New member - 2014 Patriot - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > New member - 2014 Patriot

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJClayton Off Road JK Long Arm Upgrade Kits!

Unread 12-04-2013, 09:01 PM   #1
KIRK18

New member - 2014 Patriot

Hi all. I bought a 2014 Patriot last week on black Friday. I had never considered purchasing a Jeep, but two of our employees purchased Wranglers this year and after riding in both I found myself pleasantly surprised with the way they rode. I love boxey shaped vehicles and was always an admirer of the old Cherokees. I was planning on getting a new Caravan, but I couldn't get over how cheap the interior looks. Nonetheless, I picked up my Patriot for $17,500 and am really enjoying it. The interior is quiet, the CVT tranny is smooth, and the ride is comfortable.

My first question for you all is what do all the initials stand for I keep seeing? MK, YJ, etc...?

KIRK18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 07:26 AM   #2
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

that's a chassis designation. so for wranglers, they've made them for years, but have made big changes to it, so they've given them chassis designations to tell the different generations apart, Current generation of the wrangler is the JK, wrangler unlimited JKU. The patriot/compass chassis is the MK, if they come out with a new model, with the same name, it will probably get like a ML, or something. This is only really big with jeeps because of modifications. So after market makers can say "this part is compatible with TJ jeeps" or XJ jeeps. that way, you know what chassis you have and know quickly if the part fits your jeep or not.
aroundincircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #3
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

are not these terms from the Jeep community though? I have never heard of nor seen Chrysler ever call a wrangler other than that ever in a add or even in a deal you ask for Tj most will give that dear in the head lights look.

In the early days of Jeep all jeeps were CJ2a-Cj8 stands for Civilian Jeep. This was all the way through the last day of AMC's. when Chrysler bought them out they did not Buy the name Cj. We were given the first Wrangler with square head lights, to fit the times. This was not excepted well and I believe the term YJ was used as not so an enduring term "Y"(why) Jeep. At least that is what I have always thought...
Unread 12-05-2013, 01:53 PM   #4
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

all cars have a chassis designation.

example from GM:
Alpha - compact to midsize, RWD and AWD
Delta - compact, FWD
Epsilon - midsize, FWD
Gamma - subcompact, FWD
GM 4200 - subcompact, FWD
Sigma - midsize, RWD
W - midsize, FWD
Y - sports cars, RWD
Zeta - midsize to fullsize, RWD

GMT355 - mid-sized pickup truck, RWD and AWD
GMT900 - full-sized pickup truck and SUV, RWD and AWD
Lambda - crossover, FWD and AWD
Theta - crossover SUV, FWD and AWD
U - minivan, FWD

But typically most people don't bother to learn them, jeep people do. as the difference between a wrangler cj is huge compared to an XJ. and I can't think of a brand that gets modded more than jeeps do. if you ask a supra owner, or a skyline owner, he'll tell you which chassis he has, but a corolla owner? couldn't care less.

Jeep doesn't put it on their website, but if you go to any enthusiast function, they will brandish it everywhere. I'm sure its a carry over from when all jeeps were cj's but there has been a designation for every jeep made.

Technically the patriot has the designation MK74, where the compass is MK49
aroundincircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2013, 09:22 AM   #5
KIRK18

Very insightful. Thanks for the info. I had no idea what they stood for.

My first complaint on my Jeep, although very petty, is that in order to view the exterior temp I have to cycle thru the trip odometers to view it. I'd prefer it be displayed all the time.
Unread 12-06-2013, 10:25 AM   #6
ODubhGhaill
2014 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK18 View Post
Very insightful. Thanks for the info. I had no idea what they stood for.

My first complaint on my Jeep, although very petty, is that in order to view the exterior temp I have to cycle thru the trip odometers to view it. I'd prefer it be displayed all the time.
I keep ours set to the temp, then cylce through when I need to know mileage per tank (A) and mileage per oil change (B).

One thing, and probably the only thing that erks me is the speedo - why Jeep couldn't just put all the numbers by 10s rather than skipping the odd 10s is really frustrating and confusing, especially when needing to keep at 55, 75, etc.
ODubhGhaill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2013, 08:20 PM   #7
KIRK18

I also think it's odd the speedo is the left gauge and the RPM gauge is to the right, where your eyes typically go to first. I've never seen a display like this before.

Another quirk I've found is you can't turn on the dome light by itself. There's no switch or ability to tap it on. Another big annoyance is the rear tail gate. The plastic shell/trim is very large and I hit my head on it almost every time I open it.

I ordered a front and rear set of splash guards from my dealer. I always add these. I think they provide a more finished look. $23 per set.

A few little things I like... No reflectors in the rear bumper, no day time running lights, fog light location, matching painted grill, and rear bumper facia hides muffler/under body.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.