OEM tires stink and the OEM sizes offer few if any decent options.

If you are the one with the big, steep, driveway that you have to back your boat up I would not get the 5spd. I would opt for the CVT( 2013 left over )or 6spd( 2014 ). You are going to trash your clutch.
Active Drive I
NHPATRIOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 09:27 AM   #4
AKriverrat907

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHPATRIOT View Post
This seems familiar? Think you have posted about this on other sites? Backing your boat up the driveway sounds familiar.

FDI all the way. FDII is for serious off roaders and has a huge impact on your MPG. IMO you do not need it and would never use it the way it is intended.

Get an FDI with the 2.4L( need it as the 2.0L can not tow 2000lbs ever - 1000lbs max period )and add the Tow package( oil cooler, full size spare, trailer wiring = $250 option ). That will give you the 2000lbs tow capacity and the FDI will handle your 4WD needs just fine without hurting MPG. If you find a vehicle you like on a lot that does not have the oil cooler it is added easy enough using a MOPAR kit.

Just be aware that the OEM tires are not great and some flat out suck. That is going to impact what you want to do far more than FDI vs FDII will. If you are going off road for berry picky where it might get slippery on the way back do yourself a big favor and get some decent tires.

You can either upgrade to some 225/65R17's that have a lot of good tires to pick from( max that fit without rubbing unless you have a lift and spacers )or get one of the few good options available in the OEM tire sizes( very few out there - mostly crappy passenger car class tires ). Tires are a definite area of concern on these vehicles as the OEM tires stink and the OEM sizes offer few if any decent options.

If you are the one with the big, steep, driveway that you have to back your boat up I would not get the 5spd. I would opt for the CVT( 2013 left over )or 6spd( 2014 ). You are going to trash your clutch.
That was me,and will take it under advisement. I do have a big low geared 65 chevy 4x4 truck that can easily spot the boat in my drive so that is likely what i will use should i end up getting the standard tranny.
AKriverrat907 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.